fearing death = fearing life

good post , i dont fear death , i see it every day ! , death doesnt discriminate , been workin on a tattoo for over five years grim reaper standing in cemetery gates shovel in one hand sand timer in the other with the sand runnin out ! almost there , just a reminder every time i look at it to remind my self how short our time is here and to live every day as it were your last ! tommorow may never come for me and/or those who surround me ? so make the time count .
rock.gif

jeepers! I even forgot to throw in my old, stolen mantra:

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.

A6, good of you to chime in! But what do you mean you WELCOME death? You want to die or you will just charge into it like any adventure in life?

I just had another revelation. I almost never compare us to animals since we are beings living on a planet with somewhat similar growth characteristics as other creatures, but I just realized that animals never worry about death. They might see each other stop moving and maybe torn up by bigger animals, but I bet the concept is just not designed into them. They worry about food, shelter, sex and that's it. Our life pattern is all setup and designed by man: learn, get job, make family, feel aged, then die. ALL planned out. I don't even think that is 'biblical' in nature, just man defining his role, with purpose fulfilled by greed and the success of how closely one has followed man's design... a design which aims towards death on many levels along the way: death of self, happiness, dreams, creativity and finally body. I guess it is predestined [by man] for us to worry about such things, instead of prancing thru the green meadows, making love in the sand, eating natural fruits etc etc etc hmmmmm.... I don't really think I like the way man is doing it... something is off here...

I believe that <s>we</s> I should live every day like it is the people in <s>our</s> my life's last day.

It should be a lot easier to regret doing that one last thing when I am dead rather than when my wife or kids die without me doing it. I try to enjoy every day like it is their last -- it means doing stuff today rather than putting it off until later. Actually me being less selfish with my time and energy has made her much less selfish with her time and energy. Kind of a cool relationship Yin Yang.

When I had my argument with the Mailbox on the Busa a few months ago, Most of the thoughts mentioned above by different people premeated my Brain. As I rode the bike 25 miles back home I spent most of it in Prayer Thanking the Good Lord for protecting me while teaching me I was getting too cocky and independant. I have since returned to going to a church and am really starting to live once again. I do not fear death, Only its timing. I want to actively and physically participate in my Son's life for as long as I possibly can. This is what stops me from doing things I deem as "foolishly dangerous". Riding my Busa does NOT fall into that category. It does ,however, now determine my actions while on it.
Returning to a point made on a earlier post ... PLEASE do not judge Christianity by those professing to be Christians. I have fallen short of representing the Christian faith recently and it has affected how Christianity is viewed by a dear friend of mine that I want to come to know my Lord. When reporting my crash to the insurance company, I told the people that work there the truth of what happened then handed them a statement proclaiming a different set of events. The official Statement made it so the blame could not be placed against my record insuring my rates would not rise. My wife works with the company and my friend is very high on the totem pole within the company which made it easier but it didn't make it right. Everything I claimed was broken or scratched was actually broken or scratched as a direct result of the crash. At the end of the day though, it was still a lie and now I have to answer to my friend why, As a Christian, it's perceivably OK for me to lie to an Insurance company.
Before dismissing Christianity I encourage you to pick up an inexpensive book called "The Message" by Eugene H Peterson. It is the Bible translated into today's conversational language. No thee's or thou's. It's the way the bible was meant to be. Readable and understandable to the masses.
Christians are grouped together into a mass classification for any one proclaiming to believe in Christ. We are all in a different place in our walk with the Lord. Better stated, we are all in a different stage of growth toward being Christ-Like. Some believe and that's it. Some want to believe but rationalize why they don't based on worldly reason. Some profess to believe yet do nothing different or even act worse than those that do not. Some are very close to God and you can tell it a mile away. It's different for everybody.
My wish for everybody reading this thread is that they do not fear death because of a lack of knowing ( or believing they know and don't like) what lies beyond the grave.

A6, good of you to chime in!  But what do you mean you WELCOME death?  You want to die or you will just charge into it like any adventure in life?
When I equate death with a visit from an old friend I don't mean to convey that I seek him out - just that I'll welcome him in.

Have you ever had an old friend call, completely unexpectedly? They're in town so they give you a call and you go out for dinner or meet them for coffee? That's the relationship.

You were busy doing your daily things and the call came from out of the blue...

And do you remember your last year of Elementary school? Toward the end of the year, the inescapable childlike anticipation at the prospect of leaving Elementary and heading into the adventure of Junior High - somewhat along those lines.

Once again, good topic.

My wish for everybody reading this thread is that they do not fear death because of a lack of knowing ( or believing they know and don't like) what lies beyond the grave.
A very good friend of mine is a professed Atheist - thoroughly dyed-in-the-wool - and an incredibly intelligent, highly educated man, though absolutely terrified at the thought of death. While he can't successfully counter the various arguments useful as proofs of the existence of God, and while his end conclusion is that there must be 'something eternal and intelligent' that created the universe, he refuses to accept the notion of God because with it comes the inevitable law of cause and effect - accountability - hence his fear.

