Do you sit on you're bike while you fill it up?

Do you sit on you're bike while you fill it up?

• Total voters
i use to sit and pump but being over here in germany now I have to get off my bike, remove my helmet, pump, grab my registration, go to the window and wait in like, then show them my registration and ID as well as the little card that's at each pump to make sure you are paying for the right pump station. PITA.

I do it both ways depending on the style of pump mostly. Some I can't reach well to get my card in but lately I've been going to the same Hess station where I pay same for card as cash so I can always reach as well there and keep the bike up for a complete fill. Don't want to stop any more than I have to.

ok must be just in nova scotia,i was filling up sitting on my bike and the gas atendent told me i had to get off my bike

BTW are you or can you go above the first layer on the tank when filling up kind of a weird design on the busa tank on all of my other bikes there is no second layer there ? :thumbsup:

i use to sit and pump but being over here in germany now I have to get off my bike, remove my helmet, pump, grab my registration, go to the window and wait in like, then show them my registration and ID as well as the little card that's at each pump to make sure you are paying for the right pump station. PITA.

Why do you have to show ID and reg when you pay for fuel?
Looking for stolen vehicles??

never done it....always use it as a chance to stretch my legs/body etc...many pump attendants locally won't activate the pump unless you get off the bike and remove your helmet anyway.

Just curious, anyone ever check to see if the amount you would have lost by not leveling it is actually draining back out the over flow tube if placed on the kickstand after filling? :laugh:
(Just a thought, IE if the bike is parked before leaving the lot to run the "leveled" amount of fuel out)

Not sure about this, but I'm still sitting up on my level bike, BMW S1000RR, and gassing it up that way...that is unless I accidentally put diesel fuel in it, which I have done twice now. Just a wicked bad thing to do from rushing too much. Funny, but not so much anymore. Thank goodness its such a strong machine. I burned up a beautiful Brocks CT Meg Muffler as it got superheated and blew most of the packing and carbon fiber tip off.

I put the diesel in, got on it and took off like a bat out of...as usual, and I saw a big puff of smoke behind me when I looked back to see if Law Enforcement was behind me. The bike started loosing power but ran for another ten or fifteen miles. Finally it died when I closed the throttle and I had to get towed. Another thank goodness is in order due to the fact that I had the Platinum Tow coverage through the BMW Owners Association, MOA.

The denouement is that I'm becoming a Setauket Fire Department EMS Basic and the days of riding like a crazy person are coming to an end. I'm doing more Racing Schools with Penguin road racing and Team Promotion to get my jollies, have fun, and learn to ride safely. I continue to be a student at California Superbike School for over three years now but, at this time, by observance and online only...I crashed there last year and I'm not allowed on the track with them. I talked with Cobie Fair, Head of Worldwide Coaching, and Trevor Pennington, Track Control Coach yesterday, August, 28th, 2015 and all is well for now.

Eric Wood, President of Penguin, took me on a 2up ride with him on a ZX-10 on August 3rd, 2015, and I found out what correct form and riding are all about..smooth, patient, and fast. Hopefully I'll get my racing license this year on the weekend of October 2nd. On the other hand, after race style passing by me caused another rider to go down two weeks ago, I have to perform flawlessly next time in order to proceed and get my license. Unfortunately some of the riders at Penguin have called for me to be banned there as well. However, Eric and I believe I can overcome these obstacles and succeed. I'm getting huge help from Penguin Head Coach in charge of licensing, Steve Noguiera. I've been renting a bike, first at Thompson Speedway up in Northeastern Connecticut, and soon at Loudon, NH to limit my liability to a $500.00 deductible. Its a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-750 set up with Armor Bodies and a little more upright than normal. Its a fun, fast bike that can turn some unbelievable lap times as done by Eric's brother, Jeff Wood. As an aside, Eric made a good showing at the Daytona 200 this year and made a great photo op with in Roadracing World & Motorcycle Technology, the most important racing magazine in the english language that I know of.

That's my thread hi-jacking update. I hope you enjoy hearing of how my racing career is progressing. I'll have a blog up sometime this year.

Adios Amigo's and Amigas,

Cheers to All!

