Helmet vs. invisible helmet

Here in New York, helmets are the law, so I don't know any different. I just got back from South Carolina where helmets are not mandatory over 16 yo. I rode once without it and felt naked. Also felt VERY unsafe. So, I always wore it. I got some stange looks from other bikers, but I don't care--just felt more natural to me.

Here in iowa you dont have to wear one and I didnt until my buddy got smaked by a dump truck at 50 mph last week and had no head injury due to his helmet rode with one all day but dont like it hevy and hot but will get used to it Im sure.

JEEEEEEEEEZ!!! i'm guna sound like the nut in here i guess but anyway-i wear a lid when the weather prevents me from doing otherwise; most sunny dayz u mite catch me in a do-rag or bball hat bakwerds, or jus cruisn with the wig out-all 1/8" of hair on my head....
i dont care if i get jumped on for this-does everybody here lock all their doors when they get in the car n always put on their belts before they start the car? look both ways thirty times before crossing the street? get all their meat cooked well done-n check it before they eat it? oh and probly no smokers in here either???

-cuz if any of ya'll AREN'T doing all that other shid all the time-ur just as much at risk of hurtin yourself a hundred other ways...i'll stop the rant before i get to all the reasons why helmets impair vision, hearing, and mobility... n somebody in here rocks an ipod while riding?!?!?! why not just throw sum woofers under the rear hump with a MP3 player-then you REALLY won't hear that car coming....
rant.gif

Seldom, only when the weather's cold.

My choice, and glad to live in a state that gives me that choice.

Almost always. Summer gets hot and IL has no helmet law. Very short distance if I go without.

I spent too much money on my helmets to have then just sit. Besides I just feel safer and I don't get as many bugs in my teeth

I hate my Helmet. on the busa you break your neck trying to look up at a light and the side vision Sucks........But I was going to go to Deland and said I guess I should wear it going that far.. Know I would be acting up.. I was less than a mile from the house when I smacked the Truck.. so glad I had it on.. I heard it hit the Truck and the road Hard... Just need to redesign them...

DSC00012.jpg

I do use the ipod when riding. I dont have it cranked and I can actually hear better with the ipod than with no helmet. It blocks the wind noise and makes the ride much better. A firetruck came up on me last week and I actually heard it quicker with the ipod in and the helmet on. I tend to get a lot of wind noise without it. Maybe it is the wind whipping through my ears
smile.gif

I never ride without a helmet and the rest of my gear. It's not worth the risk.

I carry a 6" scar on the side of my head where the strap on my helmet broke in an accident and came off. The helmet tore the scalp as it came off. I can only magine what my head would have looked like without it. Probably a closed casket. This was 34 years ago and I wear one still. I can ride a motorcycle in shorts and flip flops except for one problem. Like has been said several times, "You don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash." Now, I occasionally ride in jeans and a T-shirt, but I always wear the skid lid.

Dan

I second BigDiesel to some extent. I don't live in a helmet free area but when I hit Myrtle Beach I enjoy ever opportunity I get to ride w/o one. It feels different but I like it.

I'll ride w/o one throughout my neighborhood but that's it.

Some would say there's not much between my left ear & right.
But whatever is in there I'd like to keep, as opposed to it being all over the street.
If my Azzz is in the saddle I wear a helmet !!!!

always where it on the busa i used to go without when i had my harley but not any more (my family needs me to go to work every day and you need a head to do that).
vader1.gif

Always. Tried it once in sturgis since nobody wears a full face helmet there and I have no idea how ppl do that, your eyes water above 30mph. Probably needed the full goggles instad of regular sunglasses but still no thanks. I've smashed my head on the pavement riding wheelies on a dirt bike at work about 12 years ago and that was enough for me.  Gear is good.

<!--EDIT|TheDude27
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145898692 -->

Forget the law in your states and always wear your helmet even you go about a mile .

Back