First service

Blah Blah Blah, find a dealership that doesn't Blow, find some people you trust and have no fear.  Mysteriously Motorcycle DEALERSHIPS, stay in business.  WITHOUT screwing over their customers.  

Good grief, if all dealerships were as BAD you all make them sound they would all go out of business and we would all be screwed...

Support your local dealerships, and they will be there when you really need them.  If you don't, they fail and when you need em' you'll be screwed.  Not saying all dealerships are perfect, but so much of the complaining I here on the boards is some folks who are expecting some kind of Red Velvet Rope experiance or are so convinced that their dealership is full of Pirates and so defensive that NOTHING ANYONE can do will be enough.

If you're a trained tech or at least competant?  Go ahead do it yourself keep records.  If you are not?  Why waste a day or more plus risk stripping bolts and otherwise ruining a perfectly good bike?  Let the Pro's handle it.

before taking your bike anywhere for service ask to see the shop itself.  If it's clean and organized you can pretty much trust the work to be the same.  If it's dirty and trashed, work will prolly follow...

FWIW...
+1
afro.gif

I must admit I took mine to the dealership for the first service. Dropped it off at 8:30 and it was ready before 10:00. Not bad in terms of time, but if I knew then what I know now I would have done it myself.

I know nobody else has mentioned this but I recommend you do the first maintenance and all others yourself
tounge.gif

They had my bike for the day. I would not let anyone have it for 2-3 days, go somewhere else for the service.

Blah Blah Blah, find a dealership that doesn't Blow, find some people you trust and have no fear.  Mysteriously Motorcycle DEALERSHIPS, stay in business.  WITHOUT screwing over their customers.  

Good grief, if all dealerships were as BAD you all make them sound they would all go out of business and we would all be screwed...

Support your local dealerships, and they will be there when you really need them.  If you don't, they fail and when you need em' you'll be screwed.  Not saying all dealerships are perfect, but so much of the complaining I here on the boards is some folks who are expecting some kind of Red Velvet Rope experiance or are so convinced that their dealership is full of Pirates and so defensive that NOTHING ANYONE can do will be enough.

If you're a trained tech or at least competant?  Go ahead do it yourself keep records.  If you are not?  Why waste a day or more plus risk stripping bolts and otherwise ruining a perfectly good bike?  Let the Pro's handle it.

before taking your bike anywhere for service ask to see the shop itself.  If it's clean and organized you can pretty much trust the work to be the same.  If it's dirty and trashed, work will prolly follow...

FWIW...
Rev, I do support my local dealer by purchasing the bike there, along with tons of oil, filters, chain lube, brake pads etc. I do not allow them to work on my bike, not because I think they will rip me off, but because I have the ability, tools and place to work on my own bike. I enjoy working on my stuff almost as much as riding it. I know there are others who feel the same way. Your point is well taken though. We need to keep in mind not all riders have the mechanical ability, equipment, and place to work on their bikes. Best way to learn though is to start with things you do often, like oil and filter changes, chain adjustment and cleaning, air filter changes, spark plugs etc. If you do not have the desire to work on your bike, by all means take it to a dealer. Just my $.02

Do not over tighten the oil plug if you do it yourself,I'm running out of pans!
laugh.gif

Thanks all for your suggestions and support. I really appreciate it.

As GSXcite metioned, there are some people who do not have the mechanical skills, equipment or the place to work on their bikes. Unfortunately, I am one of the few who lacks all three above  
biggrin.gif

I definitely want to work on my bike. But I know it will take me some time to get started and the first service is not where I want to start experimenting  
biggrin.gif
But yeah, the second service will definitely be a DIY affair
wink.gif

Anyways, I am going to the dealership on Saturday to pick up my plates. I'll speak to them and if they can do it then and there, great. Like Warputer said, they might do that if you tell them that you are not dropping off the bike. Otherwise I'll find one that'll do it. I'll post up how it goes.

biggrin.gif

FWIW...
Rev, the problem around here is, there are no officially "trained" mechanics and the word "tech" wouldnt describe any of the guys working at the dealerships here. I wish there were someone around that I had enough confidence in to leave my bike with them. My sign came when I had my new chain put on. The "tech"/kid didnt want me watching what he was doing. He looked at me crazy when I wanted him to adjust the chain while its on the side stand and asked me "why would you want to do that?" I said, UMMM maybe because thats the way the manual says to do it. Needless to say I told him to leave it as is and I adjusted it outside in the parking lot. He was there "lead" mechanic. God help me if I ever need my case opened up.

Mine was less than 2 hours, Dropped off, got lunch, walked bak and rode off...

FWIW...
+1

If your dealer sucks - find another one.

My dealership rocks. We do it while you wait. You guys have some ###### dealerships out there.

Let me guess, you either bought it at Chicago Cycles or South Suburban Suzuki? Chicago cycles is way too big (over 300 bikes on the showroom floor) and they don't care about service, just selling bikes. South Suburban is way too small and good at what they do, which makes them too busy to get anything done.

