G2 Tamer Throttle Tube

65Cobra

Registered
I recently purchased a mint '08 orange/black with 1,453 miles. My only complaint is the throttle... not nearly as smooth when starting out from a standing stop as it is on my '99. The throttle wants to jump coming off idle making it somewhat tricky to make a smooth start at times, especially on a hill.

A friend who owns a new Ducati Monster had the same problem with his bike but said a G2 Tamer Throttle fixed the problem. They claim the problem is common with modern fuel injected street bikes. Before I go this route I wondered if anyone here has tried one and what they thought. Their site is at G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tubes and Moto Parts

In case, this has a bearing... the bike came with Yoshimura slip-ons and a K&N Air Filter, but no Power Commander, so I'm wondering what kind of affect that may have had. And I admittingly removed the Silencers from the slip-ons... couldn't resist the better sound. The only unknown is if the ECU was ever flashed... I'd guess not, but I'm trying to contact the previous owner to find out for sure.

Thanks

Well IMHO I'd put a couple thousand miles on the bike and get a feel for the throttle before killing throttle response with an $80 grip.

With your mods you shouldn't need to touch the ECU. The Gen II ECU can easily keep up with those mods.

We actually have guys putting R1 throttle bodies on the Gen II to make them more responsive and deleting secondaries. I think you'll be alright once you get use to it.

Maybe the Gen 2 has a little extra "Ummmmph" you need to get used to :dunno:

Think the tamer is a double edged sword you may not be able to get WOT without twisting your whole arm instead of your wrist :laugh:

First make sure you've got all the slack adjusted out of the throttle cables(don't adjust it too tight-try it with the bars turned first). It does make a difference.

I have not experienced anything like what you are talking about. My '08 is smooth as silk from a standing start.

I see where he is coming from, my 08 has a bit of a light jerk when I first open the throttle. I am going to replace the cush drives and adjust the throttle cable soon though and see if that takes care of it. It is not a big deal, just a minor issue when I start to accelerate coming out of a turn or something like that.

Thanks everyone for the replies... much appreciated.

Busa1166... The Tamer changes the curve so it's less aggressive early on, but becomes more aggressive by the time you reach half throttle, so full throttle is at the same point as before. They also have different cams that let you adjust the curve to fit your particular needs.

But I agree I should hold off before doing anything that drastic and will only consider it as a last resort. Especially considering I haven't found anyone else with a Busa that uses it.

dadofthree... Is that because the GEN II ECU is using the O2 Sensor to adjust the air/fuel accordingly?

jefro... good point. I will check the throttle adjustment this week.

Sous... that's a good example as it also happens with me. The slower I come out of a turn, the more noticeable it is. Sometimes I just give it the slightest turn and the bike jumps... it's that unexpected jump that I hate. I shouldn't have to think about it... the bike should just come out of the turn smoothly.

I see where he is coming from, my 08 has a bit of a light jerk when I first open the throttle.
Either poor technique or throttle not properly adjusted would be my guess. Of course, NOBODY on this forum has anything less than perfect technique, so I'd check the throttle adjustment before spending money on something else that may cure it.

Either poor technique or throttle not properly adjusted would be my guess. Of course, NOBODY on this forum has anything less than perfect technique, so I'd check the throttle adjustment before spending money on something else that may cure it.

In that case it HAS to be the throttle :whistle:

Of course I can't speak for Sous. Maybe he's getting a little soft since installing his cruise control :rofl:

One member you might want to reach out to is TufBusa. There is no aspect of riding he is not an expert on. Rumour has it Valentino Rossi seeks his advice from time to time.

I am by no means an expert, but I do consider myself a decent rider. I have taken the MSF basic, MSF advanced and a sport bike riders course all at the cost of my dime. I have been to the dragon numerous times and have been riding for many years now. There is always room for improvement though, and I am sure I need it.

The bike has slowly developed this touchiness over the years. Don't get me wrong and think that when I am rolling on in the exit of a turn that the bike jumps and nearly brings the front end up. It simply has a bit of a jerk when it comes off of idle or very low throttle going into a turn and then out. Does that make sense? It is not a big deal, just something I will look into the next time I tear the bike down.

So, despite the fact that you feel we are all perfect riders, there are things I can do to eliminate this issue. I can check the throttle cable, cush drives, adjust riding style for the way the bike is starting to behave or figure something else out.

