Filling the gas tank while on the bike

I always sit on the bike so I can get as much gas into the tank as possible. Also I never put the nozzle into the tank. I compress the plastic sleeve on the nozzle and watch as the tank fills up.

I guess I should count myself as one lucky guy since in all the years I've never had a fire. :laugh:

In the future I'll think about carrying around a copper grounding strap prior to fill ups.

Right, that is my point. I guess I did not convey my thoughts clearly enough. I just don't see how this is a high possibility, but I have been wrong before, THOUSANDS of times :laugh:

It’s not that it is a high possibility… It’s just a real one.

There have been reports of people causing fires on gas stations by getting in and out of the car and then grabbing the hose.

There are also fairly credible reports that cell phones are safe to use while refilling, and that doesn’t mean they are not prohibit in most gas stations around here

Fires on gas station are pretty rare. But they happen…

There have been reports of people causing fires on gas stations by getting in and out of the car and then grabbing the hose.

There are also fairly credible reports that cell phones are safe to use while refilling, and that doesn’t mean they are not prohibit in most gas stations around here

I hear people fall out of bed and die sometimes. Bed guard rails it is. :p

Sure it's possible but if you ground out like you should when filling any vehicle you are doing the best you can.

The worst part about sitting on your bike is that IF something were to happen, you are stuck on the bike. Second worse part? Have you ever spilled Gasoline on your crotch?? :banghead:

No, but I was once with a girl for the first time and in the heat of passion she asked "Do you have any gasoline?" Of course I screamed "WHAT? Gasoline?!?" To which she replied "No, vaseline!" Whewwww.....ended up making her my second wife.

I remember an episode of mythbusters on this. I don't remember how they finally got a fire to start but I do know it was something know one would actually try. leave the car run, talk on the cell phone and smoke a cig you'll be fine trust me.:whistle:

I always fill up while on the bike, but I touch a few metal parts on the pump to make sure any static has been discharged before I start fueling. I do this even when filling my car, somethin my daddy told me to always do. And hes a fart smeller,,,,I mean smart feller.

I always get off the bike when I fill up, cause my Mama told me if I spill gas it could be detremental to my breeding equipment.

Gee, next you're gonna tell me to shut the bike off, too... :poke:

:rofl:

I've heard this too, I never sit on my bike when fueling. I have to get off of it to get a towel to wipe up any splashes anyway, I just stay off of it...
:beerchug:

Same here. I gotta prepay anyway lol. I hate it when gas spills on my tank.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

I have to get off the bike to pull down my overpants to get @ my wallet... Fill on the kickstand till it bubbles into the filler neck, done "full". Strom guys say it is a mistake to fill to the cap, expansion/overflow/lean=bad.

That is because they regenerate the charge when they are in the car. Static build up is caused mainly by plastics (especially bedliners), the carpet and fabric seats. The static is discharged when you touch the pump.

Another myth is you are grounded when you are standing. Just the opposite, the rubber soles of your shoes/boots and tires actually shield you. So unless you go to a station that doens't have a concrete or asphalt pad and you are barefooted, you are not grounded until you touch the pump.

Normally you discharge the static charge when you touch the pump or nozzle which is grounded. If are not grounded and rebuild the static charge, it may produce a spark when you touch the nozzle again and that can cause a fire. As long as you are grounded you will not build up a charge, so there should be no be no problem with staying on the bike.

I always sit on the bike, so its upright, and I can get more gas in the tank. I dont think theres really a chance of even causing a spark, considering you dont let go of the nozzle anyways. Once you touch the nozzle, you will discharge, before you even start filling.

If you take your gloves off (who wants gas on their gloves) then you have grounded yourself then you touch the metal of the pump handle....

Only issue I can see is that you are stuck on the bike for a few, critical seconds...

So how do the riders in Oregon deal with this? They are not allowed to pump their own gas so do they just sit there while it happens?!?! LOL One of the things I loved about my VMax was watching people try to find where the gas goes.......

Rio

If today is the present, I hope someone kept the receipt

Wait, if there are THOUSANDS of fires, and I have filled up my motorcycle with gas THOUSANDS OF TIMES....

THAT MEANS IM ON FIRE RIGHT NOW @#$@#$@#$@#.....

HEEEEEEEEELLLLLP!!!!!!!!

STOP DROP N ROLL!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

for the record, this happens not commonly at all, but does happen in arizona once in awhile..

in a desert where its about as static ridden as it gets...

in every video of it i have ever seen, its ALWAYS been a car where the driver puts in the gas hose, then attempts to get inside the vehicle again, or rarely make a phone call...

like THIS

youtube for motorcycle gas pump fire doesnt even pull up a result.... LOL

Back