Fork Seals, is this normal?

Blanca, its not hard to do seals, go to a equestrian supply house and get a calibrated syringe with adjustable measured needle it does the same thing as the fancy expensive suspension measurement devices. I will be changing out my springs soon and will be doing seals etc at same time.

Blanca, its not hard to do seals, go to a equestrian supply house and get a calibrated syringe with adjustable measured needle it does the same thing as the fancy expensive suspension measurement devices. I will be changing out my springs soon and will be doing seals etc at same time.

Could you explain how the syringe and a needle works?

Guys, thanks for the replies. I was afraid to hear the answers and I was right. lol.. Oh well. I would like to improve the front end suspension this winter so it will be new springs,seals and oil when she is all apart.

Those syringes work good when changing brake lines.
I use them to push fluid through the bleeder valve up to the mc.
Makes bleeding them after much faster.

The fork oil is supposed to be filled to a certain heigth in the tube, so you can use the syringe to suck any excess out I suppose. But the amount of oil removed doesn't need to be measured.

Those have a lot of life left in them, and are just beginning to seep. Use the Sealmate tool that kml mentioned, and you should be good for quite some time.

Exactly except the probe is adjustable and you can set to any depth you want. I just looked online an these kits have dropped in price and increased in availability since last I was on the market, you can buy a purpose built one cheap now.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/995/4844/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Fork-Oil-Level-Tool.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA995&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=4844&kw={keyword}&gclid=CJyR7ZuB_bMCFQixnQod0UQAZg
Those syringes work good when changing brake lines.
I use them to push fluid through the bleeder valve up to the mc.
Makes bleeding them after much faster.

The fork oil is supposed to be filled to a certain heigth in the tube, so you can use the syringe to suck any excess out I suppose. But the amount of oil removed doesn't need to be measured.

Agree, I have seen them at 30k miles look like that and still not leaking... wipe them clean with a good degreaser... when you see fluid leaking down them or residual oil staying on them then do seals..

You don't change a dry baby cause you see a fart stain in his diaper do you? :rofl:
**BEST EXAMPLE EVER !!!** :thumbsup:

Get the Seal Mate tool made by motion pro you can buy the Seal Mate at Cycle Gear in South Florida. My right seal was actually leaking all over and down my forks and onto my disc. I used the Seal Mate after watching how to videos on YouTube and it's been 4 months and fork tubes are dry. I can't believe it worked but it did. Hope this works for your bike.

Back