I would check the throttle cable too. I had too much initial take up from the factory. It jerked like that because without realizing it you twist the throttle and nothing happens, then all of a sudden you hit where it is actually affecting the throttle bodies. I tightened mine up quite a bit and checked it at idle with the bars turned in both directions. Then ride it and make sure it is nice and smooth. If it is too tight it will rev up when you turn the bars. Once it was tightened up it became much smoother. In fact it is getting ready to be re-tightened.

I would check the throttle cable too. I had too much initial take up from the factory. It jerked like that because without realizing it you twist the throttle and nothing happens, then all of a sudden you hit where it is actually affecting the throttle bodies. I tightened mine up quite a bit and checked it at idle with the bars turned in both directions. Then ride it and make sure it is nice and smooth. If it is too tight it will rev up when you turn the bars. Once it was tightened up it became much smoother. In fact it is getting ready to be re-tightened.

I figure that is the problem, by the time I get home and settled there is not enough time in the day. On the weekends we are remodeling a 30 year old home that sat vacant for over a year ourselves, so very busy then too. I only manage to find time for the Busa every once in a while. When I finally got around to installing the CC, it had been in my basement for a year.

I will get around to it one of these days and post the results here.

Thanks everyone for the replies... much appreciated.

dadofthree... Is that because the GEN II ECU is using the O2 Sensor to adjust the air/fuel accordingly?

Yes :beerchug: It has it's limits, but slip-ons make little difference in flow and the Gen II should easily handle it.

Sous... that's a good example as it also happens with me. The slower I come out of a turn, the more noticeable it is. Sometimes I just give it the slightest turn and the bike jumps... it's that unexpected jump that I hate. I shouldn't have to think about it... the bike should just come out of the turn smoothly.[/QUOTE]

I had the same complaint. Narrowed it down to the back torque limiter. Replaced it with Brocks Clutch Mod and wished I had done it sooner. The BTL adds ALOT of driveline lash at low rev/speed and makes clutch and throttle feel unpredictable to some ppl.

Botched attempt at qouteing on my phone,srry
Posted via Mobile Device

The throttle in general is very touchy and I have often felt the buck of the engine jumping when I inadvertanly opened it up. This actually happened this past weekend on some really tight/technical twisties, gave me a heart attack (figurativly)... In addition, on really rough road i tend to jerk the throttle around causing the same unexpected and somewhat dangerous swift movements.

Now, for me, the mode selector comes in handy when 1 - Im in the twisties and am starting to feel some fatigue, as this is when I tend to freak out the throttle. 2- when on rough road and the grip (throttle) is bouncing around all over the road bumps...

Using either B or C will make the throttle less responsive and can take the sudden opening without throwing you around, try it out one day.

I think the Busa is a little jerky down real low but not to the point of being a problem. As has been said already keeping the throttle and chain adjusted is critical on any bike with this kind of power. Also getting the throttle bodies synced might be helpful. Basically be sure everything on the intake side is in propper working form.

You might also be riding in too low a gear and snapping the throttle open and closed as you ride. The Busa likes fluid control work.

I am by no means an expert, but I do consider myself a decent rider. I have taken the MSF basic, MSF advanced and a sport bike riders course all at the cost of my dime. I have been to the dragon numerous times and have been riding for many years now. There is always room for improvement though, and I am sure I need it.

The bike has slowly developed this touchiness over the years. Don't get me wrong and think that when I am rolling on in the exit of a turn that the bike jumps and nearly brings the front end up. It simply has a bit of a jerk when it comes off of idle or very low throttle going into a turn and then out. Does that make sense? It is not a big deal, just something I will look into the next time I tear the bike down.

So, despite the fact that you feel we are all perfect riders, there are things I can do to eliminate this issue. I can check the throttle cable, cush drives, adjust riding style for the way the bike is starting to behave or figure something else out.

It's not just you, mine does it too. In this case it IS the bike, and not the rider. I have ridden several other Busa's, some do it, some don't. I adjusted my throttle cables after I got the bike, and it did improve some. Maybe new cush drives will help, I'll find out soon enough as I'de planned on ordering some soon anyway.
It has a sudden jerk just off of idle. It's no big deal to me and I'm used to it.
I also don't care if and who thinks I can't ride because of it. Point being, I don't have the problem when taking off from a dead stop being smooth on the clutch. If I let off the gas in any gear at any speed, and without lugging the engine, when I roll back into the throttle, it jerks.:beerchug:

Back