Are my fork seals bad

Bigdawg76

Registered
I noticed some oil on the garage floor when I was getting ready to ride. It was right next to the front wheel, and I could see where it came from. I then rubbed the left fork at the bottom and it was really dirty as if oil was on it. Does thats automatically mean my fork seals is busted or could there be something else going on. Thanks for any help
Posted via Mobile Device

If there was a puddle, probly need seals. I'd clean everything really well today and see if there is oil on it tomorrow to be sure. I cant think of anything else that would have caused oil up there tho.

Droid via Tapatalk

If there was a puddle, probly need seals. I'd clean everything really well today and see if there is oil on it tomorrow to be sure. I cant think of anything else that would have caused oil up there tho.

Droid via Tapatalk

+1, fork seal(s). Even if it's only one side, replace them both.

Check the brake fluid to see if it the brake caliper. see oil running down the fork put a little pressure on the front forks to see.

How many miles on your bike? Do you wheelie often?

Still have stock brake lines?
Posted via Mobile Device

Find out for sure where you have leak before you start tearing things down. If they are leaking the fork tubes will have oil on them, could be brake fluid.

If you have such a new bike that has never been stunted, then you probably have a nick or something in the fork tube. I posted up a thread about replacing fork seals to find out that I didn't do a good job inspecting the fork tubes. I had to have one side replaced at the track my next time out after replacing them myself. Make sure you inspect the fork tubes for nicks as they can cause leaks even after new seals.

Good luck,
2BB

Easy way to check is to wipe your finger up the lower fork tube, if the finger tip is wet, she's a leaker!

checked it again, and im pretty sure its the seals. Calling dealer in the morning
Posted via Mobile Device

I have an 08 also, and my left tube just started leaking here recently. My bike has 3200 miles on it and I've never pulled it up in actual wheelie. The front tire has been up a inch or two under acceleration but that's it. I took it in yesterday to a shop, and they told me it would be best to bring them both in so they can match the fluid weight correctly. Does that sound correct? I figured they could use stock weight fluid and it wouldn't be a problem.

Back