Anyone that has done a track day.

TTV, not all the associations split the middle group into A and B. Some just have (Hallet equivalent) A (Race), B (Street), and C (Novice) groups.

Not true Dennis....

Race class is Race class

Street A is more advanced
Street B is intermediate

Novice - Hart = C

They have two street classes because of the number of riders and they broke it out so you could choose what level you wanted to ride, street A and B are not the same level riders...

It is my understanding that State Farm will cover the bike if it is not a competition. They look at it like it is training, which I think it is 100%

You would think you could argue it's training and makes you safer and less likely to crash on street and they should either fund it or reduce your premiums :)

Good to know Doug, I will be in the slower street group. Just taking my lines, taking my time, and scraping my puck. :laugh:

Not true Dennis....

Race class is Race class

Street A is more advanced
Street B is intermediate

Novice - Hart = C

They have two street classes because of the number of riders and they broke it out so you could choose what level you wanted to ride, street A and B are not the same level riders...

I wasn't specifically referring to Hallet with the A, B, C classes, just trying to bridge the gap for TTV between what Hallett does and what other organizations do since TTV has only been to Hallett and the OP was refrerring to another organization using A, B, and C groups. For example: Apex runs A, B, and C groups. SBTT runs Advanced, Intermediate, and Novice groups. As you pointed out, Hallet runs 4 groups, Race, Street A, Street B, Novice.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that State Farm will cover the bike if it is not a competition. They look at it like it is training, which I think it is 100%

You may want to check on that. I heard that they stopped covering Track Days last year.

It's entirely up to the track provider to get you into the proper group for your level of riding. If you have a race license, you are automatically placed in the advanced group.

Street riders with the lights taped up is a different story. The control riders are out there to keep the out of control riders in control and spot crashes before they occur. Your safety is their job.I move people around on every track day. Move faster riders up from novice who sign up in that group so they can be at the top of the heap or move riders from Intermediate back to novice because they are not yet ready for I group. I'll also move the rare guy with tape up to the Advanced group but that's not very often. Most guys with headlights don't belong in the advanced group but there are exceptions. I've never moved a busa or ZX14 up to advanced. The only busa I've ever seen in the advanced group was our very own GregBob. And not even GregBob can hang with the average racer and gets passed by all but the odd novice racer.

Unless you can wring your busa's neck, you don't belong with the race crew.

This is how you know if you are ready to move up to the next group "When you never get passed for two consecutive track days, you are most likely ready to move up"!

If you never get passed on three consecutive track days in a row in the advanced group you are most likely ready for the pro curcuit! :beerchug:

I run A group & have for a few years. The Instructors typically will evaluate a rider & if they see you are substantially faster than others, will bump you if you want.

Great opportunity to follow the really fast guys. Try keeping up with Ty Howard for a while.

If you have never run in an A group be prepared for a very humbling experience. Closes passes & an occasional rub to make it interesting. I have a 600RR for the track, Busa stays home.

I plan on my first track day in about 10 days. I'm looking for the skateboard group. Then I might be able to keep up.

Great information Guys...I have done a few track days on the Busa and I thought I could hang in the "a" class (actually it was the only thing available) Quickly I got myself out....back into "I" ...stay within your limits it makes a more fun track experience.

I plan on my first track day in about 10 days. I'm looking for the skateboard group. Then I might be able to keep up.

Rick is your other half going to go watch? Kristie is coming with me...

I'll be right there with you! (Hallett will be my 2nd track day and in the skateboard group)

And not even GregBob can hang with the average racer and gets passed by all but the odd novice racer.

Does this statement apply only when Greg is on his busa? lol, because from my limited expierience Greg on his GSXR is probably faster than about 75% of the novices....when he's running street tires!

comming to AF track day on 10 Sep?

Does this statement apply only when Greg is on his busa? lol, because from my limited expierience Greg on his GSXR is probably faster than about 75% of the novices....when he's running street tires!

You best be there too! :rulez:

Are you signed up to come to Sully's event in Spokane Sept 30 - Oct 1? That's the last HooRaa of the season up here so Be There or Be Square!

My point was it's extremely rare a busa belongs in the A group. There are exceptions but they are extremely Rare.

You best be there too! :rulez:

Are you signed up to come to Sully's event in Spokane Sept 30 - Oct 1? That's the last HooRaa of the season up here so Be There or Be Square!

My point was it's extremely rare a busa belongs in the A group. There are exceptions but they are extremely Rare.

Also, I'll be at the 2_Fast event on Sept 9, would be good to make that one first then move on up to PR for AF track day. You could stay at my place over night between days.

I just called State Farm. As long as there is no money involved and it is just a "for fun" track day. I'm covered. So yes as long as its not a "race".

I'll be going Oct 23rd & 24th to Barbers with LA Busa and hopefully a couple of other friends. I plan on Novice day one, Intermediate day two.

I ride with TeamPromotion (East Coast), and the coaches pretty much determine your group based on your skill/speed/consistency, and you cannot jump the group unless approved by the coaches who will observe you for a couple of sessions.
I like TeamPromotion the best. I think Nesba and Absolute track days throw way too many people out on the track at once, honestly.

And in the NJ area guys, the way it works is... no matter what, you start out in the beginner class and then CR's will bump you up if they notice you doing extremely well.

I think it's important to recognize that track days can differ dramatically from track to track, company to company, the composition of an A group on May 27th vrs. May 29th (who shows up), early day sessions vrs end of day sessions......there's a lot of variables. For sure if this thread accomplishes anything, I hope it convinces the hundreds of "I wanna do a track day but it's too intimidating and I'm not a good enough rider" people to realize what an incredible growth experience it is! I've seen Gold Wings, ST1300's and the like have the time of their life in the C sessions.
I've never run into a track official anywhere that wasn't willing to help with confidence building and good advice for the newbie.
Remember, humility is a strength! This is a perfect time for my favorite saying, "One man's ceiling is another man's floor".
Doyle

RF raceway 018.jpg

I just called State Farm. As long as there is no money involved and it is just a "for fun" track day. I'm covered. So yes as long as its not a "race".

I'll be going Oct 23rd & 24th to Barbers with LA Busa and hopefully a couple of other friends. I plan on Novice day one, Intermediate day two.

That is very nice to know as I have SF , thanks !

Back