Anyone that has done a track day.

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
I wanted to do this post when the house was quiet but, oh well (both my teenage daughters have about 8 girlfriends over now having a bar-b-q and it's crazy).
Anyways, I've done quite a few track days at Willow Springs (both Streets of and big track), Thunderhill, Reno/Fernley, Laguna Seca and Infinion. My question is.......what is the criteria you use to determine if you are A, hi B, lo B or a C rider?
I have riden in A's (including with a Hayabusa) and sometimes am right in with the "pack", other times I may be #5 of 5 riders! I've also riden in B and been passed by a very fast racebike.
Also, I've gone to a track day with a friend that has never done a track day before and was surprised at how fast and intense the C session was.
Just wondering what thoughts come up when the safety tech or the person taking your reservation for a track day asks, "A, B or C?"
Raydog

P1020653.JPG

P1020662.JPG

Last edited:
The problem Doyle is that not everyone follows the guidelines that are out there... At Hallett you are supposed to meet certain lap times to be able to go to a higher class. Sometimes (more often than not) there are guys that could be easily riding in the A group but refuse to move up because they want to be the fastest in the class. Those folks cause problems because they run 100% and then you have the bottom of the class who is a lot slower so you have a wide difference in the group.....

I tend to pick the slower group because

A. I am slow.
B. The percentage of guys riding really hard are in the higher classes.

I think the Race class at Hallett is the only one that you actually have to prove you can ride in that class....

CAp

Even when I Spank the Twisties I am a C Rider at Best.................Humility is an Awesome thing. Keeps me Safe :rulez:

The problem Doyle is that not everyone follows the guidelines that are out there... At Hallett you are supposed to meet certain lap times to be able to go to a higher class. Sometimes (more often than not) there are guys that could be easily riding in the A group but refuse to move up because they want to be the fastest in the class. Those folks cause problems because they run 100% and then you have the bottom of the class who is a lot slower so you have a wide difference in the group.....

I tend to pick the slower group because

A. I am slow.
B. The percentage of guys riding really hard are in the higher classes.

I think the Race class at Hallett is the only one that you actually have to prove you can ride in that class....

CAp

I think you summarize it pretty well Doug. My best track days are when I start out in C and end up in B or A halfway through the day....and when there are no ultra fast clusters of racers traveling at supersonic speeds that pass you on both sides at the same time!
Doyle

Cool post! Hats off to you sir for running the busa in an "A" group. Even a slow "A" group is quite a workout for a busa I imagine. I've never taken mine to the track because I only track what I'm willing to wad up and throw away and the busa is to darn pretty to gamble with.

Right now...when I'm asked what group to go into and I'm not sure where I belong, I'll pick intermidiate. I would even consider "C" group if there are no control riders to follow. I like to turn the intesity up session by session as opposed to just hitting it hard right away. Once/if I get to the point where I can't get a good lap off because of all the rolling roadblocks I'll move up. Riding with slower guys isn't so bad as long as they're consistant in there decision making, if they run tight lines thats a bonus. Good place to work on passing too.

I wish all track day orgs seperated groups by lap times, would make picking groups much easier. I'm starting to get fast enough to go into the "A" group but I don't realy like saying I'm an "Advanced" level rider. I haven't been doing this long enough to claim that lol.

Cool post! Hats off to you sir for running the busa in an "A" group. Even a slow "A" group is quite a workout for a busa I imagine. I've never taken mine to the track because I only track what I'm willing to wad up and throw away and the busa is to darn pretty to gamble with.

Right now...when I'm asked what group to go into and I'm not sure where I belong, I'll pick intermidiate. I would even consider "C" group if there are no control riders to follow. I like to turn the intesity up session by session as opposed to just hitting it hard right away. Once/if I get to the point where I can't get a good lap off because of all the rolling roadblocks I'll move up. Riding with slower guys isn't so bad as long as they're consistant in there decision making, if they run tight lines thats a bonus. Good place to work on passing too.

