Fork Seals, is this normal?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Or first signs that I'm soon to be needing new ones? You see the lines on the fork tube?

4B1DB6E5-507C-4B91-97D7-6876E8CB9BC9-7803-00000C5D9598F97F.jpg

Thats what they look like before they really leak!

you're fine sir. Lots of miles left in that one. When you can rub a finger on the fork tube and get oil on your finger you might want to consider replacing them.

Agree, I have seen them at 30k miles look like that and still not leaking... wipe them clean with a good degreaser... when you see fluid leaking down them or residual oil staying on them then do seals..

You don't change a dry baby cause you see a fart stain in his diaper do you? :rofl:

you're fine sir. Lots of miles left in that one. When you can rub a finger on the fork tube and get oil on your finger you might want to consider replacing them.

Agree, I have seen them at 30k miles look like that and still not leaking... wipe them clean with a good degreaser... when you see fluid leaking down them or residual oil staying on them then do seals..

You don't change a dry baby cause you see a fart stain in his diaper do you? :rofl:

:rofl:

Yea, well I've got 37K of riding like I stole her. You sissys need to stop cleaning and looking your bikes over and ride them :laugh:

Or first signs that I'm soon to be needing new ones? You see the lines on the fork tube?

4B1DB6E5-507C-4B91-97D7-6876E8CB9BC9-7803-00000C5D9598F97F.jpg

Its funny you posted this. I just got my bike back last night and we noticed that mine are doing the same thing. He asked if I do alot of wheelies. I said I've done 3-4 since I've had it. :whistle: He said it only takes one. He said to see if my warranty will replace them before it runs out. We'll see what they say. I'm calling today.

I don,t think this is a problem, mine do that to , as posted before when they leak , you will see the seeping and gathered dirt.

Those marks aren't oil leaks! It's just a mark left on the tube from where the seal or bushing is riding when you're riding and the suspension is sagging when you sit on the bike. I would say most all of us would see the same thing if we went out and looked at our bikes. You'll know when fork seals are blown and they start to leak cause you'll see OIL not a mark on the tube where the seal rides.

I made my own sealmates out of a plastic water bottle. They did the trick for me. It worked so good I bought the sealmate tool the next time I saw it hanging in a shop to continue routine cleaning intervals.??? My forks did stop leaking//seaping.Took a while to eventually wipe all the oil residue off the fork.My question now is there anyway to verify the oil level in the fork without removing it from the bike????

I made my own sealmates out of a plastic water bottle. They did the trick for me. It worked so good I bought the sealmate tool the next time I saw it hanging in a shop to continue routine cleaning intervals.??? My forks did stop leaking//seaping.Took a while to eventually wipe all the oil residue off the fork.My question now is there anyway to verify the oil level in the fork without removing it from the bike????

No sir.

Actually there is a way to measure the oil level without removing the fork from the bike.

Most if not all suspension shops have a tube device they use to accurately adjust the oil level. It's really the only way to "Accurately" set the oil volume to a predetermined level.

See photo below. The problem with using the tool is you must first un-screw the fork cartridge cap and remove the spring. However, this is the "ONLY" way to adjust the oil level with accuracy by over filling the oil then sucking the excess oil out until the proper level is reached.

Us track junkies don't always use the factory recommended oil level for the forks. We have learned that adjusting the oil level up/down effects how the fork performs and we use it to our advantage.

Fork Oil tool.jpg

Back