Busa's first service

basscrazy

Donating Member
Registered
I got a letter from the dealership stating that my bike is scheduled for it's first service. I do not have 600 miles on it yet. The letter stated that the first service should be done at 600 miles or 2 months, which ever comes first.

Is this normal? What does the first service consist of? I was going to change the oil this weekend. Guess they will take care of this.

Thanxs

Ask rev. , they want to make money by having you come in. Do you do your own mech work?

I would do the service and get it entered into the books because a prospective buyer may be anal about these things.

No this is NOT normal. And yea, the first service is at 600 miles OR recommended by 6 months !!

Service includes:
Engine Oil
Engine Filter
Idle Speed checked
Throttle valve synchronization (inspect)
Throttle Cable play (check)
Drive Chain play (check)
Brakes (check)
Steering and Steering Head Bolts (Check)
Exhaust Pipe bolts and nuts (check and tighten)
Chassis bolts and nuts (check and tighten)

That's it !!
tounge.gif

Mine cost $75 Bucks Total, which put a
biggrin.gif
on my face
wink.gif

No this is NOT normal. And yea, the first service is at 600 miles OR recommended by 6 months !!

Service includes:
Engine Oil
Engine Filter
Idle Speed checked
Throttle valve synchronization (inspect)
Throttle Cable play (check)
Drive Chain play (check)
Brakes (check)
Steering and Steering Head Bolts (Check)
Exhaust Pipe bolts and nuts (check and tighten)
Chassis bolts and nuts (check and tighten)

That's it !!
tounge.gif

Mine cost $75 Bucks Total, which put a
biggrin.gif
on my face
wink.gif
$350 here at ECC, need less to say I did it myself. And I keep a service book.

Do it yourself and save the money, ping rubbersidedown, he was kind enough to post a free download of the manual....

We always have the first service done at the dealer. Let them check all the nuts and bolts and if anything is leaking.
Also I like the service plan they have, $1100 for 3 years and services are included. This also gives you really good deals on parts and accessories.

<!--EDIT|purplebusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149555522 -->

We always have the first service done at the dealer. Let them check all the nuts and bolts and if anything is leaking.
Also I like the service plan they have, $1100 for 3 years and services are included. This also gives you really good deals on parts and accessories.
Does that cover repair of the scratches, dents, loose/missing parts ect that most dealerships like to throw into the mix? Not to mention the tow jobs back to the dealership when they forget something important enough to strand you? One thing they can't cover is the peace of mind (or lack of it) as you pull away from the shop wondering what the hells gonna happen down the road......lol. Oh the days of having faith..................

My dealer matches internet prices on everything I inquire about and I didn't buy their service package or extended warranty. I do all my own service. If they want my business they'll work with me. I don't mind helping support their business but I'm not going to pay the outrageous prices they normally ask for.

Definitely do it yourself, save the money, no need to worry if they did what they were supposed to or not, you get to learn all about your Busa, plus it's fun
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't let any local dealer touch my bike - Period. I have a buddy who owns a Suzuki shop, and the few times I brought my bike in there for a little work to save me some time, I got nothing but headaches. My buddy said if something breaks, he has me covered which is nice. If my buddy did the work, I wouldn't have an issue, but he has to run the dealership and sell bikes...and has a hard time finding good tech's to work for the going rate around here in town. I support his business by purchasing bikes and a few parts from him, but as far as service - Not a chance.

My advice is support your local dealer by purchasing some parts from them to keep them in business. Make friends with the Lead tech, b.s. with him a little, ask for their input, and let him/ her know what you been doing to the bike. And if / when you have an issue, your a known person to that tech who will be calling Suzuki for a warranty claim...a little friendship goes a long way.

As stated above...I would NEVER let a dealership touch my bike! Unless you personally know who is doing the work, you'll get nothing but an oil and oil filter change, PERIOD. And to add insult to injury, your fairings will get all scratched up in the process. Buy and save your oil and oil filter receipts (in case of required warranty work sometime down the road) and do it yourself!
All you need to do is change the oil and filter, clean, lube and check your chain tension (you should be doing this on a regular basis anyway). Check all visible bolts and fasteners and tire pressure (again, this should be part of your weekly inspection routine) and you're good to go! I've been doing this since 1978 having owned 19 bikes in between and have NEVER had any problems, operational wise, with any of them!

I CALLED MY DEALER THE OTHER DAY TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR MY FIRST SERVICE. I WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE SCHEDULING TWO WEEKS OUT AND I WOULD HAVE TO LEAVE MY BIKE FOR A "FEW" DAYS SO THEY COULD GET TO IT!! I RUN THE SERVICE DEPT FOR AN AUTO DEALERSHIP, I CAN NOT IMAGINE THE LOSS OF BUSINESS I WOULD HAVE IF I TOLD CUSTOMERS THEY HAD TO LEAVE THEIR CAR FOR A "FEW" DAYS FOR AN OIL CHANGE. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I'M DOING THE SERVICE MYSELF. I WOULD HAVE LIKED THEM, TO DO THE FIRST SERVICE JUST TO HAVE EVERYTHING CHECKED OUT, BUT IT'S NOT LIKE I LIVE RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THEM AND CAN DROP THE BIKE OFF AND WALK HOME.