Nic

Did you replace any engine electrical components on your BMW when you put the diesel in did it effect the motor in the long run ? just curious :thumbsup:

Nope, not that I know of since Max BMW is doing it. He is awesome to me and made the whole thing as painless as possible. He himself, is doing the re-tune to his version II which a lot of people are very satisfied with, and I'm sure I will be too. He does a free re-tune within the first year, and I don't know of a better tune pdeal than that!
He and his service department staff are also putting a complete set of carbon fiber fairings on her (I call her "Black Night") which, with the Brock's CT Meg full titanium, and Max's tune will make her one of the most unique BMW S1000RRs in the world.
With respect to racing in the U.S., MotoAmerica is offering a super volunteer opportunity at their events, of which September 21-23 is the grand finale. For working as a corner marshal I will get a free pass, parking, lunches, training, and camping site. I can't wait having never seen an event of this caliber. I telling you this because there are still some spots open as corner marshals in case you or someone else would want to takes advantage of it. Go to the MotoAmeric website and fill out the Volunteer request form. I believe it is under the "Inside MotoAmerica" drop down menu.
For grins and better reasons""am the Organizer of the Long Island Sport Bike Meetup Group.com with over 400 members, and we sure could use a few more Busas to hang with us. All someone has to do is go on the site and join and partake. We have lots of great rides that are respectful of traffic laws and good riding sense.
My You Tube Channel is Nicholas Rakovic (just do a search on You Tube for that name). Anyone, please subscribe as I'm slowly but surely building a following. There are some ridiculously stupid things I did there, that are also very entertaining, such as One Seventy Two, where you can watch the speedo go up that high. I most regret blowing by some unsuspecting motorist at 160mph. Another crazy vid is "Winter Riding" where I go about 120 in some parts, immediately following a snowstorm where there is ice, snow, and sand on the roadway. Now that I am becoming an EMT, and for other very obvious reasons, that kind of riding has to come to an abrupt halt. There are also some nice videos of the Long Island Sport Bike Meetup Group.com rides, including some to Bear Mountain and back. There is also video of me singing "Take It Easy" with Scott F. Crago, drummer for the Eagles rock band since 1994. He was a guest celebrity rider for a Penguin Racing School track day, and graciously accepted my invitation to sing with me. I won a bunch of great Eagles swag by buying the majority of tickets for a fund raiser "Joshua's Angles" for a 10 yr old boy, who is a racer and putting up a great fight against cyclic fibrosis. I knew Scott was going to be there and I'm a singer trying to make it big, as unlikely as that seems, so I took my best shot. Scott was the presenter of the prizes that included a an expensive pair of Uvex sunglasses, which are guaranteed not to fall off your head (they don't), and come with two extra sets of lenses, clear and Amber. For, the icing on the cake, Scott's twin brother was there, and we became fast friends. He is a carpenter and is helping me finish my basement! I won a different pair of Uvex, a Penguin Road Racing School t-shirt, and another t-shirt at a previous track day under similar circumstances. It's all for a good cause and to promote the School.
That's way more inormation than I planned on sharing and I hope it is as enjoyable as it is factual.
Thanks muchly for your interest and have a great rest of your riding season!
Nic, aka, snbusa, aka, Shakabusa

No loss of fuel on kickstand and I still after all these years still fill my bike while sitting on it :poke:

Didn't really figure it would be DO3, just wanted to make someone think about it for a sec :laugh:

I always get off the bike, but like others have said...most likely because I want to stretch, or run inside, or P, eat, or get my wallet and gloves off and sit them on the seat...guess it's all in preference.
Usually if I'm ready to fill up I've been on the seat for long enough to not want to sit the next couple minutes.

I was just being funny that this thread came back to life. I filled up today and sat right there on her the whole time. No receipt paper so I got the old see the clerk message. No, sir, local station, pulled right off. I have always been one of those hurry up guys. I might run through a couple tanks on a trip before hitting the restroom, but seriously , I could care less what another person does :laugh:

On the FJR1300 while riding long distance I used center stand to get a extra half gallon in . could make 285 miles easy , and once went 303 miles . Took on 6.59 gallons on a 6.6 gallon tank .
On the Hayabusa for just riding around town /short rides its side stand . However first long road trip I will sit on to top off for max range .

I almost always sit on the bike while fueling. If I'm going to park right away I will stop as soon as the fuel hits the bottom of the neck. If I'm going to ride more than a few miles, I top that baby off by wagging the bike back and forth then adding more fuel and repeat that a couple of times. the best range I've gotten was 247 miles by doing that but she was on fumes.

Never. Just not a good idea IMO. Even if I didn't have to move the tank bag I prefer to stand next to the bike. It fills up to the neck and takes 5.1 gallons (CA model). If it fills more by standing straight up I would be worried with a 'fuller' tank if it were to be left on the side stand before a using that extra gas. My CBX takes a lot more fuel straight up but I fill it on the center stand and don't let it sit on the side stand until the fuel level drops accordingly.

Back