Filling the gas tank while on the bike

Elit

Registered
This morning on my way to work I had to make a stop for gas.

Next to me was some guy filling up the bike while still on it.

As some of you may know you should NEVER DO THIS!!!

The reason you shouldn’t do this is that while you are still on the bike the risk of a static electricity discharge, which is the main reason for fires on a gas station, is way greater.

To make maters a little worse, because you are on the bike, if you see a fire starting your first reaction would be to pull the hose out.

NEVER EVER TAKE THE HOSE OUT IN CASE OF FIRE!!!

Doesn’t matter what you are filling up… Bike… Car… Truck… Some gas tank…

The only thing you will accomplish by pulling it out is feeding the fire more oxygen and a larger surface, creating a bigger problem.

I've been filling up while sitting on my bike since 1986 and never had a problem , where would this static electricity come from ? Aren't your feet grounded? Just asking ???

Gee, next you're gonna tell me to shut the bike off, too... :poke:

:rofl:

I've heard this too, I never sit on my bike when fueling. I have to get off of it to get a towel to wipe up any splashes anyway, I just stay off of it...
:beerchug:

In the thousands of gas station fires I've personally witnessed, all were caused by someone filling up while sitting on the bike with one exception. That one was caused by a little 'ole lady texting. :poke:

In the thousands of gas station fires I've personally witnessed, all were caused by someone filling up while sitting on the bike with one exception. That one was caused by a little 'ole lady texting. :poke:

THOUSANDS of gas station fires?? What do you work for the Federal Bureau of gas station fire investigation? You've witnessed over a thousand people starting on fire from sitting on the bike?

I call BS on this one... :laugh:

I always fill up while on the bike. I would have thought that your feet would ground you reducing the possibility of static.

This is interesting though, I will have to do some research as I do not want to catch fire any time soon.

THOUSANDS of gas station fires?? What do you work for the Federal Bureau of gas station fire investigation? You've witnessed over a thousand people starting on fire from sitting on the bike?

I call BS on this one... :laugh:

kid-dog.jpg

I always fill up while on the bike. I would have thought that your feet would ground you reducing the possibility of static.

This is interesting though, I will have to do some research as I do not want to catch fire any time soon.

If your feet grounded you, think about it, you'd NEVER get a shock... Well, unless you were laying down that is.. :whistle:

If your feet grounded you, think about it, you'd NEVER get a shock... Well, unless you were laying down that is.. :whistle:

Right, that is my point. I guess I did not convey my thoughts clearly enough. I just don't see how this is a high possibility, but I have been wrong before, THOUSANDS of times :laugh:

???

+1

i'm with him^^^^
thousands??

It was a joke. :D

Folks fill up on their scoots all the time, and I've never seen even a spark (heh) of trouble. It's Joe Bob and his cousins smoking while filling up the pick-up that causes me a little heartburn.

It was a joke. :D

Folks fill up on their scoots all the time, and I've never seen even a spark (heh) of trouble. It's Joe Bob and his cousins smoking while filling up the pick-up that causes me a little heartburn.

You're no fun, should have at least kept that one going for 3 pages of replies... :banghead:

Ive always sat on my bike when fueling. First of all even if your standing off the bike and there is a fire your going to drop the nozzle anyway,it wont stay in the tank like a car does. Also if your concerned about a static charge just take your gloves off and B4 you open the the cap and remove the hose just touch something metal and it will discharge the static electricity. And last but not least ya cant get the tank completly full.....

Ive always sat on my bike when fueling. First of all even if your standing off the bike and there is a fire your going to drop the nozzle anyway,it wont stay in the tank like a car does. Also if your concerned about a static charge just take your gloves off and B4 you open the the cap and remove the hose just touch something metal and it will discharge the static electricity. And last but not least ya cant get the tank completly full.....

The worst part about sitting on your bike is that IF something were to happen, you are stuck on the bike. Second worse part? Have you ever spilled Gasoline on your crotch?? :banghead:

The worst part about sitting on your bike is that IF something were to happen, you are stuck on the bike. Second worse part? Have you ever spilled Gasoline on your crotch?? :banghead:

Cannot say that I have, despite filling my tank THOUSANDS of times while on the bike.

Nope never spilled it down there, atleast not while i was fueling the bike:whistle: I also put the kickstand down that way if something does happen the bike wont fall over.

Pull up, slap in the card, open the tank, punch 87 button, full speed fill, return nozzle, lock tank, start bike and zoom off. Spark never had a chance to catch me!

Back