Good reason why you should fill up from stations with multiple hoses

I put 87 in mine like the manual calls for. So if I get 89 or 93, cool I guess. :laugh:

Whenever I get around to getting the ECU flashed I'd like to bump the timing thought to take advantage of 93 (premium).

Good obseravation man:thumbsup: Luckially the Chevron where I refuel Has 3 lines they are also the only ones who still have 100% gasoline not that mix crap :laugh:

That's why I brought up Diesel...I know a perfect example, a friend of mine put in 93 octane pump gas into a ZX10 a while back and took him about 4 hours of taking everything apart on the bike to see why it would not fire...checked the gas and sure enough it was green and oily...looked like someone had filled up the gas pumps with diesel~!~

(Assuming he grabbed the correct pump to begin with~!~)

BP is bad about that, usually at other gas stations the Diesel pump handle is GREEN, but at BP the regular (87/89/93) pump is covered in green. I almost made that mistake once when filling up my truck. Had to double take and was like WTF...bastards!

More and more gas stations are going to a single hose with a selector for the grade.
Have you ever wondered that if the last person who filled up got regular unleaded how much of that was left in the system/pump/hose ?

Well I have and so I asked, not one not two but three different stations yesterday just cuz I did not believe the first or the second.

How much do you think is left ?

1/2 gallon or more is left in system/pump/hose to keep it primed is what they all told me !

So if you go to a Gas station that dispenses from only a single hose you could be putting a 1/2 gallon of regular into your bike before the premium ever starts coming out ?

Does that not suck !

Look for stations that have a separate hose for premium and this will cut down the amount of regular you may be getting.

Diameter of Cylinder (in)
Length of Cylinder (ft)
Volume of Cylinder (gal)

Sounds about right.

Last edited:
I've tried all 3 grades and found that my gen2 runs GOOD on regular. I just touch the starter button and Im fired up, not even a full spin ..:laugh:

The dealership I got my bikes from only puts regular in everything they send out the door....both my Gen II's had bad knocking until I ran that thru and searched for some good Premium gas. In this part of VA all the stations now seem to have ethanol (10%) so it's a pain to find 'good gas'! Many of the stations here have gone to 1 hose as well, there are a few Shell stations, and a couple of Exxon's with older pumps...and also Sheetz but their gas caused knocking in my Vette so I have stayed away from them.

yeah they closed down the only Sonoco station where you could buy true race gas and a better quality of premium here in Missouri course its been gone for about 4 years now.... i dont think i have seen a station here in town with multiple lines, quick trips or QT'S as we call them only have the single fill lines...

yeah they closed down the only Sonoco station where you could buy true race gas and a better quality of premium here in Missouri course its been gone for about 4 years now.... i dont think i have seen a station here in town with multiple lines, quick trips or QT'S as we call them only have the single fill lines...

seems like some of the qt's up there in KC, have dual lines, one for premium, one for the others, seems like the stop on the northside, that has a sinclair and a qt next to each other was that way. i had to put premium in my car up there and seem to remember it being that way..... drove from ST. Joe to my house in oklahoma every weekend from june to about nov.

If you fill up 4 gallons with 93 and there's actually a 1/2 gallon of pure 87 that you're getting you still end up with 92.25 octane. Minimum octane on the GenII is 91. You're fine.

I've tried all 3 grades and found that my gen2 runs GOOD on regular. I just touch the starter button and Im fired up, not even a full spin ..:laugh:

Not a good idea! It starts quicker because regular has a faster burning time.

I wouldn't do a track day or race of anykind on regular. You'll find the problem snake raising it's ugly head when your engine is hot and you are wide open throttle at high RPM. When that puppy starts firing early (Preignition) is when you are most apt to sincerely regret not paying attention to that little sticker (92 octane minimum) There is a reason why it's there!

I only run premium from chevron in all my vehicles... Got bad gas from a shell once that required my mercedes to have to be completely drained... No complaints since. :beerchug:

Good point about the separate pumps... I've always wondered about that myself...

On my Bash trip I would alternate 93 to 89 at half- fills, it cut down the price and seemed to lean it out just right.
Its also obvious when you get non-ethanol(hard find on east coast) as the bike picks-up and your mileage goes through the roof.

Excellent post and the very reason I only support stations with individual hoses. I also let the manager on duty know that I'm supporting their station because of this reason. In a lot of cases, the person acting as the "manager" is actually the owner of the station. I remember reading that the single hose apparatus is quite a bit less expensive to maintain long term which is why most stations have gone to that set-up.

I always run the best fuel available for my bikes, however...

I'm not a subject matter expert, so please feel free to educate if needed.

At altitudes closer to sea level I might take this serious but I can't see much of a risk up here in MT or other areas 3000ft+. There is quite a bit less oxygen per volume at higher altitudes thus lower cylinder pressures hence less need for higher octane fuel...right?

I've always ran 87 in my Gen 1, never a problem.
But when I'm getting dirt bike gas, I always run the first gallon of premium into the truck then the next 2-3 gallons in the can. There's a Shell station on the way to the use area that has "no alcohol in the premium", so I always hit there. Now I see a new store going up here in town is going to be a Shell station too. Good (though "nitrogenated", whatever that means) gas right down the road.:thumbsup:

Remember not to gas up when the gas truck is filling the tanks, stirs up all the sediments in the bottom of the tank!

I can't recall the last time I saw pumps with individual hoses for each grade? You still have some down there?

I am like you. I can't remember that last time I saw a station with pumps that had individual hoses for each grade of gas. I will for sure keep this in mind and look for stations that have multiple hoses.

Back