First Day at the track!!

One more tip...
wink.gif

If you do go down/crash: BEFORE you ever even think about trying to get up...Stare at the grass in front of you, then try to reach out and pick a few blades of grass up. If you can grab the grass and look at it, then, and ONLY THEN can you get up.

If you try to stand up while sliding, you can start cartwheeling, or it may cause you to face-plant into the dirt.

I just tried to wave that I was okay to the corner worker as I was sliding across the track, but as soon as I raised my right hand, the drag on the leathers rolled me onto my right side (no more outrigger) before I went off into the mud/grass.

Good Luck
cool.gif

Dropped my old busa last year.  While sliding I remember trying to roll over on my side...didn't work out to well:p

Good advice, especially with the reach out and touch a blade of grass thing...I will actually remember that.

1 1/2 days!! Can't wait.:D
biggrin.gif

One last question.

Normally on the street I cruise at around 5000- 6000 RPM (Highway touring = lowest possible).

I am Planning on holding it at around 6000-7000 RPM on the track.  Am I hurting my engine, into too much power, too much engine braking, etc...

Were do you guys usually keep your RPM's on the street, and the track?

wrap it out. if you got oil it can take it. street is 2000 to around 7000ish for me, track you can REALLY stay up! 8000 and above mostly for my busa on the track. great fun! It's like a new bike

One more tip...  
wink.gif

If you do go down/crash:  BEFORE you ever even think about trying to get up...Stare at the grass in front of you, then try to reach out and pick a few blades of grass up.  If you can grab the grass and look at it, then, and ONLY THEN can you get up.

If you try to stand up while sliding, you can start cartwheeling, or it may cause you to face-plant into the dirt.
good advice.. in a ..

"Your already screwed,, lets not make this any worse than it hasta be" kinda way.. LOL

I'm sure when I wipe out at a track I'll be thinkin about the grass thing.. .lol

Seriously... I'll be done tumblin'/slidin and I'll laugh about this post... course then I'll be pissed that I crashed.. but hey.. a good chuckle is hard to come by sometimes.

Good advice, especially with the reach out and touch a blade of grass thing...I will actually remember that.

1 1/2 days!! Can't wait.:D
biggrin.gif

One last question.

Normally on the street I cruise at around 5000- 6000 RPM (Highway touring = lowest possible).

I am Planning on holding it at around 6000-7000 RPM on the track.  Am I hurting my engine, into too much power, too much engine braking, etc...

Were do you guys usually keep your RPM's on the street, and the track?
I doubt you'll remember it while you're sliding...I hope you do though.

I sure as hell didn't...and they had just told me that at the rider's meeting only 4 hours prior.
laugh.gif

RPM's...Keep 'em up there. I was shifting at about 10,500 on the Busa. Just try to shift smooth and not upset the steering due to jerky movements. I the turns, try to pick a gear that keeps you around 4-8K, this will give you a good drive on the exit. You really don't NEED to use 1st gear in any turn...2nd gear has plenty of torque, and isn't near as touchy as 1st.

I know this is a lot of info to try and absorb all at once, so just take it one step at a time. Don't overtask yourself mentally on the track. If you start getting frustrated, then slow down and regroup. Just think of all of these tips as tools in your toolbox. You don't have to use them all at once, but they'll be there if you need them.

Hope you have a great time...ride safe
cool.gif

I love doing track days. I'm a little jealous for you. On the tire pressre thing, I go with 31 up front and 29 in back. I also put a 180 on the back to help out with the turn in. I liked it an awful lot on the track. Still trying to decide how I like it on the street.

Don't worry too much about the 600s. They are there to learn just like you are. You might be surprised at how well you corner with them, especially if this is their first track day.

Drink a ton of water or gatorade. Throwing the busa around is a workout and you'll need to stay hydrated. Also, make sure you stretch. I found that out the hard way when I had difficulty getting out of bed the next day.

Biggest piece of advice is to relax. No death grip on the handle bars. Just have fun and be smooth.

Be safe and let us know how it goes. Oh, and if you hear your kickstand scraping, that is a bad thing.

When I went to the track day on my Katana 600 I got some great advice from the instructors.
#1. Only ride at about 80-90% of your ability because you give yourself that 10-20% to learn and you won't get tired as quickly because you will not be on the edge the entire time.
#2. Before the sesions start for the day, do a track walk and walk the lines you are wanting to run and start picking out markers for your braking points and exit points. The instructor actually brought sidewalk chalk and marked entry, apex, and exit points that we should aim for and it was amazing that I could actually see them at speed and how much they helped.
#3. Stay hydrated (water and gatorade). You loose a lot os fluids when riding on the track.
#4. Take some sugary and salty snacks along. I didn't have anythign with sugar when I went and I ended up with my blood sugar low at the end of the say and felt a little like crap.

Other than that have a lot of fun. And remember, there will be people that are way better and worse than you are so ride your own pace and have fun.

Also, if you can corner an instructor before the sessions begin maybe ask his advice for tire pressures and suspension adjustments that you should run because he will prolly have a better idea what the track condition is.

Back