For the Fish Keepers (or, not another gun thread, thank goodness)

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
There seems to be some rampant need at work for my coworkers to find inner peace...seems there are a few tiny fish tanks going up :laugh:

This got me thinking about my salt water/reef tank days, and I had a 120 gallon set up. I still have the 120, but it's filled with rocks, fake plants and African Cichlids now :laugh:

Has anyone here had any experience with the Nano Cube? It's an much smaller set up for reef keeping, mostly soft corals, small inverts, few fish...I've always had huge tanks (70 and 120 gal) and have always been trained to think the bigger the project, the better chance something will work out right...it takes a bit longer to ruin a huge set up, or, I can offer up a quick list of relatively quick ways to do damage from past experience :p

Are these tiny tanks worth the trouble? I found this kid on YouTube that seems to have things figured out; I'm kind of thinking I may give it a try myself...

Pretty and relaxing...I'll show my coworkers how to create prettier inner peace here at work, unless I opt to do this at home :whistle:

I am the proud owner of Saltwater Emotions - Home a Kansas city based saltwater aquarium maintenance company. Any questions you may have about the Nano Cubes I would be more than happy to answer. But to tell you briefly these are great designed little tanks, the newer versions that have been released lately offer metal halide lighting options as well as LED's. They typically require a few small modifications to get them running proficiently, their are some great forums out there like nanoreef.com that offer tons of tips on the mods. Overall they are a great bang for the buck and we have several customers that have been very happy with them... Currently at our home we have a JBJ 24 Gallong Aquapod with 2 Occelaris Clowns, a Cleaner Shrimp and a baby snowflake eel.

From what I'm reading initially on the Nano Cube, it doesn't come with a protein skimmer, correct? Are any of them on the market ready-to-go, out of the box? I have a protein skimmer for my 120, and it was pricey. I'm sure tiny ones are a pretty penny too!

Awesome that you know about this...I shall be asking you questions as I get closer to doing this (if I do) :) Lucky you!! :laugh:

With the Nano tanks water changes are more efficient than any of the commercially available protein skimmers...surprisingly a few of the manufacturers offer reasonable in rear sump skimmers powered by good old fashioned airstones and for their limited price (about $50) they do a decent job. I perform a 5 gallon water change on my system weekly and it has more than kepy my tank clean and happy...I have pretty substantial growth of my LPS, Leathers and numerous other small coral frags.

You will also want to go ahead and toss all the BioBalls they come with in the trash and replace them with rubble rock as the bioballs are little nitrate factories.

With the Nano tanks water changes are more efficient than any of the commercially available protein skimmers...surprisingly a few of the manufacturers offer reasonable in rear sump skimmers powered by good old fashioned airstones and for their limited price (about $50) they do a decent job. I perform a 5 gallon water change on my system weekly and it has more than kepy my tank clean and happy...I have pretty substantial growth of my LPS, Leathers and numerous other small coral frags.

You will also want to go ahead and toss all the BioBalls they come with in the trash and replace them with rubble rock as the bioballs are little nitrate factories.

Thanks for the info!

What size setup do you have?

We have many aquariums at our home, but our nano tank is a JBJ 24 Gallon Aquapod with 2 Occelaris Clowns, a Cleaner Shrimp and a baby snowflake eel.

My main display tank is a 7 foot 240 gallon reef tank though.

Imagine that -- I also migrated away from my marine tanks years ago (when I got married and my wife couldn't understand my desire to spend $300 - $400 on a single fish or coral) and all of my tanks now house freshwater fish as well.

Two weeks ago I was in my local aquarium store looking at one of the 36 gal Nanos & trying to decide if I should give it a go in my office. My biggest reservation is size -- I was also taught that small is not good with marine tanks and their ability to buffer when bad things start to happen. The sales guy was telling me the same things about these Nanos that Salty is saying. They also have several set up. It has me thinking hard about it.

Interesting to see a thread about this on a Motorcycle forum -- Maybe there will be a couple of us on the forum trying this out in the next few months.

--Sky

Hey Vabs I've got an umpteen billion gallon salt water tank just a few blocks from here.
It's called the Atlantic Ocean :)

:moon:

Hey Vabs I've got an umpteen billion gallon salt water tank just a few blocks from here.
It's called the Atlantic Ocean :)

:moon:

Hey, remember sunshine, I'm right along the coast too...5 miles to the bay/Atlantic myself :p

Imagine that -- I also migrated away from my marine tanks years ago (when I got married and my wife couldn't understand my desire to spend $300 - $400 on a single fish or coral) and all of my tanks now house freshwater fish as well.

Two weeks ago I was in my local aquarium store looking at one of the 36 gal Nanos & trying to decide if I should give it a go in my office. My biggest reservation is size -- I was also taught that small is not good with marine tanks and their ability to buffer when bad things start to happen. The sales guy was telling me the same things about these Nanos that Salty is saying. They also have several set up. It has me thinking hard about it.

Interesting to see a thread about this on a Motorcycle forum -- Maybe there will be a couple of us on the forum trying this out in the next few months.

--Sky

Small world, 'eh? I miss the saltwater set up sooooo much! It was such a joy to watch, and I had it in my kitchen where everyone would gather during parties. OMG, the compliments I used to get. It just got too pricey, but I won't lie, I often think about going back...perhaps starting small with a Nano Cube would help me decide if I want back in. Shoot, that won't be cheap either, but it's gotta be better than the nearly $10K I would imagine I parted ways with over a decade of reef keeping...

We've had a few aquarium threads here over the years; there are a few hobbyists here that ride Busas too :)

We have many aquariums at our home, but our nano tank is a JBJ 24 Gallon Aquapod with 2 Occelaris Clowns, a Cleaner Shrimp and a baby snowflake eel.

My main display tank is a 7 foot 240 gallon reef tank though.

Any pics of the Nano, and of course the 240?! OMG, twice what I have...and salt... :drool:

And what's the water temp there? :poke:
Still 74 here :moon:

Supposed to be 70 this weekend I hear...oh trust me, I hate winter, but this has been my home since I was 9, and I stayed because my Dad was here. Now that he's gone, I told Omar perhaps we should move south :whistle:

Supposed to be 70 this weekend I hear...oh trust me, I hate winter, but this has been my home since I was 9, and I stayed because my Dad was here. Now that he's gone, I told Omar perhaps we should move south :whistle:

water temp not the temp of the air in your head!

Ahh c'mon nothing beats snorkeling in some warm clear blue water and seeing a Tarpon or Manatee swim by.

Back