Filling the gas tank while on the bike

Never had a fire, but now I'm worried. I usually pull up, pay at the pump, grab pump, summon 4 station attendants to lift and invert the bike so that I can fill the tank from below to avoid spilling any gas on the tank. For some reason, I only seem to get about twenty miles to a tank. :( Could it be that I'm sparking a fire with a flame too hot to see that's burning off all the fuel or do I really only get aroun 4 mpg?

PS: Why is there always a huge puddle at the pump after I leave after filling up?

PSS: Stunters usually fill up while performing wheelies and stoppies while sitting on the bars. Lot's of dented tanks and pulles pump hoses, but no fires...so far. ;)

The worst part about sitting on your bike is that IF something were to happen, you are stuck on the bike. Second worse part? Have you ever spilled Gasoline on your crotch?? :banghead:

Yes! and that's why I stand:argue:1

kid-dog.jpg

That is the GREATEST picture EVER !!! :bowdown:

I always sit on the bike so I can get as much gas into the tank as possible. Also I never put the nozzle into the tank. I compress the plastic sleeve on the nozzle and watch as the tank fills up.

I guess I should count myself as one lucky guy since in all the years I've never had a fire. :laugh:

In the future I'll think about carrying around a copper grounding strap prior to fill ups.

Hmmm I have a question. what is the deal with said sleeve? I have only seen them in the North East and Far West. In Florida we aint got no stinkin sleeves :)

What is the deal with it?

Hmmm I have a question. what is the deal with said sleeve? I have only seen them in the North East and Far West. In Florida we aint got no stinkin sleeves :)

So the little prissies don't get gas on their hands when it back splashes!

Or maybe a more technical reason, but I'm sticking with the Prissy idea! :laugh:

Vapor recovery. It's supposed to prevent gas fumes from escaping into the atmosphere. Probably does a decent job, but it's a TOTAL pain for filling up a bike. They have them in Cali as well.

I'm not seeing it. As stated no matter what you are going to be grounded if you sit on it either by legs, feet and holding the handle. Someone call myth busters.

sent from G2 via tapatalk.

To Clarify: You are not grounded through the bike itself, or your feet. Shoe soles and tires are both insulators, which means they cant provide the electrical conductivity required for grounding oneself.

Luckily, I have a solution:

:rulez:
1.) Pull up to Pump

2.) Remove one shoe and one sock

3.) Place bare foot on Ground

4.) Fill tank

5.) Leave

6.) Go back for shoe and sock:laugh:

Don't forget step 6, it gets awkward. On an unrelated note, Is anyone in the market for 3 size ten left-foot boots?:whistle:

Yes, at age 17 while sitting on and refueling my 1972 CB175. That was the last time I ever sat on a motorcycle while refueling.

Me too. In fact, I don't think I've ever done it any other way.

Yes! and that's why I stand:argue:1

To Clarify: You are not grounded through the bike itself, or your feet. Shoe soles and tires are both insulators, which means they cant provide the electrical conductivity required for grounding oneself.

Luckily, I have a solution:

:rulez:
1.) Pull up to Pump

2.) Remove one shoe and one sock

3.) Place bare foot on Ground

4.) Fill tank

5.) Leave

6.) Go back for shoe and sock:laugh:

Don't forget step 6, it gets awkward. On an unrelated note, Is anyone in the market for 3 size ten left-foot boots?:whistle:

UNrelated, eh? :rofl:

Back