For those who want the Hayabusa as their 1st bike

Registered
How about this be the thread where people, who have had the Suzuki Hayabusa as their first bike ONLY, post in? THIS WAY, people who are interested (because, like we've mentioned, the only person who can stop you...is YOU) can get a first hand look at the experiences (AND mistakes) that those of us, whose first bike was the Busa, have gone through and dealt with. Perhaps this could be the best way you can learn from our experiences, and also prep for your own.

I suppose I'll start. I'm 19 years of age, currently living in Southern Florida. All my life, I've been surrounded by family & friends with nice exotic/top-end autos...so naturally, this "taste" rubbed off on me. I can't even begin to tell you about the kind of cars I've had the priviledge of sitting in, let alone drive.

...does this matter? NO! Not one bit!!!

Obviously, when you read about these types of machines, you get intrigued to some extent. But realistically speaking, most of us can't afford them, so we go for the next best thing. Sport Bike racing always intrigued me as a kid...but up til I turned 18, I had NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER. This was certainly a problem, since getting a bike was of the utmost priority at the time.

I was window-shopping...very half-ass, mind you...and low & behold, a 2002 Hayabusa was my discovery. It was a while before I realized how powerful this machine truely was. Though my family and friends were strictly against it, I heeded their advice to get schooling via motorcycling beginners courses. Be it from friends teaching me on their SVs, 600s...all the way to taking the MSF courses, I learned as MUCH as I possibly could before the thought of dishing out money from my savings to lay down for a motorcycle crossed my mind.

The time came when I felt I was ready to purchase the bike (mind you, this didn't mean I was ready "experience"-wise). I found a great deal for a silver/silver 03 Busa in Georgia, dealt with the salesman at the shop, and had it shipped to me the following weekend.

The bike was very professionally delivered, via a climate-controlled 18-wheeler, all the way from GA, just for me. I had a grin on my face that could knock paint off walls! The gentlemen rolled the bike out, I did my signing thing, and that was that. In my driveway, I had the most powerful stock street motorcycle in the world.

First thing I did, of course, was touch it...just move my hand over every curve, paying attention to every immaculate detail. Suzuki really outdid themselves...that was all I could think. The first time I started the bike up, was heaven...when compared to the other bikes I practiced on, this bike just started up amazing. I had the bike in gear as soon as I straightened the bike on my empty street (emphasis on EMPTY)..and I VERY lightly tugged the throttle (emphasis on VERY lightly)...away I went. My neighborhood street goes around in a fairly large circle for about a half mile, so thats all I did for the first hour...just cruised, to get a feel for the bike.

I kept practicing with the bike in certain straightaways that I believed would help me learn. The acceleration on the Hayabusa is beyond compare. One thing you know, you're at a dead stop...next thing you know, you're going 60 in a matter of mere seconds!!! This is why I put so much emphasis when it comes to that darn throttle...it could mean your life. The ride was very comfortable...though the speed on this bike is a by-product that would make a Navy SEAL cry and crap his pants. Funny thing is, you go so fast so quick, it almost seems relentless. As for letting people ride with me...its a STRICT NO-NO. This bike is too powerful, and it is very heavy. I REFUSE to let anybody ride with me, I just will not do it. Those of you may think otherwise, but thats where I stand on that matter.

Since I first got the bike, I can honestly say I've never had a single solitary problem. I never dropped it (though getting used to its immense weight takes a little getting used to), I never flew myself back by foolishly gunning down the throttle, I've never run into any cars, houses, people, etc.

Bottom line fellas, this bike demands respect...every machine does. The minute you don't respect it, it teaches you how, the hard way. All those classes, teachings, etc took place over a period of just one month. This made me comfortable enough to start this demon up in the first place. YOU NEED THAT EXPERIENCE. In my honest opinion, this was a wonderful bike for me to learn on, because I have a good, steady head on my shoulders. I'm not into all that racing bullshit, and I'm not into showing off. I'm not an idiot when it comes to speed...you just need to be smart. The thing is, that since this was my first real bike to learn on, I've been able to take on every other bike thereafter. Ever since, my affinity for bikes has gone up ten-fold, and I just can't get enough of this world.