I have never dropped my Busa off for service...do it yourself!  
wink.gif
 Oil changes are easy...save the $$$  
cool.gif

Just keep receipts and document what you did/how many miles...bike never sits in a shop...
Good points by all except for one thing. Not having your first service done by the dealership will void your warranty. After that, it's all on you. I noticed the other day that our local dealership now charges $70 per hour for service.
sad.gif

Blah Blah Blah, find a dealership that doesn't Blow, find some people you trust and have no fear. Mysteriously Motorcycle DEALERSHIPS, stay in business. WITHOUT screwing over their customers.

Support your local dealerships, and they will be there when you really need them. If you don't, they fail and when you need em' you'll be screwed. Not saying all dealerships are perfect, but so much of the complaining I here on the boards is some folks who are expecting some kind of Red Velvet Rope experiance or are so convinced that their dealership is full of Pirates and so defensive that NOTHING ANYONE can do will be enough.

If you're a trained tech or at least competant? Go ahead do it yourself keep records. If you are not? Why waste a day or more plus risk stripping bolts and otherwise ruining a perfectly good bike? Let the Pro's handle it.

before taking your bike anywhere for service ask to see the shop itself. If it's clean and organized you can pretty much trust the work to be the same. If it's dirty and trashed, work will prolly follow...

FWIW...
Rev, I do support my local dealer by purchasing the bike there, along with tons of oil, filters, chain lube, brake pads etc. I do not allow them to work on my bike, not because I think they will rip me off, but because I have the ability, tools and place to work on my own bike. I enjoy working on my stuff almost as much as riding it. I know there are others who feel the same way. Your point is well taken though. We need to keep in mind not all riders have the mechanical ability, equipment, and place to work on their bikes. Best way to learn though is to start with things you do often, like oil and filter changes, chain adjustment and cleaning, air filter changes, spark plugs etc. If you do not have the desire to work on your bike, by all means take it to a dealer. Just my $.02
The Key is you have the tools and the ability. The Hayabusa or ANY high performance street bike is a terrible place to decide to play mechanic. Stripped bolts, improperly torqued nuts, lack of loctite etc... All this can lead to doubt or actual danger.

SO while I am not say DO NOT DO THE WORK YOURSELF. I am saying If you do not know what you are doing? DON'T DO IT!
thumbs-up.gif

At least with the bikes. Cars are another matter, have at it, generally worst thing that can happen is you end up stuck in the boonies. Bike though? Things can get dangerous real quick.

I look at bike maintenence very much like Aircraft. My life really does depend on things being done properly. I don't need that kind of stress.

Also first service is special, I've heard it before and after working at the dealership I know it to be true. Allways take your bike in for it's initial service and get it in the computer. It can make the difference between broken parts being covered under warranty or not.

So that's where I am at and good on ya for shopping at your local dealership. Establish that relationship and watch how good your treatment becomes.

Blah Blah Blah, find a dealership that doesn't Blow, find some people you trust and have no fear. Mysteriously Motorcycle DEALERSHIPS, stay in business. WITHOUT screwing over their customers.

Support your local dealerships, and they will be there when you really need them. If you don't, they fail and when you need em' you'll be screwed. Not saying all dealerships are perfect, but so much of the complaining I here on the boards is some folks who are expecting some kind of Red Velvet Rope experiance or are so convinced that their dealership is full of Pirates and so defensive that NOTHING ANYONE can do will be enough.

If you're a trained tech or at least competant? Go ahead do it yourself keep records. If you are not? Why waste a day or more plus risk stripping bolts and otherwise ruining a perfectly good bike? Let the Pro's handle it.

before taking your bike anywhere for service ask to see the shop itself. If it's clean and organized you can pretty much trust the work to be the same. If it's dirty and trashed, work will prolly follow...

FWIW...
Rev, the problem around here is, there are no officially "trained" mechanics and the word "tech" wouldnt describe any of the guys working at the dealerships here. I wish there were someone around that I had enough confidence in to leave my bike with them. My sign came when I had my new chain put on. The "tech"/kid didnt want me watching what he was doing. He looked at me crazy when I wanted him to adjust the chain while its on the side stand and asked me "why would you want to do that?" I said, UMMM maybe because thats the way the manual says to do it. Needless to say I told him to leave it as is and I adjusted it outside in the parking lot. He was there "lead" mechanic. God help me if I ever need my case opened up.
There is that, there are times when there is NO good solution nearby. That's when you buy a service manual and buy buddies beer...

I didn't take my bike back to the dealer for the first service, so your saying my warranty is no good?

My 1st service took a little over 1hr. I smoked a few cigs, looked at a few bikes and other crap and was back on the road. I'm approaching 2k now so it's about time to be thinking about #2 I think.

And... you can download the manual here.
Definitely do it yourself and keep records and receipts, get intimate with your ride, you will find that the only mechanic you can trust is yourself, "if you can ride, you can service!"

By the way, I have just about wore out the search function looking for the downloadable service manual, Please Help and post a link if anyone knows where it is!!! Thank you!!

Back