<!--EDIT|mynewbusa
Reason for Edit: "FORGOT"|1149610669 -->

I think everyone is missing the real important issue here. Basscrazy got to the 2 month mark before the 600 miles. I think you need to go see the shrink before the service manager LOL

I think everyone is missing the real important issue here. Basscrazy got to the 2 month mark before the 600 miles. I think you need to go see the shrink before the service manager LOL
Yea 450 mile in a month 1/2 is pretty bad. I go TDY again in 2 weeks back to Melbourne FL. I am going to check to see if I can bring my bike. It is hard being on the road without her.....

YES a letter from your Dealer at 2 months or so is Normal. Yes it's a basic Service and Oil change. YES the tech will go over your Bike and check and make certain nothing is outta whack.

If you have some sorta of melodramatic hatred of your dealership don't take it there, but if you do a lot of guess work and make a lot of assumptions when wrenching on machines the dealership might be your best option. It's important to have some sort of relationship with your dealer, be a familiar face, it will pay off if something goes wrong.

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself if your competant, but there have been A LOT of posts on the board over the last few years from folks who "Stripped This", Broke That, Scratched this... Yadda Yadda... Don't "Guess" with things on your bike, it's sure way to cause damage and maybe get yourself hurt.

There is also NOTHING wrong with having the dealership do your service. Check out the shop first, have a look around and be certain it's some place you WANT to have your bike worked on, then by all means have an actual Tech handle things and don't worry about all this Dealer, Stealer, haterism floating around. Establish your comfort zone and then work within it.

FWIW I do my own oil changes, Heli-bars, headlights etc. But when it comes to important things like brakes, etc? I let the pro's handle it.

Not everybody is mechanically inclined, if my brother lived closer I could learn a thing or two. I stop at an oil change for now.

YES a letter from your Dealer at 2 months or so is Normal.  Yes it's a basic Service and Oil change.  YES the tech will go over your Bike and check and make certain nothing is outta whack.

If you have some sorta of melodramatic hatred of your dealership don't take it there, but if you do a lot of guess work and make a lot of assumptions when wrenching on machines the dealership might be your best option.  It's important to have some sort of relationship with your dealer, be a familiar face, it will pay off if something goes wrong.

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself if your competant, but there have been A LOT of posts on the board over the last few years from folks who "Stripped This", Broke That, Scratched this...  Yadda Yadda...   Don't "Guess" with things on your bike, it's sure way to cause damage and maybe get yourself hurt.

There is also NOTHING wrong with having the dealership do your service.  Check out the shop first, have a look around and be certain it's some place you WANT to have your bike worked on, then by all means have an actual Tech handle things and don't worry about all this Dealer, Stealer, haterism floating around.  Establish your comfort zone and then work within it.

FWIW I do my own oil changes, Heli-bars, headlights etc.  But when it comes to important things like brakes, etc?  I let the pro's handle it.
Just curious Rev...do you still work at a dealership?....and if so what kinda service have you seen come outta it as far as damaging bikes, sloppy work ect?....not trying to bash your place at all, just would really like to believe the good work ethic is still alive and well in at least some parts of the country
wink.gif

YES a letter from your Dealer at 2 months or so is Normal. Yes it's a basic Service and Oil change. YES the tech will go over your Bike and check and make certain nothing is outta whack.

If you have some sorta of melodramatic hatred of your dealership don't take it there, but if you do a lot of guess work and make a lot of assumptions when wrenching on machines the dealership might be your best option. It's important to have some sort of relationship with your dealer, be a familiar face, it will pay off if something goes wrong.

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself if your competant, but there have been A LOT of posts on the board over the last few years from folks who "Stripped This", Broke That, Scratched this... Yadda Yadda... Don't "Guess" with things on your bike, it's sure way to cause damage and maybe get yourself hurt.

There is also NOTHING wrong with having the dealership do your service. Check out the shop first, have a look around and be certain it's some place you WANT to have your bike worked on, then by all means have an actual Tech handle things and don't worry about all this Dealer, Stealer, haterism floating around. Establish your comfort zone and then work within it.

FWIW I do my own oil changes, Heli-bars, headlights etc. But when it comes to important things like brakes, etc? I let the pro's handle it.
Just curious Rev...do you still work at a dealership?....and if so what kinda service have you seen come outta it as far as damaging bikes, sloppy work ect?....not trying to bash your place at all, just would really like to believe the good work ethic is still alive and well in at least some parts of the country
wink.gif
Fair Question Bro, deserves a fair answer.

I'll get back to yo uin the AM...

Short Version, Dealerships are a business, something or someone isn't cutting it, they are fired and or replaced. Simple.

wink.gif
Fair Question Bro, deserves a fair answer.

I'll get back to yo uin the AM...

Short Version, Dealerships are a business, something or someone isn't cutting it, they are fired and or replaced. Simple.

Back