Who has a busa as their first bike?

The Busa is my very first ever bike and I love it! Everyone thought I was nuts and some still do but here I am, 8000 miles on the Busa in about 3 months owning her and I'm fine - loving every thrill riding moment!
My heart was just set on a Busa for over 2 years and there was not even a close second. I wanted the BUSA!!! When I first got on her I was pretty nervous as one could imagine but gratefully, I caught on fast. I've had a few close calls as far as almost dropping her but I've learned from those and I feel more and more comfortable with it on every ride. It really all comes down to rider ability, maturity, and just being able to swallow some pride and knowing your limitations. If you have any doubts about your ability at all, don't get a Busa for a first ever bike or first sportsbike for that matter. Like I've had friends try to get me to do wheelies and burnouts and such but I know I'm not quite ready for it yet so I don't go there, besides when I think of the money I've put into it including modifications, I make up my mind pretty quick - NO!. I can admit that getting the Busa for my first bike probably wasn't the wisest thing but by God's grace, I've handled it pretty well and everything is OK. The Busa is a great ride in every aspect, it's got the show and the go. I can't compare the bike to anything else because the Busa is all I've ever ridden which makes me think, boy without the Busa, what else is there? Does it get any better than this? It turns heads like nothing else but it also makes your friends jealous too. I have one friend that's so jealous, sometimes it seems as if he'd like nothing more than to see me lay the falcon down!

Well, I will eventually get a Busa...it will be the second brand new bike that I've ever owned in 20 years of riding. Busaman29 said it best...after the Busa, what else is there? Nothing. So I'm glad that I am waiting. I'm glad that I've experienced other bikes. I'm glad that my current ride weighs about as much as the Busa, but doesn't have the handling or power. I always like to imagine how much better I will ride when I get the Busa. I'm grateful for all the smaller machines that didn't kill me when I got stupid. For me, the Hayabusa is the pinnacle of the motorcycling experience, and worth the wait. But the anticipation is killing me!

The Busa is my very first ever bike and I love it! Everyone thought I was nuts and some still do but here I am, 8000 miles on the Busa in about 3 months owning her and I'm fine - loving every thrill riding moment!
My heart was just set on a Busa for over 2 years and there was not even a close second. I wanted the BUSA!!! When I first got on her I was pretty nervous as one could imagine but gratefully, I caught on fast. I've had a few close calls as far as almost dropping her but I've learned from those and I feel more and more comfortable with it on every ride. It really all comes down to rider ability, maturity, and just being able to swallow some pride and knowing your limitations. If you have any doubts about your ability at all, don't get a Busa for a first ever bike or first sportsbike for that matter. Like I've had friends try to get me to do wheelies and burnouts and such but I know I'm not quite ready for it yet so I don't go there, besides when I think of the money I've put into it including modifications, I make up my mind pretty quick - NO!. I can admit that getting the Busa for my first bike probably wasn't the wisest thing but by God's grace, I've handled it pretty well and everything is OK. The Busa is a great ride in every aspect, it's got the show and the go. I can't compare the bike to anything else because the Busa is all I've ever ridden which makes me think, boy without the Busa, what else is there? Does it get any better than this? It turns heads like nothing else but it also makes your friends jealous too. I have one friend that's so jealous, sometimes it seems as if he'd like nothing more than to see me lay the falcon down!
Yeah, well this is what I was talking about pretty much. Everytime this comes up there is usually a barage of DONT DO ITs, and good luck Pals, but a lot of it does come down to knowing your limits and abilities. So if we agree that it does come down to the rider, there are still a couple of reasons that I wouldn't recommend the Busa as a first Bike though.

Those are Newbie Mistakes (silly little things) and the Size+Power equation. Basically it's the little mistakes that may cause a wobble on a smaller bike can cost you the show on the Busa. Twisting to much throttle on during corner exit on a 600 is usually no big deal, on a busa could put you on your head, Kickstand issues, slow parking lot tip overs, etc... All these common little mistakes are going to be amplified on a busa. Then you mix in the physical size and power of the thing and I can see it just scarring the poop out of an inexperianced rider possibly forcing those small mistakes... lots of people have done it before successfully, but that doesn't neccessarily make it a good idea. Just be honest with yourself and decide if you have the self control and patience that learning on a Busa is going to take...

