Another Run at Fork Seals

thank you. :thumbs: this made it much easier.
i kept looking over this thread. so much so my puter died and i went and got the cord and plugged it in in the shop. :thumbs:
i put in 470-480ml of 5w fork oil in for my Gen1.
let's see if she holds.

:beerchug:

Hi guys,took fork legs off but bolt on the bottom is just spinning round and round ?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

You can try a couple of things. Press the fork into some rags or something on the floor to try and compress the spring and supply some resistance. The second is to unscrew the top cap and move the cartridge to the side to try and put it in a bind then try the impact again. Good luck!

You can try a couple of things. Press the fork into some rags or something on the floor to try and compress the spring and supply some resistance. The second is to unscrew the top cap and move the cartridge to the side to try and put it in a bind then try the impact again. Good luck!
Thanks again will try this and let you know:bigsmile:

Hey digger, I went up to 1.0 kg/mm spring rate in the front and did not need a spring compressor. One person could compress the front springs, but two is better. One to hold the shock and the other to compress the spring. Not the same story for the rear though :)

thanks Twobrothers and kat600 i am ordering parts now, and no problem with the rear as I have it on a hard strut back there, this is quite a blessing. I do all my own work except for engine internals and I leave that task to Carpenter Racing. I will update after I get them changed this week and thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I can't believe I'm about to take a shot at this....

OMG I can't believe I'm about to take a shot at this....

The most issue I had was making sure I didn't turn the lip of the seal when putting the tube back in so it would seal properly and also making sure the correct level of fluid went into each tube. Using a impact will make it a ton easier to get that tube apart the first time. Compressing the tube and hitting that nut with an impact once or twice while compressing the fork will zip it right off. If try to fight it with a wrench may be there for a while pissing, moaning, and eventually throwing the tube through a brick wall.

Well....IF I only had all the parts...short the O-rings and Crush Washers.....:banghead::banghead:

Back