Should I buy a Hayabusa?

No. The Busa is not a beginners bike. It has the power to make the mistakes you are going to make (all newbies have a learning curve and make mistakes) into BIG mistakes that might cause you to end up in the ER or the morgue. I have been riding bikes for over 30 years and I have ridden most of the fastest when they were introduced. The FJ1100, GS1150, GSXR's...all the sportbikes battling for the throne. This bike surprised me the first time I cracked it open on a straight stretch of road. Things in the distance come up on you so hard and fast that it is experience that tells you what to do next. Buy an SV650 or Bandit or something more usuable and forgiving and learn how to ride a bike safely and well first. In a few years if you still want a Busa then take one for a test ride and see if it is for you.

When you learned to play golf, did you start with wood or short iron? I always wanted to pratice with #1 club with 9 degree. That's why I never became a good golfer. However, for bikes, I am such a chicken shid, I had to start small. That's how I got to ride busa and have fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

Beginnerbikers.org

I don't have a Busa, nor would be riding one if $14,000 fell in my pocket right now. It's too much for a newbie, really. Next season is a different story, for me. :laugh: But starting off on one? :poke: I would pass if I were you.

Respecting it isn't going to amount to a hill of beans when that pothole from hell appears right in front of you. Need to get your muscle memory, inputs, reaction time, lean angles, throttle response, hand-eye coordination and the other fundamentals up before throwing a leg over this beast, IMO.

I say do what ur right hand and ur insurance company can handle. Seriously, as long as you have respect for the bike, go to the MSF Course, buy gear and install frame sliders you should be okay.

This topic has been beat to death, but go ahead and add to this thread. You might get more responses to a new thread but many won't bother to again say the Busa is a heavy, very fast bike and both of those things take some skill to be totally in control of. But if you're careful, you can learn on a Busa and there are many who have.

Ok, I'll give it a go then. This will sound like I'm trolling the forum...maybe I am and shouldn't even ask these questions. I ride Harleys and cruisers, never had a fast bike with the fastest one being a 76 Kawi KZ-900. I collect bikes since I been working overseas in Afghanistan and Iraq the past 10 years. Retired Navy, 60 years old, fat guy at 6'1". Riding a Busa would be like a monkey F'n a football. I currently have 6 bikes in my stable with the oldest purchase listed first. 1996 Gold Wing, 2004 Honda Rune, 2009 Yamaha Raider, 2011 Harley CVO Ultra, 2007 Harley Softail Custom and then a 2015 Road Glide Special. The last one is my favorite to ride during the 3 weeks a year I'm home in the US. The other 3 weeks are usually in Thailand and thinking about a Busa for there...or maybe just in the States. Bikes sitting in my shop for years on end is the biggest concern which it like death to a machine. Other than just selling them off, I have no choice.

So even thinking about adding a new leftover Busa to the stash is pretty stupid. But from what I've been reading so far tells me the beast can be tame when needed and then rip it up with a twist. I know I'll never use half of it's potential but I like the look of the bike and the reliability plus I'm sure with the big bore this beast has to sound tough as nails. A smart man would look at buying something smaller to get up to riding a sport bike...guess I ain't that smart. That's proven by even writing in your forum in the first place. I don't want a screaming super hi rpm bike and the rpm of this bike when combined with the bore size would give me the racing engine sound I'm after. Not sure if that makes sense, I know the Busa is a much higher RPM bike than any of the bikes I own, especially my tractors. Different ends of the spectrum between the Harley and the Busa and I'm not here to start a flame war. It is what it is and I just love bikes...but they need to be something special, at least in my head. I don't imagine there are many here who enjoy the HD and Busa but I might get surprised. With my normal riding style and size maybe the BMW K1600GT or GTL would suffice. I tried the GTL and while fast, I just didn't feel the bike.

