Florida people!!!

criomega

Donating Member
Registered
Someone told me some crap that rocket riders have to wear helmets in Florida while other bikers don't. Is there no helmet in Florida like I thought or is this stuff true?

Here's the deal. In the State of Florida, If you are ignorant enough to want to ride lidless and you are over 21 you may do so provided you carry a specified amount of insurance. This was done so the general population would not have to pay for the care of and then eventually bury stupid people.

Yep what they said......Doesn't make a difference what bike you are on, laws are the same here....

I think if you choose not to wear a helmet, it should be MANDATORY that you are an organ donor..

Hey Crio ... you have my full permission to slap the fella who told you that.
boxing.gif

I'm don't ride to often without a helmet its just nice if Im going to be down there riding that if I feel traffic is lite I can take it off.

I believe you still need eye protection, even at night(sunglasses no good at night, you have to have the yellow or clear type).

Unless you're strolling down Main St. in the middle of bike week doing all of 5mph, you would be smart to wear a helmet.

Here's the deal. In the State of Florida, If you are ignorant enough to want to ride lidless and you are over 21 you may do so provided you carry a specified amount of insurance. This was done so the general population would not have to pay for the care of and then eventually bury stupid people.
+1
beerchug.gif

I'm don't ride to often without a helmet its just nice if Im going to be down there riding that if I feel traffic is lite I can take it off.
Since you're from MI and you have a helmet law there, you are used to wearing a lid all the time. It will feel wierd going w/out a lid and you prolly find yourself wanting to put it back on. I used to ride w/out gear all the time and became a gear nazi after surviving a wreck that should have killed me. Even if traffic is light or it's just a short trip, wear your gear. Ask Brendanp. He almost didn't wear his gear because it was gonna be just a short ride. His boy insisted that he put it on and that saved him from being hurt alot worse. Just a short ride in light traffic can turn fatal in an instant. Just my .02

Yep what they said about needing proper insurance and age thing. Being a Floridian I see people riding bikes without lids all time. Mostly Harley Style bikes. I would suggest wearing a helmet at all times. Now I admit to when taken the occasional person for a ride around the block I/we went without helmets,but never hit a Major road or went very fast. Anything that involved going on a road with potential HAZARD A helmet was worn.

I witnessed my friend who got me into riding(20 or so years ago) take a 60pmh crash. Some young kid(16yr old) rushing to cross US19(beat the traffic) pulled out right in front of us. I managed to swerve barely missing his rear bumper,but my friend wasn't so fortunate. 60 to 0mph into the side of the car. Many injuries,if it wasn't for the helmet(Simpson dark vader) He would of died. These images are something burned into my waking life. Point is you can't control your environment. Take care to protect yourself as much as possible.

The thing about insurance in Florida to ride without a lid is correct. the thing alot of people dont realize is that it is not motorcycle insurance it is Health insurance with a minimum coverage of 10000 dollars.

I'm definately a helmet advocate. I guess I've worn them for so long it would be wierd not to have it on. We don't have a helment law here in Arizona and we see a lot of HD riders not wearing any gear at all. However, I'm starting to see a lot more of them starting to wear lids. I'm definately an advocate of freedom of choice and would not vote for a helment law, but I definately believe that folks are really puting their lives on the line when they make the decision not to wear a lid.

$10,000 of insurance will not completely cover the airlift from the scene of the crash to the trama center.

A friend of mine got a ticket while riding with a lid and the visor up without sunglasses. Its not your dome they are concerned with it's eye protection. As long as you have eye protection everything is cool over 21 and with the proper endorsement. Personally I'm wearing my lid from now on. Mine saved me some skin.

arai.JPG

Admittedly I was in the Dumbazz club for a while. I was on my Hardly Softail coming home @ 2am from a ride with a buddy. Some fat azzed biotch decided to turn right from the left hand turn lane giving me 20 feet of notice @ 45 mph. by the grace of the good Lord I'm here today. I stayed mounted and never went down. The good news is that the rear sissy bar was well protected with my Arai Hellmet firmly attached to it. My head however was bare. Ever since my wake up call I've had the opinions expressed above. My next door neighbor's Son-in-law always considered me a fanatic about helmets and swore nothing would ever happen to him! He's dead now. He was looking pretty dang cool right until the point where his head was split wide open. His passenger who was wearing a helmet didn't even get road rash from the 35 mph crash. His final health expenses were about $300 for the ambulance ride to the morgue @ the hospital. His death did serve a purpose. My son won't even sit on his dirt bike now without being geared up completely and i'm not even allowed to move any of the bikes around the house by driving them without a helmet on! My son made that perfectly clear. For that ,John, I thank You.
 I apologize for not making the "Health" insurance point. Everybody is required to have PIP in Florida. Motorcyclists are required to have an additional policy for health Ins. That is a minimum of $10k. The two combined policies provide $20k to go towards the final health expenses of the dumbazz.

Back