What should I buy?

wildfire

Registered
I have not rode a bike before and was talking to a buddy who said that a Hayabusa was an awsome bike and I should buy one. I am 6'4, 220 pounds, what do you all think a good bike for me would be, and what would be the best way to start learning on one. Thanks to all who reply.

I agree...   <table style=filter:glow(color=green)>U S E D</table> !!!

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075847664 -->

If you have not ridden a motorcycle before then without a doubt, get a dirtbike first!  Learning to ride in the dirt has many advantages:

Dirtbikes are ment to be dropped.  EVERY new rider is going to drop their bike.  Moving it around the garage or going slow around a turn, it will happen.

Dirtbikes are easy to fix.  A clutch or brake lever is $5

Dirtbikes look OK if the plastic is scratched.

If you learn on the dirt, there will not be any 3000 lb cages right behind you and comming at you at a relative velocity of 150 mph!  (you are going 75 and the SUV is doing 75 in the other direction)

The controls on a dirtbike are identical to a street bike.

The reflexes you build while riding dirt will help imensly on the street.  The first time your rear breaks loose, you will not panic.

A dirtbike will teach you respect for the machines.

Want power?  A large 2 stroke dirtbike (CR500 is my personal choice) has almost the same power to weight ratio as the Hayabusa

I have taught many children to ride and it is definately best to learn in the dirt!

Good luck!

First bike ---the one at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class

Then look around for a good used bike. After you've learned to ride and gained some experience then you can move up to a stronger bike. Alot of today's bikes aren't very forgiving if you make a mistake.

High horsepower + no skills = a mishap

just my two cents worth
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|dezzy7
Reason for Edit: "motorcycle has c's and not s's lolololol"|1075903453 -->

If you have not ridden a motorcycle before then without a doubt, get a dirtbike first!  Learning to ride in the dirt has many advantages:

Dirtbikes are ment to be dropped.  EVERY new rider is going to drop their bike.  Moving it around the garage or going slow around a turn, it will happen.

Dirtbikes are easy to fix.  A clutch or brake lever is $5

Dirtbikes look OK if the plastic is scratched.

If you learn on the dirt, there will not be any 3000 lb cages right behind you and comming at you at a relative velocity of 150 mph!  (you are going 75 and the SUV is doing 75 in the other direction)

The controls on a dirtbike are identical to a street bike.

The reflexes you build while riding dirt will help imensly on the street.  The first time your rear breaks loose, you will not panic.

A dirtbike will teach you respect for the machines.

Want power?  A large 2 stroke dirtbike (CR500 is my personal choice) has almost the same power to weight ratio as the Hayabusa

I have taught many children to ride and it is definately best to learn in the dirt!

Good luck!
you said it all....only way to do it...plus riding on dirt you can learn to wheelie and everything without getting hurt, well for the most part anyway.

you can get a decent older dirtbike for less than $1k and just beat on it till you know how to ride.

also a cr500 will SCARE the poop outta ya if you're a new rider...damn damn damn fast for a dirt bike.

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075857425 -->

a friend of mine lost his life last year, 3 weeks after purchasing his 1st bike, a Hayabusa
sad.gif

it was his 1st accident on a bike and last.
he was driving way 2 fast
no experience, no responsibility, no respect for the bike or his life
buying a Busa would be like Wiley Coyote strapping an acme rocket to his back
rock.gif

NOOOO!!!! get a boss hoss with a 355hp V8,
no, get a Y2K.!
no, get a 400hp Turbo Hayabusa!!! yea, thats the one!

what kind of bike was that i saw jay leno on? it had some kind of turbine engine on it... buy that one... Y2K?
tounge.gif

Is your buddy in your will or something?  Because it sounds like he wants you dead.

After you're done reading those:

Step 1:
http://www.msf-usa.org/
-or if the MSF is full-

Step 2:

<!--EDIT|Dangerously
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075873291 -->

I just wanted to say thanx to all who have replied. No my buddy is not in my will, he has a hayabusa before and said it was a great bike. He has since said that maybe I should learn on a POS until I learn how to ride. I think I would probebly crash and burn if I learned on something with more balls then I have. I'm 21 and think I would try to push it to the extreme. Discussing this with my family I have also found out that they are against it because when my mother was in a marriage before her husband died in a bike crash so she is totally against it. I think the dirt bike would be a good start. Once again thanks to all who have replied.

I can't add much to all this, jsut another voice saying get a small starter bike first becuase without the road-learned experience of blanance and control you WILL be dropping your bike on it's side a few times until you learn that experience. Yes there are those who got a busa as first bike and never dropped it, but statisitically, odds are stacked against you. Never play against the odds when motorcycling.

I think the best reasons for learning in the dirt are:

1. No Buicks trying to flatten you.
2. No Rush hour.
3. Dirt is softer than concrete and see #1.
4. The bikes are cheaper, and they can take a lot of falling over.
5. Dirt bikes are crazy fun and there usually isn't anyone telling you how, where, and at what speed to ride.

Dirt is a great place to learn and a kick in the butt. Just remember that it's still no substitute for an MSF beginners course when you get ready to hit the road. Also, a street bike has the same basic controls as a dirt bike but the handling and traction are completely different animals so you will still have a lot to learn when transitioning to the street.

Okay heres another stupid question, Should I look into a new dirt bike or something used also what would be a good dirt bike that could take the stupidity or a new rider but also have the balls to keep up when I am ready for them, like I said I am 6'4" 220 pounds. I know nothing about bikes, or how to fix them. I am good under the hood of a vehicle but they are two totally different things. What would be something I guess more user friendly?

Whatever you decide, if you get the proper training, are a responsible person, abides by the laws of the road... you can ride whatever you want and is most comfortable for you.  Just be smart about it...  We all know our own capabilities.  Also, it's like everyone says, if you want an expensive bike and are willing to pay the price for insurance if you damage it in some way by dropping it or getting in an accident, then it's your choice.  If you can spend the money on a big bike, you can spend the money on proper riding gear too - that includes gloves, helmet, jacket, pants, and boots.

If you think you would be in the very least tempted to be irresponsible on the Busa, then I can only hope you listen to what everyone is saying here... Good luck
smile.gif

FLCN72 is on the right track.Busa for a first bike is a bad idea.Go with the others learn and have fun.Busa's can take you places you dont want to be yet.Best of luck.DONT forget the gear.

Okay heres another stupid question, Should I look into a new dirt bike or something used also what would be a good dirt bike that could take the stupidity or a new rider but also have the balls to keep up when I am ready for them, like I said I am 6'4" 220 pounds. I know nothing about bikes, or how to fix them. I am good under the hood of a vehicle but they are two totally different things. What would be something I guess more user friendly?
Get something that fits you. The newer 4-cycle dirtbikes bikes are nice. But start with something USED. Trust us on that one. I'm about your size and have a good time on a 250, and sometimes a 125.. and those little 50cc bikes are cool to play with. And this summer I just might ignore my girlfriends "thats stupid" comments and get a pocketbike to race.

http://www.pocketbike.com/

http://www.pocketbike.ch/Index/imaphoto/images2/ursesai1.html

Back