Good reason why you should fill up from stations with multiple hoses

I always pump the first gallon onto the ground or in the garbage can anyway, gets me closer to a free slushy.

Wow never thought of that. I also only use 100% gas now. There are 2 stations close by that still have it. Not sure if using ethonol blend would hurt but I know its not helping....:laugh:

The manual for my 2012 calls for 91 octane non-ethanol. I found a station near me that has 90 octane non-ethanol. It's the only fuel through that hose.

You gotta do what you gotta do on the road, but around home you can by cans of drink for the baby :whistle:

on a side note, a little trick i learned...

when you go to fill up, open your tank, pull the trigger, release the built up line pressure...

then let go of the trigger.... hit the selector, and quickly go back to the trigger and open it back up...

the gas pump will prime first, and give you an extra splash of a go juice for free!!! normally that is just used to build up line pressure!

hhaahah, hey on a bike thats like 20 miles !!

my dad actually tells me stories of back when he was younger, he would go to gas stations and just fill his bike up by emptying the lines into his tank from left overs... haha

i actually paid attention to this once, and if you watch the color of the gas, ethanol blends at my stations generally are a bit yellower than premium i have noticed, and you can tell exactly when it changes over....

just about .25 - .5 a gallon usually...

if you really care, some quick math will tell you what the person filled up with on the pump before you...

I'm going to raise the BullShid flag on this one. Ah yeah cause all the gas stations are in the habit of giving gas away...:whistle:

More and more gas stations are going to a single hose with a selector for the grade.
Have you ever wondered that if the last person who filled up got regular unleaded how much of that was left in the system/pump/hose ?

Well I have and so I asked, not one not two but three different stations yesterday just cuz I did not believe the first or the second.

How much do you think is left ?

1/2 gallon or more is left in system/pump/hose to keep it primed is what they all told me !

So if you go to a Gas station that dispenses from only a single hose you could be putting a 1/2 gallon of regular into your bike before the premium ever starts coming out ?

Does that not suck !

Look for stations that have a separate hose for premium and this will cut down the amount of regular you may be getting.

I always use the pump after Keith, Donn, or Bill pump their gas. That way I know it is Premium 93

I thought I'd bump this thread since something happened today.. I'm at the gas pump, and I hear this loud crack.. The dumb blonde next to me decided to drive off with the pump still in her tank :rofl:

Funny thing of my little story is this: Not a single drop of gas spilled out of that hose when it snapped off of the pump. Wondering if there is some sort of vacuum that returns the fuel to the tank after you are done pumping.. Very weird.. Here's a pic..

I havent seen a seperate hose pump around here in years, there used to be a place in my old town that sold 93 non ethanol, little ma and pop place thats out of business now. Closest non ethanol station would take a half a tank to get to. As long as i get decent 91 i'm ok, i usually have a few gallons of some good stuff to mix in when i can :laugh:

I thought I'd bump this thread since something happened today.. I'm at the gas pump, and I hear this loud crack.. The dumb blonde next to me decided to drive off with the pump still in her tank :rofl:

Funny thing of my little story is this: Not a single drop of gas spilled out of that hose when it snapped off of the pump. Wondering if there is some sort of vacuum that returns the fuel to the tank after you are done pumping.. Very weird.. Here's a pic..
i seen her too. And, as you can see, she made it to work. :laugh:

car gas hose.jpg

car gas hose.jpg

I was told by a source I'd suspect is reputable, that the drivers of the tankers will often dump their excess low grade fuel into the premium tanks if the regular fuel is filled and they want to run empty trucks.

I don't know the details of why that is... possibly some $$$ in it.

The point being made to me was not to trust the advertised octane at a pump.

When I owned a bar, I was aware that my competitors did something similar with top-shelf vs. "well" booze, so you might be getting 20% well vodka in your Kettle One drink... it's not a far stretch for me to believe that something similar goes on with gasoline. BTW: Yes, it is illegal with booze...probably with fuel too, but it happens.

It's probably not a big deal to most, but for those running Hi-Comp or forced induction motors at the limits, it might make a difference.

Sean

Back