Gen 3 'busa has been dropped off at dealer to have ABM Superbike handlebar kit installed.

chobers

Donating Member
Registered
The kit cost an incredibly high (for me) $699- USD. I got it from Spiegler. They custom-cut the brake and clutch cables because the stock ones are too short.
Quality of all parts looks pretty good. The kit is supposed to raise the grips as high as 3" and move them back as far as 6", according to the info which came with the handlebar I selected. There are a number of choices for the handlebar: shape, diameter, color, material (aluminum or steel.)
I should probably hear something within a week; they're not too busy because the average daytime temperature around here has been 30 degrees F.

The kit cost an incredibly high (for me) $699- USD. I got it from Spiegler. They custom-cut the brake and clutch cables because the stock ones are too short.
The kit is supposed to raise the grips as high as 3" and move them back as far as 6", (...)
hi dude

3 inches higher?
hmmm - I've never measured the different heights of the handles (sb vs standard), but if I'm not mistaken, the sb-handlebars might reach so far up that the windshield will have to be trimmed (what i don´t like - better what i hate).

however, this could be easily avoided by “forming” a gap of approx. 3/4 - 1 inch wide between the brake and clutch fittings and the switches, into which the screen can then essentially sink. (see my homepage here.)
and
you definitely need other mirrors or blocks (under the 2 screws) to make the original ones higher.

otherwise, you'll hit your hand against the mirror when turning, which can lead to very unpleasant situations.

are there assembly instructions from spiegelr?
If so, I would like to read THAT one, even if it were written in English.

and!
regarding the price of the set - does it come from Germany or directly from the USA - I ask because of the possibly very high shipping costs from Germany.

and hell
700 bucks only for the material is damn expensive !

Would take an hour or two tops but perfection takes time. ...
lil contradiction

from my own experience over the last 15 years, the assembly at a NON-ABS version takes around 3-4 hours til the bike is 100% ready to be ridden .

at an ABS version it should take at least (ca. 1h) longer - the bleeding is a lot more difficult.

info:
alone the aligning of the 2 masters to the owner easily takes 15-20 minutes.

i hope the mechanic , who does the job at ur´s , is a pretty real professional and good craftsman !

lil contradiction

from my own experience over the last 15 years, the assembly at a NON-ABS version takes around 3-4 hours til the bike is 100% ready to be ridden .

at an ABS version it should take at least (ca. 1h) longer - the bleeding is a lot more difficult.

info:

i hope the mechanic , who does the job at ur´s , is a pretty real professional and good craftsman !
Depends if the mechanic has done it before, I’ve installed all 4 kits myself with the first one being the longest.

hi dude

3 inches higher?
hmmm - I've never measured the different heights of the handles (sb vs standard), but if I'm not mistaken, the sb-handlebars might reach so far up that the windshield will have to be trimmed (what i don´t like - better what i hate).

however, this could be easily avoided by “forming” a gap of approx. 3/4 - 1 inch wide between the brake and clutch fittings and the switches, into which the screen can then essentially sink. (see my homepage here.)
and
you definitely need other mirrors or blocks (under the 2 screws) to make the original ones higher.

otherwise, you'll hit your hand against the mirror when turning, which can lead to very unpleasant situations.

are there assembly instructions from spiegelr?
If so, I would like to read THAT one, even if it were written in English.

and!
regarding the price of the set - does it come from Germany or directly from the USA - I ask because of the possibly very high shipping costs from Germany.

and hell
700 bucks only for the material is damn expensive !

The kit came to Spiegler from Germany; ABM apparently doesn't ship to private customers in the states. I think Spiegler is their only authorized importer (?) Spiegler custom-cut the cables for the Hayabusa/0429 handlebar combo. So that probably upped the price. (0429 handlebar was recommended by ABM for the kit. I think it raises 3" but I forgot where I read that. Also, by rotating the handlebar in the clamps you change the distances.

At least I don't have to pay the 20% VAT. YOUCH!

The instructions are at the dealer with the kit. You definitely DO have to grind the windshield to allow lock-to-lock turning. Also have to drain brake fluid and do other stuff.

The kit came to Spiegler from Germany; ABM apparently doesn't ship to private customers in the states. I think Spiegler is their only authorized importer (?) Spiegler custom-cut the cables for the Hayabusa/0429 handlebar combo. So that probably upped the price. (0429 handlebar was recommended by ABM for the kit. I think it raises 3" but I forgot where I read that. Also, by rotating the handlebar in the clamps you change the distances.

At least I don't have to pay the 20% VAT. YOUCH!

The instructions are at the dealer with the kit. You definitely DO have to grind the windshield to allow lock-to-lock turning. Also have to drain brake fluid and do other stuff.
Bikermart from the UK would of shipped to you.

It should have come with the template where to cut the screen?.

(...) You definitely DO have to grind the windshield to allow lock-to-lock turning. Also have to drain brake fluid and do other stuff.
contradiction

the screen has NOT generally to be cutted / grinded.

see / read my page to that job (link above) !

the need to trim the screen usually results solely from the desire to how far the handlebar should be mounted turned forward
and
whether the gap between the switch units and the masters (left and right) should be formed.

I myself have probably already equipped 12-15 Hayabusa Gen1 & 2 with a superbike bridge and handlebar and haven't had to trim the windscreen once .

I had to trim the windshield on my Gen2 when I put the ABM top clamp on it.
I also never heard of them supplying a template, I measured and cut mine myself.

Screenshot_20240212-081409_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240212-081425_Gallery.jpg

contradiction

the screen has NOT generally to be cutted / grinded.

see / read my page to that job (link above) !

the need to trim the screen usually results solely from the desire to how far the handlebar should be mounted turned forward
and
whether the gap between the switch units and the masters (left and right) should be formed.

I myself have probably already equipped 12-15 Hayabusa Gen1 & 2 with a superbike bridge and handlebar and haven't had to trim the windscreen once .
I'm quoting the instructions, but it's fine with me if they're wrong. If I get them back in one piece I will post photos.

lil contradiction

info:

They seem like pros; I will know shortly.

I just got a call from the dealer; my bike is ready. Their labor rate is $100-/hr., which is less than most. The local Honda auto dealer charges $135-/hr. Anyway, the bill came to EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS. That's right; it took 8 hours to do it. It's a Gen. 3 so it has ABS, and apparently that's a lot of work right there. I didn't get into all the details on the phone because I was trying to enjoy a Valentines Day meal in a nice restaurant. (It's the last nice restaurant I'll be going to for a while.)
I don't know if they had to sculpt the windshield to make room for lock-to-lock steering. I'll be going to pick it up on a warmish day. It's 20 degrees F. right now. That'll give me some time to sell an organ or two to raise the cash.
BEWARE! Make sure you can't do it yourself before you sign up to spend this much money. When I get to the dealer, I will get the whole story and find out why it took so many hours to do.

Back