ethanol free 90 octane...hmmm

Very interesting. I was always under the impression that the ethanol lowers fuel economy and small engine life. I have to try a few tanks of ethanol free and see for myself.

I run it locally and when I can find it on the road. The Gen I from memory is a no ethanol bike :dunno:

Rule of thumb is that the percentage of ethanol equates to the percentage of fuel economy loss. 10% ethanol is 10% economy. There are limits, if you put E85 (85% ethanol) in a regular vehicle you wont lose 85% of your economy, 40-50% is about what I hear but 10 and 20% usually match up to MPG loss.

Interestingly enough my company car is a flex fuel 2010 vehicle, it loses less than .5 MPG on E85. My 2006 flex fuel version of the same car lost about 2 MPG. Pretty impressive if tuned right, but I still would rather have my straight gas.

A local gas station has started selling 90 octane ethanol free gas.
Bike is a Gen I dyno tuned @ 87 octane.

I wonder if it's worth the 3 octane points to get rid of ethanol?
Probably not huh?

Ethanol sux, wish they had 87 ethanol free, be done deal then.
Drop for drop there is more power available in ethanol free fuel. The ethanol content raises the octane for per-detonation resistance. Ran 90 free and 93 @ 10% through a ZX14R multiple times, no difference to performance or economy at all. Now.... run them through a turbo and the ethanol free gets better mpg (~5-7%) and butt dyno said a slight improvement too.

Drop for drop there is more power available in ethanol free fuel. The ethanol content raises the octane for per-detonation resistance. Ran 90 free and 93 @ 10% through a ZX14R multiple times, no difference to performance or economy at all. Now.... run them through a turbo and the ethanol free gets better mpg (~5-7%) and butt dyno said a slight improvement too.
10-year-old thread!

It's well accepted that E85 makes more power than gasoline. Ethanol has 35% oxygen so the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio is lower. We've even run it on a stock motor Gen2 Busa. We did have to add about 30% more fuel. The bike picked up a couple mph and a tenth and a half in the 1/4 mile with no other changes. I don't know how 85% makes more power but 10-15% would make less properly tuned. Does not compute.

A local gas station has started selling 90 octane ethanol free gas.
Bike is a Gen I dyno tuned @ 87 octane.

I wonder if it's worth the 3 octane Nox Vidmate VLC points to get rid of ethanol?
Probably not huh?

Ethanol sux, wish they had 87 ethanol free, be done deal then.
I have been using it in all of my small engines including bikes for several years with good success.

Last edited:
In my trucks, cars, and bikes, I have never had a problem with e10 and the race gas I use in my car, Hayabusa is stock, has lots of alcohol in it.

I use AvGas in my small engine stuff like yard and garden equipment - good for 2 years and it smells like the track when I am tilling the garden or cutting up a tree... alcohol and whatever the hell else they are putting in pump gas these days is some nasty crap. I was out of AvGas and put regular pump gas in a machine at the end of last Summer and this Spring the carb is full of what looks like orange fish eggs.

Back