Here's a closing thought for you, Do not get a Busa as a first bike no matter what, because you won't really appreciate how powerful and well done it is without something to compare it to and if you ever get rid of it every other bike out there is going to feel slow... It would be like having a wealthy supermodel for your first...shoot everything after that is going to be kind of a step down...

vomit_smiley_023.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The Busa is my very first ever bike and I love it!  Everyone thought I was nuts and some still do but here I am, 8000 miles on the Busa in about 3 months owning her and I'm fine - loving every thrill riding moment!  
    My heart was just set on a Busa for over 2 years and there was not even a close second.  I wanted the BUSA!!!  When I first got on her I was pretty nervous as one could imagine but gratefully, I caught on fast.  I've had a few close calls as far as almost dropping her but I've learned from those and I feel more and more comfortable with it on every ride.  It really all comes down to rider ability, maturity, and just being able to swallow some pride and knowing your limitations.  If you have any doubts about your ability at all, don't get a Busa for a first ever bike or first sportsbike for that matter.  Like I've had friends try to get me to do wheelies and burnouts and such but I know I'm not quite ready for it yet so I don't go there, besides when I think of the money I've put into it including modifications, I make up my mind pretty quick - NO!.  I can admit that getting the Busa for my first bike probably wasn't the wisest thing but by God's grace, I've handled it pretty well and everything is OK.  The Busa is a great ride in every aspect, it's got the show and the go.  I can't compare the bike to anything else because the Busa is all I've ever ridden which makes me think, boy without the Busa, what else is there?  Does it get any better than this?  It turns heads like nothing else but it also makes your friends jealous too.  I have one friend that's so jealous, sometimes it seems as if he'd like nothing more than to see me lay the falcon down!
Oh And Busaman, in regards to friends and there envy issues? I am in sort of the same pickle...I think I made it worse by letting him take it for a spin. Now suddenly he really thinks they are poorly built, "Look at all the recalls", yadda yadda yadda...My solution, find other Busa's to ride with, or ride with folks who can seperate their ego's from their bikes... Thats what I did, and now I cannot keep up again...Damn Busa's are pretty quick...

YEAH GENERAL CONSENSUS WILL SAY STEP AWAY FROM THE BUSA. I SAY USE YOUR HEAD AND NOT THE TESTOSTERONE. I HAVE SEEN FIRST TIME BUSA RIDERS HANDLE WITH NO PROB UNTILL THEY COCKY AND UNDERESTIMATE THE MACHINE AND DONT GIVE HER THE RESPECT SHE DESERVES. BE CAREFUL AND GET THE FEEL OF HER PERSONALITY BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO BE THE HOSS OF THE HOUR AND SHOW OFF AND PROVE STUPID. BE SMART AND USE LOGIC, COMMON SENSE, BOUNDARIES, AND NOT THE BETTER PART OF YOUR GUY INSTINCTS. GOOD LUCK HAVE FUN AND WORSHIP HER.

Yeah Revilis, the newbie mistakes have almost gotten me a few times. Little stuff like coming up to a stop too fast I almost dropped her, making a slow u-turn too tight, not leaning enough in twisties, etc.... I've been lucky. You are right though, it's not a beginner bike.
It's ironic that you mention letting your friend take her for a ride and then him knocking the falcon even more. I've already thought about that with some of my buddies that like to take cheap shots at the Busa so I won't be letting them ride it just because I don't feel like listening to it. I'd love to ride with other Busa riders, can't find any in the area.

Yeah Revilis, the newbie mistakes have almost gotten me a few times.  Little stuff like coming up to a stop too fast I almost dropped her, making a slow u-turn too tight, not leaning enough in twisties, etc....  I've been lucky.  You are right though, it's not a beginner bike.  
It's ironic that you mention letting your friend take her for a ride and then him knocking the falcon even more.  I've already thought about that with some of my buddies that like to take cheap shots at the Busa so I won't be letting them ride it just because I don't feel like listening to it.  I'd love to ride with other Busa riders, can't find any in the area.
Yeah, glad you've kept it on two wheels. Now to ask the real annoying question but you've got counter steering down right? You know, push right to go right? Just checking. I have a buddy down here who has "years" of dirt experiance. He was saying that he knew how to ride but he mentioned having trouble in the corners. Poor bastid hadn't ever heard of counter steering. I showed him how to push the bar towards the inside of the corner and his eyes lit up the next time we got into some twisties...

