blown fork seals and heavier springs?

I was pretty nervous about doing it myself too. Jump in there! I promise you'll be sitting there 2 hours later asking where the hell these people get off charging that much! If not John would have been my first choice over anywhere close to me. He is a honest straight up guy, says alot more than I can say for shops here. Justin will get you all the parts cheaper than anywhere else.

I was pretty nervous about doing it myself too. Jump in there! I promise you'll be sitting there 2 hours later asking where the hell these people get off charging that much! If not John would have been my first choice over anywhere close to me. He is a honest straight up guy, says alot more than I can say for shops here. Justin will get you all the parts cheaper than anywhere else.

+1
Compressing the springs can be a little awkward, but otherwise it's a very simple job.

Fill the tube and syphon the fluid down to the correct heigth too, don't just fill the fork with the specified amount of fluid.:beerchug:

+1
Compressing the springs can be a little awkward, but otherwise it's a very simple job.

Fill the tube and syphon the fluid down to the correct heigth too, don't just fill the fork with the specified amount of fluid.:beerchug:

I am still a little foggy on filling to the proper level Traxxion says my fork setup I need to set my oil level to 110MM I get that part it needs to have 110MM of free space to the top of the fork tube. I am just not clear on the bleeding process to make sure I have all the air out of the cartridge assembly. :dunno:
nothing on the internet detailed about this procedure

I am still a little foggy on filling to the proper level Traxxion says my fork setup I need to set my oil level to 110MM I get that part it needs to have 110MM of free space to the top of the fork tube. I am just not clear on the bleeding process to make sure I have all the air out of the cartridge assembly. :dunno:
nothing on the internet detailed about this procedure

Slide the rod inside the cartridge up and down until no more bubbles rise to the top of the fluid.
I always let it sit for a couple minutes and repeat.
Then syphon the fluid down.

Slide the rod inside the cartridge up and down until no more bubbles rise to the top of the fluid.
I always let it sit for a couple minutes and repeat.
Then syphon the fluid down.

I am assuming with the catridge bolted in the tube? Different from how I disassembled it,
I removed the lower bolt (allen head at the bottom of the forks) removed the top cap slid the cartridge out and then compressed the spring.
Guessing I am going to have to assemble it a little different in order to bleed the cartridge, and then install the spring while its in the tube :dunno:

Ahhh no wonder why they sell a bleeder (rod /tool) guess I will be fabricating one tonight. Already got the syringe, and steel measuring line from work.

Yes.
After you bleed the air out and syphon the fluid down you thread the cap back on.
Don't overthink it, you'll understand when you see it.
Worst part for me has always been compressing the springs.
An extra set of hands helps, and a regular shop press makes it even easier(with some riggin:laugh:).
If it was just a seal swap it would be painless.
You can set the end of a pair of calipers on the top of the tube and slide the rod down to the fluid to measure too.

Thanks Marty:beerchug:

They said to set the oil to 110MM, So i guess fill em up pump pump pump sit rest pump pump and pump some more till no air bubbles appear, then syphon the oil down 110MM from the top of the tube? sounds simple enough..

I actually made a spring compressor for a few bucks and use an old full face helmet incase anything should go wrong to prevent getting some toofers knocked out.:laugh: )))))BOING(((((

Thanks Marty:beerchug:

They said to set the oil to 110MM, So i guess fill em up pump pump pump sit rest pump pump and pump some more till no air bubbles appear, then syphon the oil down 110MM from the top of the tube? sounds simple enough..

I actually made a spring compressor for a few bucks and use an old full face helmet incase anything should go wrong to prevent getting some toofers knocked out.:laugh: )))))BOING(((((

:laugh:
Unless the spring is in a press, there's no real concern of it doing you any harm.
My Dad made the tools for me years ago, saved me a fortune.
I've also never had any problems getting the air out quickly.
First one is always fun, second one is easy.:laugh:

The springs came in today:cheerleader: I am still waiting on the seals and oil from Justin:whistle:, Justin?:laugh:
I made an oil level from some parts from work and I got a rubber plug from Lowes that was the perfect size to fit in the 43MM tubes:cheerleader: The plug with squeeze in to the tube and its measured out 110MM as suggested from Traxxion.
Also made an oil bleeder tool with threaded rod and a nut to thread on to the damper rod:cheerleader: Hopefully :please: my oil and seals will be here tomorrow.

fork springs.jpg

Fork Oil Level.jpg

Fork Oil Level II.jpg

The springs came in today:cheerleader: I am still waiting on the seals and oil from Justin:whistle:, Justin?:laugh:
Hopefully :please: my oil and seals will be here tomorrow.

Pssshhhhh make sure you're home tomorrow when the UPS truck drives by :laugh:

Back