I've run out of breath trying to bring him to see that, because of the basis of his fear, he's not an Atheist...

i dont beleave in god or all that church bible crap. i dont fear death because if it happens it happens. i just want to live as long as i can. i no its going happen and i live like its the last day here because you never no.ive dealt with too many deaths friends and family.it sucks but you deal with it. everyone deals with it differant.just my opinion.
First, learn to spell. Second, just beacuse you don't believe in something doen't mean it's crap. Watch your mouth.
TO ME ITS CRAP I DONT GIVE 2 $HITS ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS TO YOU.WATCH MY MOUTH
jump9.gif
WHY.WHO ARE YOU A F-ING NOBODY. IF YOUR DUMB A$$ COULD READ HE SAID HE WANTED FEEDBACK THATS ALL A GAVE.THAT MY OPINION NOT YOURS.SO SHUT UP.

i no its going happen and i live like its the last day here because you never no.
If I may say to you ZX, each day IS your last day in a way since tomorrow is never guaranteed - as you said, you never know...

So let me ask you, since you don't believe in God, what do you suppose death will bring - and why?
I THINK ONCE YOUR DEAD YOUR DEAD.THATS JUST WHAT I THINK. IM NOT TRING THE START NOTHING ITS JUST HOW I FEEL. I HAVE LOST TO MANY PEOPLE IN MY LIFE THAT DEATH DOES NOT AFFECT ME ANYMORE.IM NOT SAYING ITS NOT SAD BUT I JUST GOT USE TO IT.DONT GET MAD AT ME JUST BECAUSE A BELIEVE SOMETHING.HE SAID HE WANTED FEEDBACK THAT ALL I DID.

My rightousness is like filthy rags. Do I fear death? nawh, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

No man has seen nor no man can conceive what awaits you.

The only thing I do know is I will never be or do enough good to earn my way to heaven, for their are none rightious, no NOT one. Quote from JC
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|paineless4u
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120857315 -->

i no its going happen and i live like its the last day here because you never no.
If I may say to you ZX, each day IS your last day in a way since tomorrow is never guaranteed - as you said, you never know...

So let me ask you, since you don't believe in God, what do you suppose death will bring - and why?
I THINK ONCE YOUR DEAD YOUR DEAD.THATS JUST WHAT I THINK. IM NOT TRING THE START NOTHING  ITS JUST HOW I FEEL. I HAVE LOST TO MANY PEOPLE IN MY LIFE THAT DEATH DOES NOT AFFECT ME ANYMORE.IM NOT SAYING ITS NOT SAD BUT I JUST GOT USE TO IT.DONT GET MAD AT ME JUST BECAUSE A BELIEVE SOMETHING.HE SAID HE WANTED FEEDBACK THAT ALL I DID.
to each our own.

"I don't fear death, I just fear how it'll occur...sure would appreciate a quick and quiet one, thank you...nothing tragic and drawn out, like being impaled on some wicked sharp object while dangling from the rails of a helicopter as my head is scraped along some pavement below and crocodiles are hanging from my feet...get me?!"
wow.gif

Great topic WWJD....I myself have "cheated death" death per say 4 times in my 45 years of living in this world. Each time I was revived in some form or fashion from and incident or accident I was involved in. I have a deep personal relationhip with Christ. I believe in Relationship not Religion. There is an appointed time to be born unto this world and a appointed time to die, all we can do is prepare for such an event. I have witnessed many people dying, and in fact have had two die in my arms, death has no barriers nor race or creed or isn't prejudice of any sort. After my first encounter with death ( and no it wasn't lights and a tunnel) I had a very religious experience and yes I seen heaven. I am here to concur that there is a HEAVEN, and IM sure there is a HELL. Today I don't fear of dying or how Im going to die, whether it be of natural causes or from a tragedy. I don't even mind how IM buried if Im buried, cremated, or just at the bottom of the ocean. Those things to me are mynute. "To be out of this world is to be in the presence of God" This body is only a vessel that will surly go back to dust regardless how its destroyed or perserved. And you are right, some people quit living or don't know how to live for fear of death. The sench of death has a way of hovering over one, its presence is felt, and yes too those whom don't have any religious background or raising, it could possibly be scarey or maybe not, I don't know personally to many people who don't believe in a higher power, so each person has there on identity with something greater then themselves.
Alot of time we cannot nor will we understand stand death, when we see someone old who has lived a wonderful life, and dies of natural causes, without suffiering, to one that is born into this world and suffers from birth until he/she dies, we cannot make sense of this. You have to trust in a higher power, and no that there is peace after here, and truly dying is the beginning of eternal life somewhere.
wink.gif

good to stir thoughts on this icky topic.
smile.gif
relax zx10r240rwhp, it was just your wording showed some disrepect towards other's beliefs, I'm sure you didn't mean it harshly. Anyway, I am glad you are all alive and enjoying life - now try to talk to someone local about this and see what the reaction is
smile.gif

The thing I am trying to impress upon my parents now is to enjoy their money while they are still alive since they can't take it with them. I'm stable and don't need or want their bank account when they kick off - I'd prefer they spend it silly until they are too feeble to enjoy any of it - run it dry! THEY earned it, not me. My dad ran out and bout a Camery A CAMERY! PFFFT! Shoulda gone Avalon or Caddie or soemthing a tad more luxurious, but oh well. I seriously hope they have nothing left when their time comes, because then I will know they enjoyed their money and not just let it stockpile up for the kids to inherit. Enjoy life in the now!