I wish all track day orgs seperated groups by lap times, would make picking groups much easier. I'm starting to get fast enough to go into the "A" group but I don't realy like saying I'm an "Advanced" level rider. I haven't been doing this long enough to claim that lol.

I love your explanation and reasoning! The only thing where I differ is running the Busa on the track. I've actually had guys follow me off the track after the session cause they couldn't believe they were sparring with a Hayabusa! That's part of the fun for me. Doyle

I register in the B group. Some track day's I'll bump up to A, some I'll bump down to C. It depends on whether I'm overtaking with a big speed differential, mostly with the pack, or being overtaken by a big speed differential.

I run a lot of track days here in Ontario on my 600RR. We don't have the same designations but I get the idea. I usually sign up for the slower of the bunch as it gives me time to practice and I never feel pushed. The 'A' group are a bunch of go getters out to prove something, which is OK, but it's not for me. I need the practice to be smooth, and fast, and smooth again. I went to a 'Go Fast' school a few times to really learn how to ride and learned ever so much from the instructors. I recommend track time to anyone who loves the sport. Good luck on the Busa - I want to try that one day.

I wanna do some track days but I don't think I want to take the busa out, at least not yet (She's way too pretty:thumbsup:). I've been looking at different bikes for the track and I think I want an RC51, good cornering, vtwin, and I've seen a few deals on some in the area. I'd be starting out in the beginners class of course, but there's no rush. I think the tracks in the area work on a combo of experience and different prices per level.

Hmmmmmm.........if I were you Doyle, I'd sign up and stay in group B UNTIL you're able to pass and stay ahead of a certain 2001 silver/blue hayabusa that is sometimes sporting Givi hard bags at the track!! :laugh:

I personally feel safer if I am faster than others in the group. So, I would go with a slower group if you have a choice.

I ride with TeamPromotion (East Coast), and the coaches pretty much determine your group based on your skill/speed/consistency, and you cannot jump the group unless approved by the coaches who will observe you for a couple of sessions.

Having said that, I used to be in the beginner group at a certain track (Pocono for those who know) - only because that was the only track close by at the time, and I got used to the track and got reasonably fast/comfortable and even without my knowledge got bumped into the intermediate group, and was riding in the group for some time.

I did lose some confidence over a period of time, and on top of that started riding at the newly built track (NJMP for those who know), and on the first day in intermediate group I was so slow that after a couple of sessions I was moved to the beginner group. Being a pretty conservative rider, I am slowly regaining confidence, but i don't really care what group. Honestly, I'd rather be the fastest in the beginner group than the slowest in intermediate.

I concur with you that I also noticed that the beginner group used to be a lot slower years back, and now I am being passed left and right like it used to be in intermediate group. I also suspect that whatever the reason for that is, this also might be a reason that I observe a tremendous increase in crashes in today's track days as opposed to years back when a crash was pretty rare occurance.

Last edited:
I would love to do a track day here just to enjoy some turns.
If I ever did of course due to lack of recent experience I would be in the 'S' class for Slow !
But I would want to do it on my Busa as it is the bike I ride on the street and want to be better on it.
Also would want to be in the slow or C class because I would want to go and have fun not really pushing myself to go faster and faster and I think if I got caught up in besting my last lap time I may push it too far and crash .
At that point I would be embarrassed cuz everybody would see me :cry:ing

:)

Pretty sure I already know the answer but will insurance cover a crash during a track day since it's not really a race or is it because your on a racetrack you'd be scroooooood ?

Pretty sure I already know the answer but will insurance cover a crash during a track day since it's not really a race or is it because your on a racetrack you'd be scroooooood ?

depends on your insurer. most will not cover a crash during a track day.

Well I am confused. I recently registered for Street B group at Hallett and I hope its the slower of the Street classes.

TTV, not all the associations split the middle group into A and B. Some just have (Hallet equivalent) A (Race), B (Street), and C (Novice) groups.

depends on your insurer. most will not cover a crash during a track day.

It is my understanding that State Farm will cover the bike if it is not a competition. They look at it like it is training, which I think it is 100%

Back