Should I buy a Hayabusa?

msmathis01

Registered
NEW MEMBER AND MY FIRST POST. Little background about myself. I'm 34 years old. I've always loved motorcycles but never really had the courage to ride one. I never rode anything on two wheels until about month ago. I've been riding my brothers 250cc scooter and I absolutely love it. The feel of the open road is addictive. I've put 500 miles on it in 20 days.
Just this week my brother and I went to a motorcycle dealership. I sit on various makes and models of motorcycles. I'm 6'4" around 200lbs and nothing really seem to "fit" me. The last bike I sit on was the Hayabusa. I fell in love with it. It felt like it was made for me. The way it fit me, the way it looked, the way it seem to balance, etc. I'm in love. I know that this is a very POWERFUL bike but I'm very level headed and I'm not a speed demon. I know this bike demands much respect. I plan on riding the scooter for another 6 months to year to get more riding experience before actually buying a motorcycle.
Should I buy this awesome machine or get something a little smaller to get more experience. Of course I would ride in Mode C for as long as it took to learn the bike. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Go here and you can answer your own question. Everybody's got an opinion on this topic, the only one that matters is yours. If you buy one and die on it obviously you made the wrong choice......

NEW MEMBER AND MY FIRST POST. Little background about myself. I'm 34 years old. I've always loved motorcycles but never really had the courage to ride one. I never rode anything on two wheels until about month ago. I've been riding my brothers 250cc scooter and I absolutely love it. The feel of the open road is addictive. I've put 500 miles on it in 20 days.
Just this week my brother and I went to a motorcycle dealership. I sit on various makes and models of motorcycles. I'm 6'4" around 200lbs and nothing really seem to "fit" me. The last bike I sit on was the Hayabusa. I fell in love with it. It felt like it was made for me. The way it fit me, the way it looked, the way it seem to balance, etc. I'm in love. I know that this is a very POWERFUL bike but I'm very level headed and I'm not a speed demon. I know this bike demands much respect. I plan on riding the scooter for another 6 months to year to get more riding experience before actually buying a motorcycle.
Should I buy this awesome machine or get something a little smaller to get more experience. Of course I would ride in Mode C for as long as it took to learn the bike. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I would recomend you riding a 600cc 750cc Before hoping on a Busa...

ride a smaller cc bike and learn the shifting and still have some power...Work your way up the CC Chain before going bonzi on a Busa.... :bowdown:

Old Rule of thumb:rulez: :thumbsup: start off small and work your way up... Just for Safty reasons.... Unless you dont have much time left or just have a lot of money, then i would just go for it... Its your choice...LOL did i help

The busa is a lot of bike for a first timer. Now you may get it and never have any problems but for the average joe the busa can send you to the hopital or worst an early grave. I've been riding for 36 years and if you were my friend I would suggest you start smaller If you do decide to get it good luck and be careful...

take the MSF Basic Rider Course.

Is the busa a good first bike? You will get all kinds of opinions but it really depends on you. My girls firs bike was a ducati 996 and she did great. After a year she stepped up to a busa and has done just fine. She rides within her ability and has taken her time to get to know her bike and it's capabilities.

At this point you don't know what you are doing if you understand that and ride accordingly you will be fine on any bike. If you don't get it you could kill yourself on a Ninja 250.
Posted via Mobile Device

As long as you don't try to rip the throttle back you should be alright. The hardest thing for me to adjust to was the weight. That didn't take to long to figure out. But I started on a GSX-R 600 and am glad I did. Way more forgiving.

One of the main concerns you will have is about the "forgiving" abilities of the bike. If you are in a turn, and something causes your right arm to jolt- twisting the throttle just a bit- a 600 may jump forward and scare you, but will be much more forgiving than a 1300, which may just immediately low side you (crash).

If you get the busa be very carefull. The scooter is, Well, a scooter. I rode my wife's 600 for several months before getting the busa. It gives you an idea of the power you are about to get but at a slower rate. I think you'll be fine with the busa but respect it and take your time. I don't know man, Maybe you should start a little smaller. Riding a bike is easy but handling it correctly takes time and practice. Don't want to see you get hurt. Good luck on your choice.:welcome:

If you can keep from going Banzai an curve cutting I'd say ok, If you think the scooter was addicting you may want to start on a different bike SV maybe for a while. The Busa and the 1K's class just take over your mind as you ride an it's possible to loose your sense of speed an forward momentum. :laugh:

I agree with a motorcycle article I read recently... It basically said that there are way less deaths on big bikes than small ones because the big ones demand respect or something..

All I know is I would ream the crap out of my gs500e and gsxr750 but the busa I respected from day one and learned the power curve slowly.

Maybe its just me but I think you would have to be a major asshat to hurt yourself on the busa by "gripping and ripping" ...mainly because unlike the 600 you dont need to to Grip or Rip on the busa to go fast. You can put it in 6th and put on the highway and still pass anything on four wheels without fail.

Just did a 400 mile trip today and had more fun in 6th gear with minimal throttle input than I ever had in first or second. Its like a damn time warp when you click it down to fourth! I think my watch is slower now...

Just MHO.

oh and..Try posting this question in all the other forums too in case some of the veterans missed it.:thumbsup:

Busa was my first bike. Like others have said, keep a cool head and you should be fine. The biggest this is the weight of the bike. I strongly suggest getting a set of sliders for it. The Hayabusa makes a great all-around-bike...fast, quick, handles pretty well, gets great mileage, and can be used for full-day rides (my longest was 525mi in a day).

:welcome: I'll tell it straight, Too much power for the beginner, this WILL put you in and early grave if you do not Know the basic power of this BEAST and it is a BEAST. Get on a smaller bike become a good rider on it then upgrade, we all started somewhere usually on a trail bike then onto our first road bike it's like baby steps take one at a time you may think to your self "yeh" I can handle that no problem the next minute you on your back in hospital being spoon fed this is a serious decision don't let it be your last. Good luck and safe riding.:thumbsup:

I started with a 750, and even in mode C the Busa has a lot more of everything. On the Busa, I can go threw the gears and be on the highway at 85 and I don't think the throttle goes past 1/8th of a turn. There is a giant difference from scooter to Busa. Take a step in between.

Take the MSF. Get a used mid CC bike for the summer and learn to ride a motorcycle. It is a big difference from a scooter. I'm 200lbs and the 750 is not small, the scooter is.

Not to down play scooters, they are fun. But riding one is not comparible to a 600 or 1000 or 1300. And you're not going 100+ mph in seconds (ok, ever) on that scooter.

You will still have to respect the Busa when you get it next spring. :welcome:

I would say No but hey if you think going from a scooter to the fastest bike on the planet , do it .

Back