Funny part about all of that was he considered a ZX9R a good "learning" bike. I am still laughing about that one. Damn nice bike, but talk about a wheelie machine...Learning bike...Heh!

thanks again for all the replies guys.

Yes I do have to respect the bike because I do realise what it can do, however I do not doubt my abilities as they are or the rate at which I learn, but I also do not get cocky and underestimate things, nor let friends tempt me into doing stupid crap (im the only one of my friends who hasnt got a ticket and poop for racing our cars because I just dont do it, I dont need to die yet)

If I get one im definately taking the msf (think thats it right?) courses so I can handle it better.

I beleive this guy I know with one is gonna let me take his for a short spin, because he works for my friend brian, whos rich, and his parents bought the guy the bike so he doesnt really care. So ill just have to see how things go in that department.

Revlis,
Yeah, before I got the bike, a friend of mine who is an experienced rider try to give me some pointers and told me about how you have to push right to go right and vice versa going left. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Well, my very first day on the Busa, I was on a curvy road doing about 65 and going into a curve there was oncoming traffic in the other lane and this got me nervous. I tried turning the handles to the right to get over more but just kept going more to the left until I was on the center line. I slowed down real fast while almost filling my drawers. I remembered at that moment what my friend told me before. I was like, "Ok, time to get this steering thing down before I kill myself real quick like". Anyway, I've got the counter-steering down. It's like second nature now. I don't even have to think about it anymore.

Revlis,
Yeah, before I got the bike, a friend of mine who is an experienced rider try to give me some pointers and told me about how you have to push right to go right and vice versa going left.  It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Well, my very first day on the Busa, I was on a curvy road doing about 65 and going into a curve there was oncoming traffic in the other lane and this got me nervous.  I tried turning the handles to the right to get over more but just kept going more to the left until I was on the center line.  I slowed down real fast while almost filling my drawers.  I remembered at that moment what my friend told me before.  I was like, "Ok, time to get this steering thing down before I kill myself real quick like".  Anyway, I've got the counter-steering down.  It's like second nature now.  I don't even have to think about it anymore.
Schweet, First time on a street bike I did the same thing...Trying to figure out how to turn a streetbike at 50 mph. It had me really confused so I got off of it and went to tkae the MSF beginners course. Suddenly, it all made sense and then about a year later bought my first bike. A Kanned Tuna 750...Knock on wood, still have yet to encounter a situation that dumb luck and or my MAD Skilz
sarcasm.gif
couldn't get me out of...

The busa is what i consider my first real bike, my first was a harley sportster which i rode for about 2 years. (does this count
laugh.gif
)

If you are getting a busa as a first bike BE VERY CAREFUL! Wear full gear, Keep a cool head, and stay away from mods that will increase acceleration for the few month. I whole heartedly offer this advise from experience.

I have been down on a busa, its not fun at all. The reason i went down can be traced down the to one thing, I paniced. This is why i say keep a cool head.

yea definately dont want to panic, gets you nowhere fast.

I dont think I would because in instances where I flew off the highway at 70mph in my car I didnt panic at all, I was just running through a checklist of things I should and shouldnt do, then I had time to wonder if it hurts when you get rolled in a car :p

My 03 Busa is my first sport bike.  I've always been a cruiser guy.  My current cruiser is a V Star 650 Classic, so adding a Busa to the stable was quite a jump, performance wise.  To me, the Busa is a gentle giant.  Because of it's high torque, it will behave like a pussy cat if you don't roll heavy on the throttle.  It handles better than the V Star at both slower and higher speeds.  Adjusting to the tucked seating position has not been a problem, even at my age, 66.  It only has 300 miles on it, so I've kept it under the 5500 rpm break-in limit, so far.  Not sure I will go too much over that in sixth gear anyway.  But you never know.

Back