Blown Fork Seals

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I got my wheelies down pact, but here's the deal, I blew my right fork seal during the learning process and now need a rebuild. How much should I expect? And what's the best way to get them off?

By the way, it's leaking BAD. is this a good time to get my steering damper oil replaced as well. I hear putting a heavier weight helps significantly with handling.

Regards!

Well, I got my wheelies down pact, but here's the deal, I blew my right fork seal during the learning process and now need a rebuild. How much should I expect? And what's the best way to get them off?

By the way, it's leaking BAD. is this a good time to get my steering damper oil replaced as well. I hear putting a heavier weight helps significantly with handling.

Regards!
Fork seals - I've read that most can do them themselves for cheap.
Damper - Yes, change at the same time.

The fork seals are best done as a 2 person job, but is fairy simple and painless.

Traxxion Dynamics makes a spring compression tool that you MUST HAVE in order to take the fork apart. Or, if you are handy, look in the "Maintenance and Do-it-Yourslelf" section and look at CAT3's write-up about the "Fork Service How-TO", he makes his own compression tool in there, and is a great thread to go by!

Not sure if you plan on doing both forks or not, but if you've already blown one seal, chances are the next one is not too far away. May be worth it to go ahead and check the seals in your left fork as well.

How many miles you have on your Busa? Has the fork oil ever been changed?

You can expect to spend around $60 on both sets of seals for each fork (dust seal and oil seal). That $60 estimate was also including a bottle of fork oil. If you do it correctly and don't spill any oil, ONE bottle will do both forks, but i bought two bottles just to be on safe side.

Follow the instructions in the write-up, they are GREAT! And DO NOT loosen that Fork Damper Cartridge Bolt at the bottom of the fork unless you are wanting to remove the cartridge. Removing the fork damper cartridge is unecessary for what you are about to do.

Let me know if you need any help, or if i can send you my Traxxion Dynamics fork spring compression tool. I have already taken my forks apart on 2 different occasions now, no expert, but i believe in the motto "See one, do one, teach one"

Good luck!

I just did them with the DIY instructions on the board here. First one sucked a bit as you get used to it. YOU MUST HAVE A HELPER!! though a small child would do (all you need them for is slipping a jam in the damned thing when u have it compressed. BTW I just used a 5/16 piece of allthread instead of having to grind it down. oh and threading the tool is nice but with a skilled hand not neccessary.

yeah i need to do this also not sure will have to look up hey chemist i might have to talk to you about that compression tool

The fork seals are best done as a 2 person job, but is fairy simple and painless.

Traxxion Dynamics makes a spring compression tool that you MUST HAVE in order to take the fork apart.  Or, if you are handy, look in the "Maintenance and Do-it-Yourslelf" section and look at CAT3's write-up about the "Fork Service How-TO", he makes his own compression tool in there, and is a great thread to go by!

Not sure if you plan on doing both forks or not, but if you've already blown one seal, chances are the next one is not too far away.  May be worth it to go ahead and check the seals in your left fork as well.

How many miles you have on your Busa?  Has the fork oil ever been changed?

You can expect to spend around $60 on both sets of seals for each fork (dust seal and oil seal).  That $60 estimate was also including a bottle of fork oil.  If you do it correctly and don't spill any oil, ONE bottle will do both forks, but i bought two bottles just to be on safe side.

Follow the instructions in the write-up, they are GREAT!  And DO NOT loosen that Fork Damper Cartridge Bolt at the bottom of the fork unless you are wanting to remove the cartridge. Removing the fork damper cartridge is unecessary for what you are about to do.

Let me know if you need any help, or if i can send you my Traxxion Dynamics fork spring compression tool.  I have already taken my forks apart on 2 different occasions now, no expert, but i believe in the motto "See one, do one, teach one"

Good luck!
+ million!

what he said. I recommend also DIY. It's cheaper and you'll learn something very valuable in the process. Get the traxxion tools=so valuable that if you blow a seal, NO BIG DEAL!

once you get really good at replacing them, they should be AS QUICK as an oil change/oil filter change.

WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, GET THE PROPER BUSA FORK SPRING RATE FOR YOUR WEIGHT and install them. You're gonna need to remove the spring anyways.

Hey mrninja, just let me know if you need to borrow it man, i can send it out to ya (or anyone else that might want to use it for that matter!)

+1 with what gtrpimp said. Once you've done em a few times, they are QUICK! I can pull mine apart in no time now and change the oil super fast.

If you upgrade the front springs to a 1K or 1.1K, you're going to want to upgrade the rear.
I just had mine done and it's like mush in the back now.
Use 60W gear oil in the steering damper. I used 80W and it was a little too stiff. Gives me too much
high speed cornering resistance.

Seals can be done right in place. Anything else, the forks need to be removed.

Back