Gen 1 to Gen 2 conversion

I had a 2008 gen 2 orange. Brand new. 1800 miles later I ended up in a coma after putting her down with the speedometer pinned. The day I could walk again I went out and bought this bad boy. It had exactly 1800 miles on it. I think its a superstition, but i wont buy another gen 2. This bike and I have been through alot together and it's a reminder to keep me humble. I have replaced the engine and every piece on it for the most part. I plan on keeping it til the day I'm no long around. I will buy the next gen the day it comes out, but I refuse to buy another gen 2. I love everything about it which is why I converted her over. But she is still what she is at heart.

Well, you certainly poured your heart and soul into re-creating your former bike in beautiful form.

Going through a traumatic event such as your crash is a tough thing to over-come, I for one am glad you have found a way to do so.

Looks good, done this myself in the past, gsxr tail and all.
i did the swap with my 03 busa the gen 2 gauge works on the gen 1 wiring harness only the temperature gauge goes up and down when the engine is running, can someone help me with the correct pin to fix this?

I can appreciate the level of work involved and if it makes you happy... then... that is all the really maters.

Personally speaking from an appearance perspective... the Gen 1 flows and is less busy with bulges that really don't do much for me. A few minor mods like the tail section and combined with a paint job that works for the owner... to me it doesn't get much better than that. Simple, clean, and timeless...

I can appreciate the level of work involved and if it makes you happy... then... that is all the really maters.

Personally speaking from an appearance perspective... the Gen 1 flows and is less busy with bulges that really don't do much for me. A few minor mods like the tail section and combined with a paint job that works for the owner... to me it doesn't get much better than that. Simple, clean, and timeless...
Personally I want to go the other way, that is to put a gen2 engine, harness (but keeping the original Gen 1 dash) and throttle bodies into my 1999 Busa.
I also want to get it painted in the original Copper paint scheme.
Brembo brakes, Ohlins forks and shock, and lightweight wheels will finish it off...
THEN it will be the ultimate bike for me!
But for me, money is the limiting factor.
It’ll happen, soon, I’m formulating a plan to materialise my dream!

Personally I want to go the other way, that is to put a gen2 engine, harness (but keeping the original Gen 1 dash) and throttle bodies into my 1999 Busa.
Brembo brakes, Ohlins forks and shock, and lightweight wheels will finish it off...
If Suzuki didn't have it's head firmly planted up it's arse...they would have made the 20th anniversary bike copper and silver same as the 1999 model.....

Yep,definitely need some of this lol.

IMG_0024.JPG

i did the swap with my 03 busa the gen 2 gauge works on the gen 1 wiring harness only the temperature gauge goes up and down when the engine is running, can someone help me with the correct pin to fix this?
I kept the Gen 1 guage when I did it.

So I finally finished up my "gen 2" conversion. I didnt swap the motor and ecu, but I converted all cosmetics including radiator, oil cooler, and wired a gen 2 harness to the gen 1 ecu. I also did the gsxr 1000 tail conversion. If anyone is thinking of doing a conversion and has any questions, feel free to ask. I searched all over the internet and everything I found was missing critical information that I could of saved alot of time had I known.

View attachment 1626775

View attachment 1626776

View attachment 1626777

View attachment 1626778

View attachment 1626779
First all, love the bike! You did a hell of job!! So I have a Gen 1 as well and have been leaning towards a tail swap myself. I'm thinking of putting a gsxr 1000 tail on similar to what you did. I have been looking online and seen some kits available but they were $$$... So I found some subframes on ebay that were a good price but I wanted to know which year of the gsxr subframe will work for the conversion? Will I have to do any cutting other mods?

I had a 2008 gen 2 orange. Brand new. 1800 miles later I ended up in a coma after putting her down with the speedometer pinned. The day I could walk again I went out and bought this bad boy. It had exactly 1800 miles on it. I think its a superstition, but i wont buy another gen 2. This bike and I have been through alot together and it's a reminder to keep me humble. I have replaced the engine and every piece on it for the most part. I plan on keeping it til the day I'm no long around. I will buy the next gen the day it comes out, but I refuse to buy another gen 2. I love everything about it which is why I converted her over. But she is still what she is at heart.
Well since @Thecoolestone revived this thread i have to ask did you order your gen 3 the day or came out??? :poke: :poke:

Hi. You can do what I did with my Gen 1 motor. I bought a Marine 2mm stroker crank, with custom pistons you can keep the stronger 20 mm piston pins. Than you can clean up the head and put in +1mm Ti valves and better cams. Now for the trans put in a stronger counter shaft back cut the gears and micro polish it.

First all, love the bike! You did a hell of job!! So I have a Gen 1 as well and have been leaning towards a tail swap myself. I'm thinking of putting a gsxr 1000 tail on similar to what you did. I have been looking online and seen some kits available but they were $$$... So I found some subframes on ebay that were a good price but I wanted to know which year of the gsxr subframe will work for the conversion? Will I have to do any cutting other mods?
It's possible to
Well since @Thecoolestone revived this thread i have to ask did you order your gen 3 the day or came out??? :poke: :poke:
No... Trying to get a new Z06 first

Back