G2 Tamer Throttle Tube

What's the R1 throttle mod?

Wrong direction Russ:laugh:
The R1 throttle tube will fit in place of the Busa's without modification. It also opens completely without having to turn as far. It's great for drag racing, or anyone who wants to get to wide open throttle as quickly as possible.
But it also takes Alot of the smoothness out of your throttle response, as you now twist even less to accomplish the same.
Not what you would want 65 Cobra:beerchug:

Update: I worked on the throttle cable yesterday but didn't have a lot of time so I did the best I could and will take another look this weekend. Free play was actually less than the 2mm-4mm recommended in the service manual so I adjusted it to 3mm. Squirted throttle cable lube up the cable, although I'm not sure how far up it went. Greased the groove in the throttle pully at the left side of the carbs per the manual when I noticed mine looked like it was never greased.

Took the bike out last night. Although it is better, it's still doesn't feel right, including a jerk when coming out of a slow turn in 2nd gear. This weekend I'll double check the free play and take a look at the area up near the throttle grip.

You may have an adjustment problem, I can take off with a wine glass filled from a stop light with not a drop spilled if I have to.

Keep us up to date. I will get to mine when I have time.

Sous, I didn't forget... last weekend was a bust... but I did manage to take a look at the other end of the cable tonight, the end near the throttle grip.

At least this end was greased at some point, but there was barely anything there so I applied a coat of fresh grease working the throttle cable back and forth at the same time.

I also planned to squirt more cable lube down into the throttle cable, figuring I could do a better job shooting it in from the high point, but no can do. Turns out this end is sealed with tiny rubber boots, so the cable enters the casing through a tiny hole in the boot. That means there is no way to to get a spray tube into the casing.

So all I could do was grease the cable at the throttle grip end. I'll be heading out in the morning on the bike so I'll post the results when I get back later in the day. Unfortunately I'm not expecting anything different.

Sounds good, I have been out of contact for a few days on field exercise and am now just getting back online. I will have to take a look at mine soon.

at that low of mileage i wouldnt think the cush drive rubbers could be bad yet. That would mean that bike seen some serious launching but id say adjustment aswell. Hope it all works out good man

I wanted to wait until I had the bike out a couple times so sorry for the delay. Although the situation has improved since adjusting and greasing the throttle cables, the throttle still isn't right. The problem only occurs when opening the throttle from a closed position... it's that first moment when the engine reacts to fuel which causes the bike to jerk. It's never an issue when shifting or riding at speed and I normally don't notice it when taking off from a standing stop because using the clutch masks the issue. But I can tell it's a throttle problem when opening the throttle coming out of a very slow turn, or when taking off from a standing stop on a hill. Granted the latter issue will improve the more I use the bike, but I don't see it going away completely.

At this point I'm not going to do anything since it doesn't happen that often but if I can't come up with any other ideas, I just might give the G2 Tamer a try... probably not until next summer. But when I do, I'll post the results here. In the meantime if anyone has any other thoughts, I'd still like to hear them.

Sounds good, another option may be to remove the cable in order to get grease throughout it. Then put the cable back on after you are sure it is greased all the way through.

Sounds good, another option may be to remove the cable in order to get grease throughout it. Then put the cable back on after you are sure it is greased all the way through.

That's a good thought... maybe I can give that a try before the season ends and if it doesn't work, I'll try the G2 Tamer next spring. Thanks.

I'm now wondering, since the bike is a 2008 and only had 1,400 miles on the odometer, I wonder if the fuel injectors need cleaned from it sitting so much over the years. I just added some STP Fuel Injector cleaner to the tank and plan to take it out for a ride tomorrow. Not sure what anyone thinks about that stuff, but it's another alternative.

You can lube the cables and adjust the slack out of the throttle tube itself and you may improve it some, but I bet you it won't go away completely. It also has nothing to do with the injectors. My 08 is very agressive off of idle when opening the throttle. I adjusted the slack in the cables which made the throttle tube less sloppy, but regardless, when the cable opens the throttle bodies it's very abrupt. A GOOD dyno tune could possibly smooth it out a little more, but to me it just seems to be the nature of the beast for certain bikes. I understand your complaint and would like to improve mine too, but really you just need to make your right wrist and clutch fingers that much more precise. That's the best way I've found to make it go away.:beerchug:

You may have an adjustment problem, I can take off with a wine glass filled from a stop light with not a drop spilled if I have to.

I can too, but the throttle opening is very abrupt on my bike in particular, and it's adjusted correctly.:beerchug:

Although I think I mentioned this before but when I originally checked throttle play at the hand grip, it was on the tight side. I was actually relieved thinking I located the problem and increased the play when I first lubed the cable and components at the throttle bodies. Abrupt... yes... a more appropriate description, thanks... and I'm okay with making another attempt even though a more thorough cable lube will likely not change anything. As far as making the wrist and clutch fingers more precise, I'm older than most... probably everyone... on this site so I'd be lucky if I can keep mine from going in the other direction :please: At some point I'll contact someone at G2 Tamer to make sure I can return the unit if it doesn't eliminate the issue. If it does, then I have no problem spending the money. Thanks

I almost hate to post this but, is there any way that there could be a whole lot of excessive slack in your chain causing a back lash effect in your on off throttle position such as in a corner?

I almost hate to post this but, is there any way that there could be a whole lot of excessive slack in your chain causing a back lash effect in your on off throttle position such as in a corner?

Not in mine. 100% that it's just that the throttle opens very abruptly. I've owned and worked on many bikes over the years and I know how to improve or correct this problem. This just seems to be the way my bike is, as well as a couple others I've ridden, and possibly 65 Cobra's too. Best way to describe it I can think is that it's as if there wasn't enough fine adjustment for the throttle opening.
Exagerated example; The throttle will open 1% with the slightest twist, then gradually 2%, 3 and so on. Mine seems as if it jumps right to 15% to 20% right off idle. I have to make a concious effort to be extra smooth on the gas and clutch taking off. If the throttle is closed in gear and I get back on the gas, it jerks(and that's at a gear and rpm where it should be very smooth).
I've gotten used to it and as I said before I assume it's just the nature of the beast in my case. I think 65 Cobra's issue may be the same.
I do seriously wonder if there is just something about certain bike's(as no 2 are identical), and if a good dyno tune may improve it some. I aslo agree that worn cush drives, excess chain slack, improperly adjusted cables, and other factors can cause this effect. Although in this situation I do not belive that is the case.:beerchug:

I am sure you are right, I only mentioned it because it is so easy to check and so easy to over look. I had an 08 and now have an 09 they both are a little jumpy in a 2nd gear slow corner in an off-on throttle situation.

Back