It's great reading everybody's view and experience - ya don't get this much feedback with live people as you can on the net.

A6, glad you are not seeking death out. Had me worried for a minute!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

The thing I am trying to impress upon my parents now is to enjoy their money while they are still alive since they can't take it with them.  I'm stable and don't need or want their bank account when they kick off - I'd prefer they spend it silly until they are too feeble to enjoy any of it - run it dry!  THEY earned it, not me.  My dad ran out and bout a Camery  A CAMERY!   PFFFT!   Shoulda gone Avalon or Caddie or soemthing a tad more luxurious, but oh well.  I seriously hope they have nothing left when their time comes, because then I will know they enjoyed their money and not just let it stockpile up for the kids to inherit.  Enjoy life in the now!  
I'm always telling my parents the same thing...my Dad wants a bigger Harley, but keeps coming up with all kinds of excuses...I keep BEGGING him to just go buy it, enjoy life and don't worry about keeping things for those you leave behind.

My Mom, newly widowed, is going in to her ultra-save mode...I can tell she's worried about her future, but I still say have fun while you can...and in all honesty, I know that my hubby and I can always help if things get tough, though I know parents don't like depending on kids for those types of things...

Great topic WWJD, I have been dealing with this topic for the last few weeks. I am not scared of dieing because I know where I will be. I have two boys, 4 and 1 and love them dearly. I never really knew what it meant to love someone unconditionally, until I had them. My fear was just dying and not getting to be with them while they are here. I have had a couple of people that I know have accidents on their bikes within the last few weeks, 1 has passed away and another is in bad shape and do not know how their spine will be. I had been thinking about selling the busa and playing it safe. I went out last saturday and road all day with a couple of my friends and I realized I love to ride, not as much as I love my boys but I love to ride and always have ever since I was a little boy. This is something that God put in me and I do love it. I have come to realize that I do need to be careful and use my head while I am riding but ultimatly it is all in His hands and nothing I can do will change this. It all goes back to what someone else said about people being in a different place intheir walk with God, well I just took another step in the faith area when I came to the conclusion that God knows whats going to happen and when and His plan is bigger and better than mine. I am also not trying to get "religous" with anyone as anybody who has met me in person knows I am down to earth and do not think I am better than anyone else nor do I fling religion in anyones face, but if you ask I will tell you what I believe and you can tell me what you believe and if you want to talk about the differences thats great I would love to, I have made some good friends that way that still believe what they believe. I do think the same as WWJD do not look to a person for an example because they will eventually let you down, but look to God he won't let you down.

"there is none righteous, no not one."

good post WWJD, and good to see some other  points of view from everyone else.

<!--EDIT|GD4GVN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120876866 -->

Great topic WWJD, I have been dealing with this topic for the last few weeks. I am not scared of dieing because I know where I will be. I have two boys, 4 and 1 and love them dearly. I never really knew what it meant to love someone unconditionally, until I had them. My fear was just dying and not getting to be with them while they are here. I have had a couple of people that I know have accidents on their bikes within the last few weeks, 1 has passed away and another is in bad shape and do not know how their spine will be. I had been thinking about selling the busa and playing it safe. I went out last saturday and road all day with a couple of my friends and I realized I love to ride, not as much as I love my boys but I love to ride and always have ever since I was a little boy. This is something that God put in me and I do love it. I have come to realize that I do need to be careful and use my head while I am riding but ultimatly it is all in His hands and nothing I can do will change this. It all goes back to what someone else said about people being in a different place intheir walk with God, well I just took another step in the faith area when I came to the conclusion that God knows whats going to happen and when and His plan is bigger and better than mine. I am also not trying to get "religous" with anyone as anybody who has met me in person knows I am down to earth and do not think I am better than anyone else nor do I fling religion in anyones face, but if you ask I will tell you what I believe and you can tell me what you believe and if you want to talk about the differences thats great I would love to, I have made some good friends that way that still believe what they believe. I do think the same as WWJD do not look to a person for an example because they will eventually let you down, but look to God he won't let you down.

"there is none righteous, no not one."

good post WWJD, and good to see some other  points of view from everyone else.
So sorry to hear about you losing a friend...

What you're wrestling with when it comes to kids/family/riding is what I'm going through as well...coming in on Tuesday after the holiday weekend to hear about a fellow Busa ride (Paul aka UUBusa) and a friend's boyfriend being airlifted to a nearby hospital from Road Atlanta on Saturday had me thinking about this too...two very skilled and advanced riders down in the blink of an eye...sometimes I think it's only a matter of time
sad.gif

But, like you, I go out and after a day of riding I'm just so elated to be a part of the sport...it's a tough spot; one that I think many grapple with...

Sounds like you're very grounded...you know your path...I think that's a great thing...
smile.gif

Back