First track day

hierog

Registered
I'll be attending my first track day ever (not just on the Busa, but first time EVER!!) next Saturday at Fernley in Reno and I have a few questions:

1) is there an easy way to drain the coolant

and

2) does anybody know which fuse to pull so the tail light and turn signals won't work?

I can always tape out the signals and tail light, so i'm not too worried about that, but i'm not sure about the coolant

I've never torn my busa down, so i'll be doing that this week while doing some prep. Putting on some new pilot powers and going over her thoroughly so we can look good out there!

I'm going to the ZoomZoom novice school, so it'll be a lot of fun with no pressure to go fast!

I've heard the new Fernley track has about 20 turns!!
eek2.gif

thanks again in advance for all the help - and if anybody has any pointers, please share!

vic

All your fuses are underneath the left hand panel that connects your fairing to tank and frame.
Turn signals and tail light will be taped over anyways.
most important one to pull is the headlight, it will melt the tape if you don't.
As for dropping coolant I just undo the lower hose off the radiator.
Here is me at NHIS last year.
I rode to the track that day and prepped in 40 minutes to make tech inspection.

IMG_0156.JPG

sweet, thanks! this group said I could either pull the fuse or tape the back lights. as for the headlight, they said it was okay to leave it untaped. don't know why

The tape is basically to keep the plastic covers in one piece if you do crash, it makes clean up easier.
Never heard of not taping the headlight and all other lens covers.
So if taping isn't required, just pull fuses.
I reccomend safety wiring the oil filter on also.
It is real easy to do with a large radiator hose clamp and some wire.
And with those new Pilots please scrub them in real good before getting to the track.
Have fun and take chances, the track is the safest place to go fast.:D

There is a connector in the tail that will allow you to easily stop the tail light, brake light and rear signals.

I have the front headlight on a toggle switch so no need to pull the plug, easy to undo...difficult to get back on.

You will have a great time on the track, the look of peoples faces when you roll a Busa to the grid.....

The fusebox for the front headlights are underneath the front left inner fairing cover. I usually pull the 2 10 amp fuses out. The rear brake is a harness connector in the tail section that you can pull and it disables the tail light. No need to disable the signals as you'll never (and should never reach for them anyways while riding track). For coolant, I use a mix of water/waterwetter. Tape down your headlights, signals, tail lights, remove license plate and tape wheel weights.

If you plan on doing track more often, you might wanna consider safety wiring the bolt heads.

I also remove my rearview mirrors as you'll never use those also.

i was told to use waterwetter too. i'll go by the shop and get some after i drain the coolant. didn't think about the licensce plate, but i'll remove that too.
what do i use to tape the wheel weights, duct tape?

i have a feeling i'm gonna love it. a buddy who has a track specific rc51 and a street rc51 has been buggin me for over a year to go out. he hardly rides on the street anymore - he says once i get on the track, i'll never go back! i'm getting pumped about getting out there!
biggrin.gif

Are you doing a zoom-zoom school/track day? If so they're site has a complete tech inspec list. Where in Kali are you?

Taping lights, reflectors, and mirrors is also about clean-up after crashing. You're probably still going to have to tape them even if the fuses are pulled.

Don't forget to check your brakes, you'll definately be using them on the track.

$3500 advice...check your oil.
I just tape the brake light, I don't unplug it.
Remove mirrors, tape lights, turn signals, (who has reflectors?), make sure the chain is not too tight or loose, remove the front light fuse.  
Ask an instructor about tire pressures for the temperature of the track that day.
Is it required to change the coolant? I go with the stock coolant. It doesn't run hot.

<!--EDIT|Big O
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144044760 -->

Most clubs require water or waterwetter.

Stock coolant takes all day to clean up if you crash.

what do i use to tape the wheel weights, duct tape?

i
Use painters tape if you DONT WANT that sticky residue that duct tape leaves behind. I've only seen them in blue but I want one in black.

Enjoy the track experience. I GUARANTEE YOU'LL BE HOOKED!! It's nothing like the street and much safer to push the envelope. Bring lots of extra fuel. You'll need that too.

EDIT: Use painters for the plastics like headlights, tail lights, signals, speedo (if required) etc...

But you can use Duct tape (I recommend it) for the wheel weights. It's easier to clean the residue off the wheels and duct tape holds the weights down stronger than painters tape (which will end up flying right off if not applied nicely).

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144092275 -->

i did check the ZZ site and everything you guys have said to do is what the require, even the water wetter. i'm going to go over the bike on wed to make sure everything is good and pull the fuse for the front light
BTW, I'm in Galt - about 10 min south of Elk Grove
gonna go out and get my pilot powers tomorrow and take them up with me - apparently they will mount and balance the tires for me for free, and even scrub them in if i'm a'scared to do it myself!

This is off topic a bit, I have wanted to try this for a long time and don't know what to expect. I don't want to feel like a moron or feel i'M HOLDING ANYONE UP. I ride the street and a lot of dragracing but want to start hitting the corners. Is there time they let complete idiots on the track? Don't get me wrong, I can ride, just never in thet type of setting. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I also live in NY, Where is the closest place to do this in NY? Sorry for the off topic comment...Just had to ask.

This is off topic a bit, I have wanted to try this for a long time and don't know what to expect.  I don't want to feel like a moron or feel i'M HOLDING ANYONE UP. I ride the street and a lot of dragracing but want to start hitting the corners.  Is there time they let complete idiots on the track?  Don't get me wrong, I can ride, just never in thet type of setting.  It looks like a hell of a lot of fun.  I also live in NY, Where is the closest place to do this in NY?  Sorry for the off topic comment...Just had to ask.
Check and see if someone offers a Novice School in your area
wink.gif

yeah, take the novice school! they only let novice riders on the track at that time. i didn't want to feel pushed by anybody eithere

Yeah, find a track and take a novice class.
The good part about going to the track is that you don't have to worry about holding someone up, just ride your ride.

$3500 advice...check your oil.
I just tape the brake light, I don't unplug it.
Remove mirrors, tape lights, turn signals, (who has reflectors?), make sure the chain is not too tight or loose, remove the front light fuse.  
Ask an instructor about tire pressures for the temperature of the track that day.
Is it required to change the coolant?  I go with the stock coolant.  It doesn't run hot.
Make sure that you check your oil
wow.gif

Maybe it's a silly question, but if i don't ask. i'll never learn!    
So..  why wheel weights must be taped??    
blush.gif

Back