Moving from Cali to Florida

dbf82

Registered
So I'm a military vet having lived all over this country. Moved from South Dakota to California with in the past 2 years....not a huge change in my riding style from those two states. South Dakota has many twisties like cali canyons(7 out of 10 for similarities) minus the traffic and huge buildings. I'm a florida native but I haven't ridden a bike on florida streets in over 10 years??? How much different is riding in florida in comparison to say a cali rider?...also how does law enforcement treat sportbike riders down there? I haven't had any issues with CHP since I've been here:laugh:...i go kinda fast:whistle:. I just put 5 stacks into the bike to get it all nice and pretty and stuff and I don't want to attract anymore attention to myself to warrant trouble. Thanks

What part of Fla.? I'am from Jax. You can find some roads thats ok for touring but as you know all the roads are flat, cops here don't really target you but, we have a new law here that you must know about, if they even think your racing they can (take) your bike and you will never see it again. I like to play around but I'am real carefull...Hope this helps

I ride over to Florida sometimes with some friends, we've never had a problem with the police. the roads are pretty good, but not much in the way of good twisties.

Not really any twisties. The cops will jam you up HARD if they catch youracing or exceeding the speed limit by 30+. My advice for you is to slow down and enjoy riding without the excessive speed. Seems lots of places are cracking down on bikes as they go too fast and then crash into cages who are minding their own business......pisses off people with families etc. Where are you moving to in Florida?

Also have a motorcycle endorsement on your license and your tag mounted in the right place..Just fyi...

And process your license fast because the database for motorcycle endorsements seem to be hard to verify after a few months after you move...ask me how I know.

I was in East Central Fla. I found the cops to be mostly jerks. Power tripping cowboys. But not all so it's a roll of the dice.

Like everyone else said, it is pretty flat so the twisties are hard to find.

Also have a motorcycle endorsement on your license and your tag mounted in the right place..Just fyi...

+1 For the endorsement but the plate mounting rule was changed in June, so that wont be an issue. Insurance is not required though unless you are riding dirty (no helmet).

Just remember we are flat and straight here in sunny Florida...lol.

There are some new street racing rules. Basically if you are more than 20 over and riding with atleast one other bike you are now street racing. $1000 fine and they get to keep your bike for 30 days.

Just keep your speed to the track and the occassional backroad that you know the po po doesnt visit. Plus the interstates and toll roads will tag you with planes for speeding around here.

Riding 365 days a year though if you dont mind a little rain!! :thumbsup:

Florida has it's own special set of laws developed for sport bikers :whistle: They all end with impound :laugh:

EVERYTHING IS FLAT AND STRAIGHT SOUTH OF PALM BEACH COUNTY ! You have been warned. Imagine this + , that is what you will ride on around here flat 90 degree turns built around a grid pattern. Good if you miss you turn, make three rights and your right back but sucks for riding. The police here are very nice. Same as windows that are too dark. They are intelligent enough to know who to pull over and whom not. Idiots get what they deserve and mature riders no matter the bike get respect. Make sure no matter what helmet you have on you wear shatterproof glasses on because they will stop you for no eye protection. You have the option of riding without a lid but still need eye protection. Also as mentioned get your FL moto license asap as they will run your plate and only give you one warning. If system shows warning already given and you still have no moto stamp its gettin towed !
Please refress yourself on current Fl law regarding bikes as they have just changed it and now I think your FIRST WHEELIE will cost you $1K.
Other than that a 12 month riding season can't be all bad !

I have worked with and trained police officers here as well as agents from others agencies. I have lived in 10 states and have found FL cops to be the most unbiased of them all.
By that I mean they do not greet you upon a stop with an attitude and will give you the same respect recieved.
Fl has CWP and MANY folks carry even when riding so the police here tend to be a little more low key than others.
As long as your tag is visible it does not matter where it is. I saw a kid the other day had it glued to his helmet !
Could not get my phone out quick enough to take a pic.

Last edited:
Bring your rain gear along for every ride. Even when the forecast doesn't call for rain it will still rain.

/hate rain!

All I have to say RAIN AND FLATS...if I was in your shoes I would be hating life....but thats out of the question so.....from my experience.....riding in FL was boring, just for me though...theres just not the scenic views as here, my perspective of riding has been ruined after being here :thumbsup: i dont think I could ever enjoy riding somewhere else as much

There are some things that cannot be beat. Yes I miss the twisties but nothing beats a cool ride thru the keys. Here is a pic of the 7 mile bridge in Marathon. :thumbsup:

Bridge5.jpg

No canyon cutting here in the far South.. but we do ride all year round barring Hurricanes. If you like water activities you will be ok, Para sailing, diving jet skiing,water skiing, boating and fishing. There is more to Florida than straight lines not much more but still more:laugh:

dry-tortugas-national-park-key-west-fla438.jpg

There are large numbers of people who love to ride here. As for the cops you will feel the heat. The worse you ride (outside the rules) the more you feel the heat of LEO. They hate sportbikers down here an take any opportunity to show you, so watch how you ride here. But I like riding down here. or could be the hot Latin women here who happen to love bikes also :whistle:

dry-tortugas-national-park-key-west-fla438.jpg

He's got a point, very nice down there as far as coast riding, and the Keys are cool, I came from PR so to me it was same ole same ole....im guessing if you just ride and abide by the rules LEO cant do squat...so why worry if your doing the right thing...now...riding to South Beach...on a summer day or better yet summer night...now that was GREAT.....specially with the amount of mami's that go around. Can't beat that part....

well I think we all know that I am not flat, personally....lol.

And How would we know that? ? ? :whistle: ???

If yer moving to the Tampa area I can hook you up with some decent roads.
They aren't the Dragon or PC1 but they aren't all straight either.

:hijack: Raider out.
P1595

And How would we know that? ? ? :whistle: ???

If yer moving to the Tampa area I can hook you up with some decent roads.
They aren't the Dragon or PC1 but they aren't all straight either.

:hijack: Raider out.
P1595

You must have missed the thread where BA Busa posted a pic that he jacked from my facebook pics...lol.

Back