First track day was a blast!!

herooo

Donating Member
Registered
Well my first time on the track (track school) was a blast!!  Spend the money and do it!

I can't believe how much faster we were going by the end of the day vrs. the beginning. Today I rubbed the chicken strips right off my tires for the first time, and tommorow I plan on running off another $200.00 worth of rubber.  LOL

Every time my group went out today at least one bike went down.  Nobody got hurt, but a few dusted up bikes.

I didn't drop it, but did run off the track once.  Not really sure why I didn't go down, just got lucky.  Full stories and pics to follow (as promised).

Anyways...

I really need some help with the suspension settings before tommorow morning!
1zhelp.gif

My front end is all over the place. It feels really "squishy"and soft. Had a few of the regulars look at it, but they are all into the 600's and not much experience with the busa.

They pretty much told me about it being a big bike, heavy and long, slow to turn in and the fact that it is a really technical track.  Lots of elevation change, and tight turns.  One of the instructors that was tailing me said the bike was looking  loose.

I'm running on a good set of Pilot Powers, I wiegh 210, and front PSI was set at 33.5 lbs with the back at 31.  It was a nice warm day, but not hot.  The track is older and kinda bumpy / washboardy...

We (they) played with the damping, compression, and preload settings for a bit, but I'm at the point now where I've lost my baseline to work from, and it's still a mess.

Also I'm not really sure how ( which way) to turn the compression adjustments.  The manual is a bit confusing as to whether I should be turning back out X turns from full in, or in X turns from full out, etc.  

The rear end feels good,  though I would certianly appreciate some input on that too.

Can anybody reccomend a good suspension baseline, and an explanation of how to count the turns on the compression setting?

a friend sent this to me a while back....I never read it.....give it a looksy!

Susp Setup linky

Hope this helps a bit.

<!--EDIT|Devil Dog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124583400 -->

P.S. I'll be checking in on this post every 15 mins, so if you have any questions / need more info I'll get back to you ASAP.

THANKS!!

<!--EDIT|herooo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124583387 -->

Thanks Devil Dog. That was a good read. Picked up a better understanding of how and why it all works.

Still looking for a good baseline to start with tommorow though, and I still don't understand how the 'busa's compression dial's are read.???

I don't know suspensions either. I took it to my mechanic and told him to use the "Sport Rider" mag settings:

http://sportrider.com/bikes/146_susp_settings/#suzuki

and he also setup the SAG on the rear with me on the bike.

I've learned how to outride those settings now, and since I STILL don't know anything, at my last track day I simply tightened everything down 3-4 more clicks and it felt so much better! That's not the right way to do it I know but it helped alot. no dive into corners or launched up on exits.

Look for Jinksters Suspension post somewhere on here. I've heard it's GREAT for Hayabusa suspension noobs like me.
smile.gif

How was your nervousness? Subside after first lap and replace with new type of joy? Glad you didn't dump yoru bike. There's really no need to unless you ride past your limit or think passing everyone is the only fun. Sounds like you keep a pretty level head if everyone else was going off. I went off once on my busa at about 35-40 into mud, dirt, grass - i remember thinking, "Well this is it. I'm gonna bend up my bike, but it's low speed so I will be fine..." the tank drove through and I kept control, slowed down and looked at the corner watcher - he shrugged and waved me back onto the track!
smile.gif
I checked my 6 and got back on going slow for a lap to loose the mud, dirt and grass. Life on teh track I guess.

Now lets so those pics!!!
biggrin.gif

I forgot: busa suspension is labeled S <-> H for softer and harder, so you can play with stuff. And the factory settings are listed in the manual. count your clicks, even them out, write them down if you can. good luck!

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124586047 -->

smile.gif

Harden up ur compression damping on the front. that should make it not as "SQUISHY". and after your trackday look into having your fork springs replaced with ones that are sprung for your weight.

herooo...It may be too late, and you're already in bed, but here's some settings that JINKSTER gave to me for my Busa, and they worked pretty well. I only weight 175, so the front end may be a little soft for your weight.

NOTE: When you make the following adjustments, write down how many clicks you have to turn in each adjuster so that you can put the settings back to normal if you want.

First: (Front Forks)
<ul>
[*]Turn BOTH the compression adjustment (lower rear side of fork end casting), and the rebound adjustment (little screw on top of the spring preload adjuster on top of the fork tube) all the way in until the stop. DON'T crank down on them, just lightly seat.
[*]Turn the Rebound 4 clicks out.
[*]Turn the Compression 2 clicks out.
[*]With a socket, extension, and ratchet: Turn the fork spring preload ajuster all the way out. This is the hex nut on top of the fork tube.
[*]Position the ratchet handle so that you can count the turns as you make the adjustment.
[*]Turn the spring preload adjuster IN 9 turns. This would have only 1 line showing, but it's hard to see down in the hole.
[/list]

Senond: (Rear Shock)
<ul>
[*]Turn the Rebound screw (Bottom screw), and the Compression screw (Top screw) all the way in.
[*]Turn the Rebound 11 clicks out.
[*]Turn the Compression 8 clicks out.
[*]On the rear shock, you will see a spring with two star nuts on top. These are for adjusting the spring preload. The top one is a locknut for the actual adjustment star nut. You will need either a spanner wrench, or a hammer and punch will work fine.
[*]Loosen the top star nut (lock nut).
[*]Mark the lower star nut with a marker so you can count the turns as you adjust it.
[*]Tighten the lower star nut to add more tension (preload) on the spring. Two full revolutions should be fine.
[*]<span style='color:red'>TIGHTEN the upper star nut to lock in the adjustment.</span>
[/list]

The stiffer suspension will be a bit touchy and unforgiving to excessive throttle-on when coming out of a corner.

If it seems touchy and unforgiving, then soften up the rear by reducing the rear shock spring preload...If it feels vague or wallowy with a lack of feedback, then add some more preload to the rear shock.

When I set mine up like this, it made a world of difference in how it handled.

Print this out and take it to the track with you. You could always do the setup change during a break, or lunch.

Thanks to JINKSTER for the above setup
cool.gif

Good Luck Herooo
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124605596 -->

Got your PM...Good to hear the JINKSTER settings worked.
cool.gif

I'll wait for the new post before I give away how your second day went
wink.gif

Pics and details coming soon, ....I promised  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|herooo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124757507 -->

No problem...If you're like me after two days at the track...you're completely wiped out.

Get some rest
wink.gif

Still waiting for the pics and some time to post....I know your all waiting with baited breath so rest assured I'm on it.
laugh.gif

Back