Those of you who also got a Hayabusa as your first bike...help me out. Tell us about your experiences so others can learn. This is what these forums are all about, interacting.

For those of you who are reading this because you're interested in getting the Suzuki Hayabusa as your first bike, PLEASE do you homework. Go out there and get that experience that YOU NEED. Don't ever think you're too good for it. Practice makes perfect. Don't be stupid. Like I said, this bike demands a great amount of respect...and the moment you show otherwise, it will teach you how to respect it the hard way. Hope this helps. Be safe, God bless.

<!--EDIT|360
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077613391 -->

Hello and welcome to the board,
360, it is obvious to anyone who reads your post, that you are a very bright and mature 19 y/o. I would agree with everyone who said that this is a terrible first bike. There are always exceptions, it sounds like you did your homework.
Not every person will take the time to acclimate to such a powerful machine. Please continue to educate yourself and respect the capabilities of your bike.
Congratulations on your Hayabusa and please continue to take great care.

Welcome 360, and well said. It sounds to me like you did things exactly right. You knew you were wanting this big burly bike so you took it upon yourself to get some training and education. Then you took things slow...well done.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and there are a few members who have had the Busa as there first bike and have managed to live to tell the tale. It's not impossible.

My biggest reason for telling folks to start on something smaller/cheaper is usually based more on finances and fun. What I mean is that if I had started on the Busa, I personally wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much as I do, nor would I be able to have as much fun, and fun is really what being on a bike is all about, and if your not having any, then there is no point. So even in cases like yours where your off and running without a problem, I cannot help but think that you would be having a better time on two wheels if you had something that was a little less physically imposing, that you could get on and really explore it's limits better. But my hat is off to you, sounds like you have your head squarly on them shoulders and will do just fine. No way around it, the Busa is prolly one of the best all arounders out there after the VFR, and is a sweet bike.

Congratulations and again, welcome to the board.

Rev

Welcome 360, and well said.  It sounds to me like you did things exactly right.  You knew you were wanting this big burly bike so you took it upon yourself to get some training and education.  Then you took things slow...well done.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and there are a few members who have had the Busa as there first bike and have managed to live to tell the tale.  It's not impossible.  

My biggest reason for telling folks to start on something smaller/cheaper is usually based more on finances and fun.  What I mean is that if I had started on the Busa, I personally wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much as I do, nor would I be able to have as much fun, and fun is really what being on a bike is all about, and if your not having any, then there is no point.  So even in cases like yours where your off and running without a problem, I cannot help but think that you would be having a better time on two wheels if you had something that was a little less physically imposing, that you could get on and really explore it's limits better.  But my hat is off to you, sounds like you have your head squarly on them shoulders and will do just fine.  No way around it, the Busa is prolly one of the best all arounders out there after the VFR, and is a sweet bike.

Congratulations and again, welcome to the board.

Rev
Finally, huh Rev? Someone that can type posts as long as yours!
laugh.gif

No offense intended 360, just a little inside joke there.
wink.gif
Ya see? Rev here usually has to delete characters from his posts before the board's 76,800 character limit will allow him to post 'em. Hehehehehehehe...
laugh.gif

Welcome to the board...
beerchug.gif

laugh.gif

I echo your sentinments, 360. My first sportbike was the Busa...and I'm still alive to tell about it. Although I am worried, because statistically, I'm still in the group that makes up the most motorcycle fatalities: first time riders with less than 7 months of riding experience. Scary thought, but I figure if I'm gonna go, it doesn't matter what I'm driving or where I'm at...I'm gonna go.

