First service

ChiBusa

Registered
So I get a call from the stealership that my license plates have come in and I tell him that since I am planning to come in on Saturday for my first service, I'll pick the plates up then. I ask him "BTW...how long does the service take?" and he's like "2-3 days". So I think maybe he misunderstood me or something so I ask again and he tells me that I need to drop the bike off and pick it up after 2-3 days...!!!
wow.gif

Is this for real...??? Is this really how long a service takes...??? Do all you guys drop off your bikes for service for days...??? (Knowing how crazy everybody around here is about his ride, I'm pretty sure NOT...!!!
tounge.gif
)

Frankly I'm not very comfortable with the idea of dropping off my bike for service. Not sure how it works here in the US but back home I have always sat right next to the guy doing the service. Just gives me peace of mind to know exactly what is being done on my bike.

rant.gif

I have never dropped my Busa off for service...do it yourself!
wink.gif
Oil changes are easy...save the $$$
cool.gif

Just keep receipts and document what you did/how many miles...bike never sits in a shop...

Most say that.....but if u just drive up , tell em what you're there for and tell them you'll be "waiting" ......they'll do it then .

Save yourself the trouble and do it your own self.
biggrin.gif

But to answer your question, no, it should not take 2-3 days for an initial service...

DO IT YOURSELF....................for peace of mind and you'll save lots of bucks! They'll just screw something up (guaranteed!) and scratch your plastics in the process! Look in your Owner's Manual, it tells you what to do. Your warantee will still be in effect also.
All they'd do is change oil and filter and if your're really lucky, they might even spray a little lube on your chain. Get down and close and get acquainted with your baby, DO IT YOURSELF!
smile.gif

Sounds like those guys just wants your bike for a 3 day weekend ride...
Don't fall for it...
Service should not take more than a coupla hours...

David

Do it yourself man! Any question that might arise can be adressed rapidly by just coming back here and asking around or searching. Were here for ya Bro!

Get some decent oil & filter, a torque wrench and a six pack and youll be done in no time and you'll learn something about what makes your bike tick at the same time. Win/Win!

I dropped off my bike for the first service (06 Busa) and got a Used GSXR to ride to get breakfast. When I got back several hours (about 2) later, the bike was ready and the cost was $85 bucks ! Well worth the 140 mile round trip and fun day
wink.gif
. Plus I got to google all the new bikes on the floor and swap bike stories while sipping a Latte'
tounge.gif

I dropped off my bike for the first service (06 Busa) and got a Used GSXR to ride to get breakfast. When I got back several hours (about 2) later, the bike was ready and the cost was $85 bucks ! Well worth the 140 mile round trip and fun day
wink.gif
. Plus I got to google all the new bikes on the floor and swap bike stories while sipping a Latte'
tounge.gif
That is indeed a rarity...must be because you're Da' Colonel.

Chibusa, just do it yourself. If you can loosen and tighten bolts you should be fine, just DO NOT overtighten the drain plug. Cleaning/lubricating/adjusting the chain is easy as well. Once you do it it gets easier every time.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155848917 -->

If their mechanics are "special" and arrive to work on a short school bus it might take them 2 to 3 HOURS for the first service. A real mechanic will do it in an hour or less.
At 2 to 3 days, they plan on leaving it sit around until it's convenient for them. When the more important $$$$ jobs are done they'll get around to working on your bike, doing a half azzed job at it and charging you a small fortune.

As everybody else has said----DO IT YOURSELF!
And NO it doesn't void your warranty as long as you document and save receipts.

wink.gif
tounge.gif
That is indeed a rarity...must be because you're Da' Colonel.

Chibusa, just do it yourself.  If you can loosen and tighten bolts you should be fine, just DO NOT overtighten the drain plug.  Cleaning/lubricating/adjusting the chain is easy as well.  Once you do it it gets easier every time.
Naaaaaaa, it's because of my Wonderful Personality and Good Looks  
laugh.gif
. Plus, they like me
blush.gif

Dood. Drain plug is 17mm, torque wrench at 16 ftlbs (book calls for 16.5), 4 qts of earl and a new filter (if you use a Zook filter, the stealership has the 3/8 drive filter wrench for like 6 bucks) - get a 6 dollar container at walmart for the old earl -

Most of the dealerships have no concept of scheduling work. Its all taken on first come first serve basis. So your bike is waaiting in line for 2 days for them to do 2 hours work.

1st. I need to take my bike where the Col does! If my shop has the bike that long it's becuase everyone is taking turns riding it home at night.

2nd. Do it your self.

I would NEVER drop my busa off at a dealer to work on it. Best way to know if the work is done right is to DO IT YOURSELF.Lots of support here on the org.

This reminds of the oil change at Walmart. At one point I thought i would get my oil in my car changed at walmart becasue they would do a full synthetic (Mobil 1) change for less than I could buy the oil and filter for! Well now you pull in there and ask the guy how long it will be he says "two hours"! I look and there is a car in the bay and a car in front of me in line. I am like dude Jiffylube can do a few dozen of them in that time. You get what you pay for!

Just do it and you'll be riding in an hour!

Blah Blah Blah, find a dealership that doesn't Blow, find some people you trust and have no fear. Mysteriously Motorcycle DEALERSHIPS, stay in business. WITHOUT screwing over their customers.

Good grief, if all dealerships were as BAD you all make them sound they would all go out of business and we would all be screwed...

Support your local dealerships, and they will be there when you really need them. If you don't, they fail and when you need em' you'll be screwed. Not saying all dealerships are perfect, but so much of the complaining I here on the boards is some folks who are expecting some kind of Red Velvet Rope experiance or are so convinced that their dealership is full of Pirates and so defensive that NOTHING ANYONE can do will be enough.

If you're a trained tech or at least competant? Go ahead do it yourself keep records. If you are not? Why waste a day or more plus risk stripping bolts and otherwise ruining a perfectly good bike? Let the Pro's handle it.

before taking your bike anywhere for service ask to see the shop itself. If it's clean and organized you can pretty much trust the work to be the same. If it's dirty and trashed, work will prolly follow...

FWIW...

I would say, do it yourself.

However, I am on my second busa and both have been to the stealership for their first service. The first one they did in two days and the second one in one day. The main reason was work ahead of me. I understand that since these are small dealers with maybe two mechanics available. They do service a lot of bikes at this one.

After the first service, I have been doing it myself. Its simple, quick and you are back riding in a snap. That reminds me I need to purchase that "one-hand" rear stand
wow.gif

later

1st. I need to take my bike where the Col does!
Gunny, that's gona be a long ride for Ya
laugh.gif
. It's the Honda - Suz - Harley Dealership (Bartlesville Cycle Sports) in Bartlesville, Okla !!! Little town 45 miles north of Tulsa. Just a down right GREAT Dealership ---- Bar None. I have never met anyone there, salesman, tech, parts personel or service manager that wasn't top notch, friendly and just great to talk to and get STRAIGHT answers. Along with being the cleanest work shop area I've ever seen. It looks like they just opened yesterday - and That's Impressive  
biggrin.gif

Back