With the Busa and many other bikes, you just dial in what you need and figure out what trips your trigger. Of course grabbing a hand full on a Harley and then doing the same thing with the Busa would probably put me in an urn. I guess my biggest question is how would I bend over enough to be comfortable on it. Rest my gut on the tank I guess. Maybe it's stupid to even consider a bike like this and in reality the thing to do instead of wasting your time is wait until I'm in the US next year and try one on for size. This is a spur of the moment thing and I can't watch You Tube at work so I'll fire up the site when I get off work tonight. But the sound of a big bore 4 banger like this has to be the sound I'm after along with the performance. I mean there a reason why you all bough one and why it has such a huge appreciation in the bike world. Not sure if I could get one for Thailand or not but the tax on Harleys and the R1200Rt BMW is huge. It would cost like $60,000 to buy a Road Glide in Thailand, I doubt the Busa would get much of a tax break there as well. Thinking used but I'd need to find one that hasn't been beat on. Ok gents, I'll stop wasting your time but curiosity has me wondering about this machine. Go big or go home. To get close to the same hp out of a Harley would be about the same cost as buying a newer Busa. With a 124ci engine running a Trask turbo system I'd get to the 200hp range but it would cost me around $12,000 to get there. The S&S flywheels would make the bottom end race ready to take on 300hp but as we all know, it wouldn't handle like a sport bike. I'm not worried about the Busa weight, heck it's probably the lightest bike I would have in my stable. Cheers and thanks for your time.

The busa is a comfortable bike I believe. My friends call it the Cadillac of sport bikes. I don’t think your size would be a issue but what’s big 300 or 600lbs. You’ll read it 100 times but the power is amazing in the busa. You don’t have to be in the rpms to have power. You can take off in third gear. Done it more times than I would like to admit. But don’t get a smaller bike you have experience it would just be a waste.

If you curious if you’ll like it buy a nice clean old machine. Can pick one cheap and resell if you don’t like it. These machines are tuff and made to hit the redline I wouldn’t worry about that when buying one if you can look and see all the maintance is kept up it should be a good machjne.

Go here and you can answer your own question. Everybody's got an opinion on this topic, the only one that matters is yours. If you buy one and die on it obviously you made the wrong choice......
hahaha... my brain works exactly the same as yours,.. nice post

No. The Busa is not a beginners bike. It has the power to make the mistakes you are going to make (all newbies have a learning curve and make mistakes) into BIG mistakes that might cause you to end up in the ER or the morgue. I have been riding bikes for over 30 years and I have ridden most of the fastest when they were introduced. The FJ1100, GS1150, GSXR's...all the sportbikes battling for the throne. This bike surprised me the first time I cracked it open on a straight stretch of road. Things in the distance come up on you so hard and fast that it is experience that tells you what to do next. Buy an SV650 or Bandit or something more usuable and forgiving and learn how to ride a bike safely and well first. In a few years if you still want a Busa then take one for a test ride and see if it is for you.
I know man... I ve been riding for almost 20 years.. and I almost ran right into the back of a minivan the other day... was lookin at boost guage like an idiot... and these bikes reel in the landscape quickly,... helmet smells like sweat.

Rather than taking votes on the matter let me just give my take on the two sides of the coin so you can make your own decision...
A) Yes Dino's GF started at the top and does fine, Yes this is true if you cruse and are "level headed" than you can ride for 40 years with no problems and enjoy every minute of it except when it suddenly rains and ruins the day. (No I just mean getting wet) ;<)
B) No, you should start on smallish bike so you can explore the "edges of adhesion" at 25-30MPH then move up a bit to a bike that has a limit of 45 MPH and so on instead of 120 on a Busa. (And that's not to say a Busa can't slide out on you at 40)
This is the number one reason European riders as a whole (meaning average there compared to average here) have much better control riding when pushing the envelop. They by law have to spend a long time on three or four stages (sub 200 cc etc) before moving up. Starting on a Busa are you really going to corner at 120 and play around to feel when it starts to slide out if you have no idea what it is like just before it breaks loose on you?
Both ways work, I guess what I'm saying is it depends on what you want the end result to be, we all don't want to be Valentino, I for one don't mind being third. Okay second...wait what if i switch to Diablo Super Corsas

