Calling gun guys (or gals?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrtRac3r

Registered
So my wife wanted a pistol around the house she felt more comfortable using. So since I'm in Cali I have a gen 4 g19 in jail for five more days of its ten day sentence. So I'm asking for opinions of people that embrace the modern, and the folks "stuck" in the old school.

She wants to use this as a range gun and keep ready when needed. She has experience with iron sights and I know the stock glock sights seem a little "loose" for the range. So what do yall think of red dots on the slide? Would cost me around 5-600$ to do and I've been reading a lot of good and bad, anyone have experience with this set up?

if you can, do a trijicon illuminated sight on somethin... works after hours in the dark and such... and don't forget training... hear enough about tragic accidents...

if you can, do a trijicon illuminated sight on somethin... works after hours in the dark and such... and don't forget training... hear enough about tragic accidents...

I agree. I'm gonna get her in more classes regarding self defense. I feel like an instructor could get through better than her feeling like I'm criticizing.

The sights I'm looking at are the triji dual illumination rtr and the leupold delta point. Both mini red dots.

Triji 4-600$
Leupold 4-550$

What about lasers?
They cost about a couple hundred - plus or minus.
Work day or night and many people with a dot on them will back down or run away without having to shoot them.

OK, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but lasers are a waste and quite possibly the biggest scam in handgun sights. Any of the red dot sights are hard to use also, great at the range but almost impossible to find when your in a hurry.

You would be WAAYY better off investing in a good quality flash light(if the light is so low that you can't see stock sights you probably shouldn't shoot anyway) and time at the range and learn to hit what the front sight is on, no fancy or expensive sights are needed.

OK, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but lasers are a waste and quite possibly the biggest scam in handgun sights. Any of the red dot sights are hard to use also, great at the range but almost impossible to find when your in a hurry.

You would be WAAYY better off investing in a good quality flash light(if the light is so low that you can't see stock sights you probably shouldn't shoot anyway) and time at the range and learn to hit what the front sight is on, no fancy or expensive sights are needed.

I agree with no special sights for a house gun. Really, how far do you think your going to shoot - 10- 15 or maybe 20 feet. If you need special sights for this, then you need more range firing. Remember
self defense is hard to defend if you shoot someone 15 yards away and say you feared for your life if he isn't armed. Especially in Cali ! Like I tell people here, you better be in a DEFENSIVE MODE and not
an OFFENSIVE MODE when or if you shoot someone.

I agree with everything said. Some easy to use lasers I don't think are bad when dual sighting. And I also agree that red dots can be hard to find, so again, dual sighting.

I think the red dot question is more for the range.

I appreciate all the comments, helps to read and think on the pros and cons.

I don't know about all states but many have a "Castle Law" and if stranger comes into your house you don't have to be in fear of your life to shoot.

Don't get me wrong - you don't just start blasting in the dark if you can't tell who it is.

My point is inside your home do you really need to aim. If you can't shoot someone 10 feet away from you from the hip then maybe
you shouldn't own or use a gun. Mace or pepper spray can be effective and less deadly.

Also if someone is running after you and you are running away from them (with a gun in hand) but feel in danger from great bodily harm
there is no way you are going to aim any more then you are going to use 2 hands on the gun! But how many people practice shooting one handed?
The chance of you standing like you do at a gun range is ZERO in real life, fear for your life encounters.
So in a home I don't think any kind of sighting device is "needed" but you are not always in your home and if you carry it with you other places then that's different.

If a guy pulls a knife on you 5 feet away and IF you can react quickly enough and pull your gun out, a laser MIGHT make him turn around without you having to shoot him.
I'm a fan of NOT shooting people if you don't have to. If he didn't turn around and leave - well then would seem like you are in danger of great bodily harm. JMO

If you are waiting to center the laser on the target before pulling the trigger, then laser is probably not for you.

Up close, center of mass with regular sights is good enough. What I do like about the glock is that it has a natural fit; i.e. when you put it in your hand and point it at the target, a lot of times the sights seem to line up automatically. I can put my G19 in my hand and point/shoot without even looking down the sights, and be pretty dang close.