I also agree with Rev, too. My first bike was a cruiser, and when I got my Busa, it was a whole new world. I can see where he's coming from in terms of really appreciating your bike and your riding abilities...both of which serve as a checks-and-balance system for eachother, as long as responsibilty is the major influence on both, which you seem to have a lot of. Good job, 360.

360. Well written post, that I hope generates some good replies and thoughts. I've been curious about how many people have gotten the Busa as their first bike. Maybe they'll post their stories here.

Which I'd like to take a moment to encourage people to do. Good stories or scary ones. I for one would like to know them. And as 360 wrote, it would provide some good perspective for other new riders. This could be a great way to help potential riders be better informed.

not necessarily my first bike ever but my first street bike.....

I had ridden for about 15 yrs of dirt bikes before getting mine.
smile.gif

Hey 360, Thanx for the above story, kinda reminded me of the wonderful chill I got when I first saw a busa on the web. I also liked the part about the 1st start up... an excited chill ran up my back, deep heavy rumble like no other sportbike!
Mine was delivered to me in a crate, just turning the key while it was still in the box and watching the guages come to life... WOW! very cool:cool:

Oh and I've been riding for over 30 years and the Busie still teaches me respect everytime I jump on it. Hang in & on lil brother.
wink.gif

WELCOME 360!

Reminds me of when I bought my NEW 98 CBR900RR when I was 17!

Stay smart and you'll live a long time on a bike!

How long have you had the BUSA and have you got any mods planned yet?

Later,

Josh
blues.gif

360, all I can say is that I am truely impressed. By your maturity, honesty and ability to contain/control yourself. I wish I had that control when I was 19, and that I could have afforded the equilivant of the Busa back then - the ZX10. Good luck and keep on ridin'.

I think this is a good idea because it helps give some real world advice to those thinking about a Busa as a first bike...

Some here know where I started...I bought a Harley without ever even sitting on a moped, dropped it twice, got hurt kind of bad once (more to my ego than anything else), then parked it and took the MSF course. I had a new son and months of waiting in between purchasing my Harley and actually feeling like I could go ride it and getting licensed...I never had problems with my Harley, but time constraints only got me about 2200 miles on it before I spotted the Busa...

I researched the Hayabusa for about 8 months or so, hyping myself up that I could handle it and that I wouldn't die if I bought one (yeah, like you just simply explode the second you even sit on it or something!)...but, being a gal, I was truly intimidated by all that I'd seen and heard from men about riding a Busa...I needed some backing of other women to really feel like I could ride it and not die...I found an Australian Hayabusa site, found a few gals that offered up their stories, and then found hayabusa.org, talked a lot to LoBusa about her experience on it, and decided to take the plunge...

All told, I've racked up more miles in just a few months on my Hayabusa than I did in over 2 years of owning my Harley...they are two very different creatures...no regrets for me on the Busa, and I never looked back once I decided all I had to do was be smart, be safe and respect it...

By the way...I did drop my Busa (3 times to be exact) because it was a bit too tall for me; it's been lowered 2 inches in the front and rear, and cost me about $850 to replace what I'd messed up, so yeah, keep that in mind if you decide to make it a first bike...a small drop can cost plenty!
smile.gif

Very refreshing post, 360. Thanks for sharing, and for being straightforward.

My main concern with powerful first bike is not a hot head of the rider though. It's those reflexes that did not settle yet.

It's that accidental wrong movement of the right wrist, be it from turning handlebars, sneezing in the helmet, or being spooked by something - which might send the rider to the sky, or to the ground. All the good intentions are no substitute for correct reflexes. In a case like that, our natural reflexes take over, and most of them are dead wrong for controlling a motorcycle.

Question for ya. If you had to do it all over again knowing what you know now, would you get a 'Busa?

Well put 360, the Busa was my first street bike also..I was 28 when I purchased the bike, I did alot of research, talked to alot of Busa riders, took a MSF course and decided to buy what I wanted..Recently had to sale due to job loss but hopefully by the end of this year I will once again be rollin with tha Busa...I have no regrets and would tell any first time rider that any bike can be dangerous, just be extremely careful and always ride within your limits....

