2008 busa vs 2008 ZX-14 on the dyno

Dozerdriver

Registered
Thought you all would like to see this I found..:thumbsup:

2008 busa vs 2008 ZX-14 on the dyno

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The waiting is over. Today I was present at the local dyno shop where both bikes made it in for a completely unbiased shootout on the dyno. Both bike had nearly identical mileage. 294 on one vs 285 on the ZX-14. Both had been heat cycled several times and had oil changes with 10W-40 oil in both. They also both had 100% pump, 93 octane gas and the rear tire pressure was checked and were within 2 psi. Also both had adjusted chains and they were properly lubed. In other words we did everything possible to ensure the test was as fair as possible.

I own the 2008 Busa and the dyno operator/owner of Dyno Masters in Chattanooga Tn. Mark Hromi owned the ZX-14. Our intentions were to test both bikes stock and run them 3-5 pulls each and then pull them off the dyno and install a Power Commander and map each one at 100% on the DJ250I machine using the Tuning link software and then run them both again for HP/Torque.

The Busa power commander (2007 GSXR1000 PC actually) plugged in just fine and all was well but for some reason the 2006 ZX-14 Power Commander caused the ZX-14 not to run at all. So we were unable to map the ZX-14 . And as you see the air fuel curve on it is really rich and no doubt a lot of power is being lost. You can see exactly at the point the air fuel goes rich the power starts to lose its upward slope and it noses over.

So the first graph is the BEST pull from the 14 and the Busa. And the second run is the before and after on the busa after mapping it with the stock exhaust etc.

I know all the Kawi guys are going to cry foul but personally I dont know what else we could have done to make this fair. Same day, same dyno, back to back runs on a great day with pump gas etc. The dyno is a VERY well maintained machine and the numbers on the busa seem to be very close to the others I have seen reported from Dynojet etc when everybody uses SAE reporting not STD. Also both bikes were bought locally off the dealer floor. These were not sent to me from Kawasaki or Suzuki, these are RETAIL bikes.

dyno2.jpg

zx-14.jpg

busa 1.jpg

It seems that most 2008 Busa's are around the low 170's SAE and around 175 STD stock. I didn't check on the ZX14 yet to see how acurate this is.

It seems that most 2008 Busa's are around the low 170's SAE and around 175 STD stock. I didn't check on the ZX14 yet to see how acurate this is.

You are 100% Correct, From what i've read and seen anywayz! There usually anywhere between 168ish to 174ish :thumbsup:
Poor Kaws, they just cant catch a break.......well besides engine breaks! :laugh:
Hummm.....if i was the devious type, it would be kinda fun to drop this "THREAD" in a ZX14 Forum :whistle: But that would just be wrong, because they'd NEVER do that to us huh?

Kawi's seem to do that with any electric upgrades. We just had a brand new zx10 and the pc3 wouldnt work brand new.

Kawi's seem to do that with any electric upgrades. We just had a brand new zx10 and the pc3 wouldnt work brand new.

Very True statement! Now that I think about it, I went through 2 or 3 PC's(and had to send the last one back for an update)on my ZX12R. My buddy had a 12R also and I remember him going through a few and having problems also!

That was my original post and my 08 busa and had it on here back when the bike first came out. If you were around back then it was posted here and a few other sites too.

Back