If I could get just one bike today, it would be the busa. If I were a newbie to a bike or highest performance bikes like the busa is, I would still get a busa. Why? The busa can be as gentle a 200cc bike, you have to ride it gentle on the throttle. Make sure to use thin gloves so you can FEEL the engine. I've been riding street bikes since I'm 10 YO. I switched to thick lined gloves one cold morning and I almost came off of the busa because I couldn't feel the engine in my hand. Don't believe me, try it. Gave it too much gas as I was so used to the hand to brain coordination and feeling with thinner gloves. If the hump would not have been there, I would have come off the bike and it would have rolled by itself for a while, probably hit some car or person. Use C mode to start. You'll have to get a gen2 busa for modes. Hope this helps.

I was just like you , I’m 31 and always wanted to ride just never did. I sold my car and bought a KLR 650 and got my motorcycle endorsement and this was all of 5 months ago. Fixed my neighbors busa and took it for a test ride, came back home sold my KLR and bought the busa. I honestly think you would be fine. If you understand counter steering and not flooring the piss out of it until your ready and capable to do so,then your fine. The busa for me at least is a very easy bike to ride. It’s fast, smooth and mine being stock is amazingly quiet, quieter than my KLR!

I say buy the busa. Is not like you never rode a motorcycle before. The only thing I regret is listening to others telling me I was going to kill myself if I got a busa. I ended up wasting money on a bike I only kept for a little over a year and then traded it on my 2009 busa and never looked back. I’ll never forget my first ride from the dealership to my house. 2nd generation (2008 and up) have riding modes, but I’ve never touched it and if you decide to ride in C mode, every time you start the bike it resets to A mode and you have to remember to switch it to C.

I was just like you ,
I’m 31 and always wanted to ride just never did .

I sold my car and bought a KLR 650
and got my motorcycle endorsement
and this was all of 5 months ago .

Fixed my neighbors Hayabusa and took it for a test ride,
came back home sold my KLR and bought the Hayabusa .

I honestly think you would be fine .

If you understand counter steering
and not flooring the piss out of it
until your ready and capable to do so,
then your fine .

The Hayabusa for me at least
is a very easy bike to ride .

It’s fast,
smooth
and mine
being stock
is amazingly quiet,
quieter than my KLR !

This post started 2009? Wow I hope whoever it was finally got a busa.
Truth is everyone here is right. I got the busa as my first bike because that’s what I wanted as a kid in the back seat of mom and dads car. Looking out the window, all sports bikes looked the same until i saw a busa with the kenji.
Long story short, yes you can die on it, or even worse - end up a vegetable. But that’s with any bike. It is a question if this bike in particular will give you a higher probability of that. With ANY bike you get, you have to learn it’s capabilities. I’ve had my share of target fixations and bailed on turns thinking the bike can’t lean and can’t make it because thats All you hear about the busa. Truth is this can turn good enough and it’ll be a beginning rider that will be the limiting factor. Only drops I’ve had were with the bike off (like thinking the kick stand was all the way down). But I believe the rider is in control of his or her destiny 100%. I’ll post a video about ‘owning a hayabusa as a first bike’ soon...(meaning in a year maybe lol). Warning, you go fast everyday, you get used to the speed and might want more (turbo, nos)

20151122_123653.jpg

I bought my Busa (model 2003) 2 years ago, after a 25 year break of ridding any motorcycle. Until today I drove approx. 10.000 km (6.000 mls) without any problem.
In the beginning I heard a lot of things like: "do you have a good life insurance for your Family" or "I would die within 1 day sitting on this bike.."
Yes, the bike is veryyyyy powerful and fast. But on the other hand it can be driven very relaxed, because in every situation there is always enough power available.
You brain controls your right hand and if you never forget that, it should work,
For sure I'll ride this bike until I'm too old for it :)

Kind regards from Germany
Jürgen

Back