Hey everybody! Thank you for such positive responses, you all have truely made my day! Keep those stories comin!

---
Got-Busa? - How long have you had the BUSA and have you got any mods planned yet?[/QUOTE]
I've had my Hayabusa since July of last year (03)...got my one year anniversary with my hunny coming up soon! hehehe I'll show you guys some pics as soon as I get a dig. cam

As far as mods go, I'm not too eager about any of that right now...performance-wise, this bike is MORE than enough for me. As far as looks go, my baby is the sexiest machine out there! ...know what I mean? (ie - those kodak moment faces on 600 owners!) And no matter where I go, I still get those crazy faces when I'm cruising through traffic. Besides, my studies require my attention more than anything at the moment...so I plan to worry about all that jazz later. I got time, you kno?
---
IG. - Question for ya. If you had to do it all over again knowing what you know now, would you get a 'Busa?[/QUOTE]
two words: HELL YES...lifes too short to bs around and wonder "what if". yea, the Busa is dangerous, but with that in mind...it can be argued both ways. stepping out your door can be equally as dangerous...jus deal with the cards you got, and play well...death smiles at us all...all one can do is but smile back

PACIFICBUSA summed my thoughts up exactly:

"...but I figure if I'm gonna go, it doesn't matter what I'm driving or where I'm at...I'm gonna go..."

---

You guys are awesome, thanks again. Be easy, stay safe...God bless.

Man, what a great thread...great stories and conversation...my 2001 blue/silver beauty was my first bike (aside from the number of dirt bikes I had), but it is really hard for me to make the comparison...anyhow, I was much the same as 360, RESPECT it, lOVE it, RIDE it...IG was correct when stating reflexes are key...oh I mean the correct reflexes...I can't add any more to the quality of this thread...other than some personal statistics..

28 yrs old, 2001 blue/silver BUSA, never dropped, never any close calls (Knocking on wood) and will ride nothing else:D I love the almost immediate respect that you get from other riders, those that understand what I have between my legs (the busa of course
smile.gif
)

Can any moderator make this thread a sticky, perchance? I think this would help others greatly...I seem to be getting alot of inquiries myself regarding this topic just around where I live! Thanks guys!
cool.gif

Speaking of maturity, I fill that bill, but in a different way from what you fellow Busa riders are speaking of, although I qualify for that too, somewhat.  My 03 Busa is my first and only sportbike and the only one I've ever  ridden.  At 67 years young, I may be the oldest Busa rider in the country.  It competes for riding time with an 02 V Star 650 Classic.  I bought the Busa after riding the V Star seven months.

The Busa has 3,300 carefully ridden miles, but not slow miles.  I exceed 100 mph routinely.  Can't help it.  But I don't stunt, don't plan to, and am very conservative in the twisties.

The greatest riding danger I've encountered is the fascination cagers seem to have with the bike and their never ending attempts to race me, or mess with me, when I ride on parkways or expressways.  Takes self control to stay cool.  Some cagers reach 80 mph routinely on the parkways here on Long Island and you're safer being in front of them.  Yea, I know.  You could fall behind them.  But then there will be one to come up and replace the one that just left.  And then there are the cagers who don't see you at all, and violate your right of way on any road.

Ride safely.  Watch yourself.  But watch the other guy too.

Stockerjo

I came up the bike ladder in a fairly safe manner starting out wth a 81 gs1000 g shaft drive, somwhere around 70 horse I believe, then 1985 gs1150es , kind of a big step up into sport bikes,then a 1991 cbr1000, very nice performance all around but a little on the pokey side compared to 1150, then a 2000 zx11 bad ass bike I thought till I rode my buds 2002 busa, Damn !!! Well zx11 wrecked and I got my 04 red s.e. . Moral of story, Learn from your bike RESPECT, Mine has taught me, and I know is more capable than any other bike I have Ridden... Its great to own the BEST !!

Back