Confession: please don't laugh.....Fear of dentists

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
I have a massive fear of dentists. Never ever had a good experience at one, never left without pain. And here I'm afraid I'm lookin at 2 root canals...maybe not. Maybe I'm just freakin out cuz I let it get this bad I dunno.

I've heard NOTHING but absolute horror stories about root canals and I have this fear already before all those stories..... Makes me I'll jUst thinkin about it.

Had a few root canals in the past for me it was just like having an ordinary filling no pain. Remember you always hear the horror stories about stuff most of it hearsay. I don't like dentists but I go in shut my eyes and let then get on with it. Anyway good luck. Dave.

I've had 3 with no pain afterwards. Think about it, during a root canal, they remove the nerves from the tooth. They shoot you up with novocaine first, then pull out the nerve's. Whats left to hurt??

I've had 3 with no pain afterwards. Think about it, during a root canal, they remove the nerves from the tooth. They shoot you up with novocaine first, then pull out the nerve's. Whats left to hurt??

That's about the size of it. I've had one with no pain at all. He also prescribed some good painkillers just in case. Root Canal procedures have a terrible reputation, but from what I've seen there's not a whole lot to it.

Root canal work can still be painful, despite anaesthetics. It really depends on how much inflammation there is. - If you let it go too long, you will probably have some pain.

On the other hand, what price can you put on keeping your teeth?

Just go and get it done, redkat. If you're too freaked out, ask the dentist to give you full anaesthesia, plus some Oxycontin for when you wake up.

Just get some real good drugs for the days following and you'll be in lala land.

Out here they got a place that puts you out completely. Boss went there and had a bunch of stuff done in a hour and came to with no pain ready to leave.

Out here they got a place that puts you out completely. Boss went there and had a bunch of stuff done in a hour and came to with no pain ready to leave.
we have a place that puts you out, but would you really want that, lets face it what kind of sicko becomes a dentist anyways:laugh:

There are Dentist that will prescribe a "relaxer" pill that you take an hour before your appointment. They will also rub your gums with a numbing gel first before they put the first needle in. I have never had a root canal, thank God! Go before it is too late and talk to your Dentist. They will understand, cause you are not alone in the fear of Dentist. :)

I go to the dentist 3-4 times a year. The worst part of a root canal for me is being laid back with my head lower than my body for the length of time it takes for the procedure.

my buddy had one done in 45 mins. no pain. gotta have the right dentist.

man, finding a good dentist and endodontist is tricky. luckily this girl that i've dated always fills me in on good ones. dunno how she finds them, but she's into getting veneers and all that highdollar stuff and i think that's a clue to a good dentist that cares. if he does really nice cosmetic stuff, then he cares about you. and the endodontist i went to to get infected root canal redone was recommended to me by the good dentist. so.

find a good dentist and you'll never be scared again. they numb you up good before the needles and you don't feel a thing. mine (dr. groba in friendswood tx) even has a cute nurse that holds your hand while the dr is shooting you up. amazing how much that helps!

My buddy and his wife recommended their dentist and it sounds promising. She's a laser dentist....they said she almost never uses novocaine and they never have any pain what so ever. Also she does the root canal and crown in one visit.

We have 2 sleep dentistry offices here but the cost is through the roof!

Just glad I dong have to go go Doc Holliday lol. He'd probly do a tooth removal with a Colt Lightning

I am scared to death to go back to a denstist. I had one damage a nerve doing a crown a few years back. I now have Trigeminal Neuralgia - a nerve disease, also known as the "Suicide Disease". I have been on 11 different medications since December 2009 to treat it. It finally went back in remission a month ago. The worst pain a human being can endure is no joke. It is the reason I haven't ridden or been on the board in a long time.

Read this:

Trigeminal neuralgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am scared to death to go back to a denstist. I had one damage a nerve doing a crown a few years back. I now have Trigeminal Neuralgia - a nerve disease, also known as the "Suicide Disease". I have been on 11 different medications since December 2009 to treat it. It finally went back in remission a month ago. The worst pain a human being can endure is no joke. It is the reason I haven't ridden or been on the board in a long time.

Read this:

Trigeminal neuralgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Was the dentist at fault, or was it unavoidable? Because as much as I dislike people that sue for every little annoyance, this sounds like a serious case of malpractice based on what you told us.

It is next to imposssible to prove, he obviously caught a nerve, but how do you prove it. Oh yeah, the crown chipped off in his office too.

Back