Rollcall: people w/ Busa as a first bike

Okay, well I don't know if I qualify but here goes. (blurb format)

Had a dirt bike as a kid (13 "“ 15)

I'm 37

First bike Hayabusa, currently 10k plus, mods are cleaning me out $$$$.

Also, I've been a Soldier for 17 years; why do I say that?

Because, I have grown accustomed to a couple of things while being a soldier.

One, people constantly changing their opinions about what you do i.e. Americas pre-nine eleven view of soldiers = "less thans"￾, underprivileged, un-educated, ex-cons. And the post nine-eleven view of soldiers = Heroes

Two, taking more risk than most people think is safe.

With that, MATURITY is key, to mitigating any risk. Am I mature, maybe not
tounge.gif
, but I do know how to mitigate risk.

William

"The alternative to honoring our Soldiers is to destroy them for doing exactly what we told them to do. We employ them, equip them, enable them, and empower them to kill, and then when they do, we act ashamed of them."

The post has been made that a rookie mountaineer wouldnt/couldnt start with Mt Everest.  Who here would do a marathon as a first event?  The reason why I started this thread is to see the thoughts and opinions of those who started with the Busa.  Yes, it takes maturity to control the accelerator.  Maturity will not help when a newbie needs to call upon training and experience in pushing the handle bars.
Just to expand on this point a little bit, if you are buying a new bike you are new to the sport. If you are starting any other new sport/hobby it is usually a good idea to get used, cheap, but functional equipment until you are sure you want to spend the time and money to get something that you really enjoy.

For example, maybe you want to learn to play guitar. You could go out and spend thousands on a very nice guitar and amp, only to find that it is a lot more difficult and frustrating then you were anticipating. The more mature move would be to get something used/cheap, replace the strings and take some lessons. After some time, If you still want to spend that money, you are in a much better position. You can also sell your used equipment for roughly the same amount that you bought it for most of the time.

I think this is particularly important for motorcycles, because not only is your money/time at risk but so is your health.

Back