Make sure you teach your wife about the safety (or really, pretty much a lack thereof), and immediate action in the dark. Also good thing about Glocks is they are a lot like gixxer motors (rarely fail)..

I couldn't agree more with this post.

Lasers are a complete waste of money. And I like red dot sights, but not for my home protection gun. And there's nothing wrong with factory Glock sights, in my honest opinion. I feel they work great for well lit and low light situations, and they are easy to get on center of mass quickly.

I also agree on the notion that a flashlight is important. Both of my "bump in the night" guns have quality/bright lights on them.

StrtRac3r - Has your wife handled the G19 yet? The reason I ask is because many women don't have the hand strength to manipulate a modern semi-auto. Or they just aren't comfortable with it. My sister can barely rack the slide on any of my Glocks - not something I'd want her struggling to do in a B&E situation. But she handles my wheelguns very well. Revolvers are more simple, less intimidating to the inexperienced shooter, and easier to manipulate. Just a thought. If you wife struggles with the Glock, have her try a snubnose .38. Something like a Smith & wesson model 637.

I've handled the glock and we have a Sig, both are comfy.

I've got my Dad's .38, but it's never even been fired. I've heard it's accuracy might not be great, but if someone's coming in my home, I'll fire anything I can get my hands on. My sons, 12 & 14, have rifles and shotguns and they've both told me that they load 'em and walk downstairs at their Dad's house if they fear someone's in the home, so they think like me - just be prepared, don't care what you have in your hands, just have something. I have no doubt my sons would hit their targets.

We've all taken several classes together as well.

The wheel gun is a good idea. If you can get a 357 magnum it is ideal. You can practice with 38 special so it doesn't scare her. Then work up to the 38 lastly you can put 357 magnum when she is ready.

Realistically in a critical incident like a b&e she won't even notice the recoil.

If you want an automatic make sure she racks it right. Most people grab the slide like a slingshot. Possibly perpetuated by Hollywood. Bring the point the gun across your body ( in a safe direction) and take the weak hand and grasp the slide with your palm over the top and push the slide and frame in opposite directions. That technique takes strength out of the equation.

But... Click no bang
- wheel gun - pull trigger again.
Automatic - hit the bottom of the mag rack the slide while rolling it toward the ejection port, readdress the target. Takes lots of practice.

Which do you want her doing when addressing a threat?

IMO - I'd save the money on sites and spend it on ammo and/or range time. 7 yards and under on standard head and torso target until you can drill chest double taps in a 5 inch or better circle all day everyday. Practice weaver, off hand and opposite hand. If she's going to carry, practice shooting from holstered position. Build muscle memory with the same handgun. Once she's gotten the basic shooting out of the way and incorporated safe gun handling, she can practice at longer ranges, and moving or multiple targets. And, decide what shooting aids are helpful to her.

Picking your pistol up should be as natural and easy as tying your own shoes.

BTW - Glock is a good weapon, I've carried a glock 26 for nearly two decades now and it still goes bang. Semi-auto passive safety guns like the Glock take a bit more training/awarness to use safely.

Also - I agree that a revolver is a better choice for intermitent users, but not with the .357 cartridge. Effective cartridge no doubt. .357 loads in small J frames are outrageous. :) If you must to use .357 make sure it's in L or N frame sized weapon. No ears on, hot .357 in a small lite weight frame is disorienting and disconcerting. Not really ideal for home defense. 38 special probably the better choice unless your wife is a real life "Dirty Harry"

If you want an automatic make sure she racks it right. Most people grab the slide like a slingshot. Possibly perpetuated by Hollywood. Bring the point the gun across your body ( in a safe direction) and take the weak hand and grasp the slide with your palm over the top and push the slide and frame in opposite directions. That technique takes strength out of the equation.

You beat me to it...PERFECT....

Red Dot on the slide makes it a cool toy.For a house gun..no..have time to turn the dot on is not likely..Night sights are good in the dark and I love the one I have but muscle memory wins all.

11071417_620891031344905_8962551824452158014_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back