Finally Went And Did It. After 15 Years Of Owning A Busa...

Seriously, I'm definitely warming up to the Gen 3. I have an appointment with the Suzuki dealer to see what he will give me for my Gen2. Not serious yet but I was curious!
I would have to say if I was in your shoes I'd be looking at keeping your gen 2 and replace the BMW with a gen 3 but I know they aren't no where near the same. But knowing what u put into your busa if it was me I don't think I could let it go. If covid hadn't put me in the shape it did financially and have me to the point I'm just waiting to file bankruptcy when all the creditors come after me id definitely be looking at getting a gen 3 but I don't think that'll happen till they come out with the gen 4 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well I was really just interested in what they would offer to get me in a Gen 3. I have purchased 3 bikes from them and I would like to know some real values. I'm still not a believer in Euro 5 powerplants. We'll see. I have been debating whether or not to finish the Busa.

The BMW 1250 GS is the best bike I have ever owned and it's actually more fun to ride than the busa. Turns out the occasional off-road trek is much more fun than a blast to 170. It's even quite fast.

Well I was really just interested in what they would offer to get me in a Gen 3. I have purchased 3 bikes from them and I would like to know some real values. I'm still not a believer in Euro 5 powerplants. We'll see. I have been debating whether or not to finish the Busa.

The BMW 1250 GS is the best bike I have ever owned and it's actually more fun to ride than the busa. Turns out the occasional off-road trek is much more fun than a blast to 170. It's even quite fast.

What is the HP and weight on the BMW?

What is the HP and weight on the BMW?
You can't compare it to the Busa. It's putting around 135 hp out and I think that's at the crank. However, with 105 lb/ft of torque, the bike never lacks thrust. Weight is 591 with saddlebags. The secret is how this bike carries its weight, which is super low due to the boxer engine. This makes the bike super quick to turn or right itself from a lean. BMW made the steering a bit slow as far as geometry, so you get a bike that turns effortlessly but is rock-solid stable. Combine that with the double-wishbone front end, no chain, and really amazing electronics and you have a very fun cockpit to be in. You would absolutely love it with all those amazing roads in your area.

A friend of mine used to have a mid 60s R600 Boxer. Beautiful black with white pinstriping. The jacking motion in on/off throttle applications were fun and terrible at the same time. Leaned over very easy though. Was fun riding it when we traded bikes for a day when I had a CB 750 bored to 852, piped and jetted. Great bikes both. He wishes he still had his and the same goes for me.

A friend of mine used to have a mid 60s R600 Boxer. Beautiful black with white pinstriping. The jacking motion in on/off throttle applications were fun and terrible at the same time. Leaned over very easy though. Was fun riding it when we traded bikes for a day when I had a CB 750 bored to 852, piped and jetted. Great bikes both. He wishes he still had his and the same goes for me.
The current iteration of the boxer is a pretty sophisticated ride. Very well mannered except at stoplights where you can literally feel those paint can-sized pistons bobbing from side to side lol. This bike has loads of personality and frankly, you find yourself unsure you are giggling with it or at it. There is a good reason it is the world's most popular bike.

Like the Busa, the GS has owned its class for 20+ years. Also, like the Busa change comes slowly to the bike and a 5 to 8-year-old Bike loses little to the current version for the most part. There are a lot of players now in the adventure market but this one is fundamentally better due to the odd engine and hausack (misspelled?) front suspension.

BMW has laid some eggs, like the K1600 I had, but the GS/GSA and S1000RR are as good as it gets. In fact, one would have to look past an S1000RR to even consider a new Busa, and as much as I am warming up to the Gen 3 it's just no S1000RR. Most of the bad feelings they have collected through the years are haters, these are fantastic motorcycles. The "but" is yes, they are not the cheapest bikes to own and maintain.

So yeah Wuzza, I'm doing a sales pitch on you. Because you will absolutely love this bike and with the rides you have access to you will be posting some amazing photos in no time.

Hi. As far as I see it, it is just a de- smoged Gen 2 motor and moved the HP down in the rev range What they did to the motor to up-grad it I am sure you can get better parts from the after market. I am sure they did not use a $3,000.00 or $1,400.00 rods in it.
We'll see. There are a lot of significant changes to the motor. I hear a lot is made of the oil system improvements but that was called for by oil limitations imposed by Euro 5. The motor seems like a ho-hum iteration, but we'll see what the magicians can do with it.

The current iteration of the boxer is a pretty sophisticated ride. Very well mannered except at stoplights where you can literally feel those paint can-sized pistons bobbing from side to side lol. This bike has loads of personality and frankly, you find yourself unsure you are giggling with it or at it. There is a good reason it is the world's most popular bike.

Like the Busa, the GS has owned its class for 20+ years. Also, like the Busa change comes slowly to the bike and a 5 to 8-year-old Bike loses little to the current version for the most part. There are a lot of players now in the adventure market but this one is fundamentally better due to the odd engine and hausack (misspelled?) front suspension.

BMW has laid some eggs, like the K1600 I had, but the GS/GSA and S1000RR are as good as it gets. In fact, one would have to look past an S1000RR to even consider a new Busa, and as much as I am warming up to the Gen 3 it's just no S1000RR. Most of the bad feelings they have collected through the years are haters, these are fantastic motorcycles. The "but" is yes, they are not the cheapest bikes to own and maintain.

So yeah Wuzza, I'm doing a sales pitch on you. Because you will absolutely love this bike and with the rides you have access to you will be posting some amazing photos in no time.
Throw the RT and R1200S into that mix too...

My brother has 2 RTs, a '78 and a '96 and he loves both of them...the '78 started the sport tour segment, it came with Brembos and would go forever...and ever. His has over 500,000 miles on it and still runs like a top.

I ALMOST bought an Boxer Cup Replica R1200S....it was a pretty sexy machine but the owner instantly had seller's remorse when I went to look at it and he took it off the market right there and then...

The S1000RR is the bike to beat these days.

Throw the RT and R1200S into that mix too...

My brother has 2 RTs, a '78 and a '96 and he loves both of them...the '78 started the sport tour segment, it came with Brembos and would go forever...and ever. His has over 500,000 miles on it and still runs like a top.

I ALMOST bought an Boxer Cup Replica R1200S....it was a pretty sexy machine but the owner instantly had seller's remorse when I went to look at it and he took it off the market right there and then...

The S1000RR is the bike to beat these days.
Yes the RT is a really good bike and it beats the K1600 in every way IMHO. It's a bit of a sleeper because it doesn't do any one thing better than the rest. But it does everything really well, which is a rare bike indeed.

Yes the RT is a really good bike and it beats the K1600 in every way IMHO. It's a bit of a sleeper because it doesn't do any one thing better than the rest. But it does everything really well, which is a rare bike indeed.
I was amazed by his '96, it would get up to speed quickly and deceptively...it's a little more maintenance heavy than his old bike but makes up for it when out on the hiway...it just eats the miles up like candy.

He took the '78 in a 'Hare's Scramble" race once and won against people on KLRs and the like...and all that with the saddle bags on...one of the safety markers is a friend of ours and he said he couldn't believe his eyes when he saw my brother's RT come barreling over a hill back in the woods....

200.gif

Back