Gen 1 - Recommended Mods For 1st Drag Bike

Bilbo1425

Registered
Hi

I'm sure this has been covered many times, so apologies if so.
Can anyone recommend some basic mods to convert a stock Gen 1 into a drag bike?

Initially I will focus on getting the chassis right, and learn to get the most out of it, then i will look at more radical engine mods etc.

Any suggestions on best way of lowering the front (and by how much)?
Are bolt on rear extensions any good, or would a new swing arm be best?
Would a new clutch and airshifter be a good shout before going crazy modding an engine?

Any tips at all would be massively appreciated.

Cheers
Billy

Street/drag bike
Upper triple tree clamp
Front strap kit
Rear lowering links
Swingarm
Shock revalved or buy a gen 2 shock

Total drag bike
Cut front forks
Low price front tire
Lowering front fender
Delete one rotor and caliper
Front strap kit
3/4 upper race plastic
Flat pan
Sidewinder
Lowering link
Swingarm
Aftermarket shock, or gen 2 shock and revalve

I have a gen one. I did the total drag set up I listed above. I listed all the chassis stuff you will want to do. You will also want to do clutch mod and auto shifter with auto shift. I have gone 9.20s with my bike stock motor on 87 pump gas. Bike had more in it if I switched to mr12 and lost more weight. Bike weighed 470 and I was 200 suited at the time.

Bike did go 9.02 with a 50 or 60 shot but the slave cylinder cracked which caused problems with the launching. Was only able to cut mid 1.5s 60 foot. Before that I was cutting high 1.3s to low 1.4s

kickmod-jpg.7239.jpg

Great, thanks for the info!

The total drag sounds like the route I will be going. A couple of quick questions if that's ok.

What lowering link did u go with, and what swing arm? I was looking at bolt ons as a budget option, but are they no good?

Also what shock did you go with? I've heard Penske are good, but I guess a gen 2 revalve would be easier on the $$.

I have an airshifter sorted, and was thinking of the clutch mod that Brocks do, what clutch mod did u go with?

Lastly, any recommended sites for looking for second hand parts?

Thanks again

racetech can respring and revalve your stock shock, even add a remote reservoir, for a good deal less than a penske.

brocks is cheaper than both, and I think they're manufactured by Öhlins.

You can get a race tech gold valve kit for rear, gold valve kit for front, and proper race tech front fork springs for your weight/bike and still have some $$$ in the bank compared to a Penske or Ohlins Shock

Honestly..... don't know if you raced before or if this is something you just wanna try out. I wouldn't go dumping a bunch of $$$ into high end aftermarket parts until you know your in it for the long haul and you enjoy it.

Great, thanks for the answers, I appreciate it, it's a good help.

I have raced before, but in all honesty I was only 21 and just rode the thing, my dad did the work, so plan on building this myself and learning as I go.

I found this video on YouTube, thought the bit about how the front was lowered was interesting, (removed fender and main beam).

I might try this, then racetech kit for rear, new swing arm, lowering links, airshifter and clutch mod. Will then learn to ride it properly and getting before doing anything else.

Thanks again, any other thoughts welcome as I'm not overly experienced on the mechinal/build side.

Cheers

Great, thanks for the answers,
I appreciate it, it's a good help .

I have raced before, but in all honesty I was only 21 and just rode the thing,
my dad did the work, so plan on building this myself and learning as I go .

Thanks again, any other thoughts welcome as I'm not overly experienced on the mechanical / build side .

Cheers .

Thank God for our Dads teaching us fundamentals ~ but it takes more than building a bike to go fast . . .

Believe in my personal observations or not ~ many Hayabusa owners know how to ride . . .

The people that can't ~ make it to the grave .
Hi all. My set up Trac 2 inch slammers in front with a McIntosh top tree. A McIntosh 6 to 12 over arm and lowering links from Powerhouse. A Penske shock 1 inch shorter with a titanium spring set to my weight and sag set front and rear.

People have had good luck with just a gen 2 stock rear shock. Takes some time to get it adjusted right. I would buy a used swingarm. I bought mine off ebay. I would buy everything used if possible. I would get adjustable lowering links. Not the ones with multiple holes. Those are junk.

Iam running a gen 1 shock with a gen 2 spring. But the shock was revalved. I will be replacing that with a penske shock this winter. As my bike has a 1397 now and will be spraying it next year.

Back