Busa & Ethanol?

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
I have found two local gas stations, both Exxon, that recently started selling 100% Gasoline without Ethanol. I haven't had a chance to fill up my 08 Busa with it yet, but I have used it in my truck with good results. My truck has gotten a 9-12% gain in fuel mileage since running the straight gas. Do any of you have experience using 100% Gas and the 90%/10% Gas and Ethanol mix? If so, can you tell any difference in performance or mileage between the two? Also, does your Busa mind going back and forth between the two?
Thanks in advance!

Can't speak from experience, but I can only imagine it would improve mileage. Maybe perform better too, don't know, but I'm pretty sure it would help mileage, at least a little.

I would expect the Busa to run just fine with or without Ethanol. I have run both and not noticed much of a difference.

GenI. There isn't a noticable difference I've found. 10% ethanol will help if you get a little water in the tank since alcohol will bond with the water and it will burn off without problems.

Straight gasoline will almost always give a 10-12% increase in MPG. Alcohol, while having a higher octane rating, burns "colder" if you will. It's approx. 60% the efficiency of gasoline, IIRC. Driving a '95 Impala SS from San Diego to Chicago last fall, we were running something around 18 or 19 mpg on the highway (decent clip if I may add, we probably could have gotten in the 20's had we been cruising a little slower) everywhere we bought straight gasonline. When we got into IL, with our wonderfull E10 (10% ethanol) we saw an immediate drop in mileage to 15-16. Now, it doesnt sound like much, but factor it in over the long haul and it's a lot. I've only noticed about a 10 mile difference per tank using gas here that's E10 vs straight gas, but it would add up realistically. And it is hard to notice moreso because I can suck a tank dry in a few hours, or I can ride all week, depending on if I'm just runnign back and forth to work or my girls, or if it's saturday night and I'm out looking for some fun/trouble. If you can buy straight fuel in your area in the octane rating you are looking for, I highly reccommend it, as you will notice better mileage over some time.

which companies have 100% gas? i run shell 93 octane, Gen II manual states no more than 5% ethanol...What gas is best????

:banghead:I believe Shell 93 is still 100%. BP may be also on their high test, but I dont remember exactly what my customer that runs their test lab told me. I believe it's fedral law that they have to display what % of alcohol is in a fuel, but I could be wrong and that may only be at a state level. Typically the higher octane rating fuels have little to 0 alcohol, but there is, according to my test lab friend, always a *POSSIBILITY* of a certain amount of alcohol in ANY fuel. Also, start expecting to see E12 and E15 at pumps in the next few years. Hope you all have +96my cars that will adapt and not hurt your mileage too much.:banghead:

Straight gasoline will almost always give a 10-12% increase in MPG. Alcohol, while having a higher octane rating, burns "colder" if you will. It's approx. 60% the efficiency of gasoline, IIRC. Driving a '95 Impala SS from San Diego to Chicago last fall, we were running something around 18 or 19 mpg on the highway (decent clip if I may add, we probably could have gotten in the 20's had we been cruising a little slower) everywhere we bought straight gasonline. When we got into IL, with our wonderfull E10 (10% ethanol) we saw an immediate drop in mileage to 15-16. Now, it doesnt sound like much, but factor it in over the long haul and it's a lot. I've only noticed about a 10 mile difference per tank using gas here that's E10 vs straight gas, but it would add up realistically. And it is hard to notice moreso because I can suck a tank dry in a few hours, or I can ride all week, depending on if I'm just runnign back and forth to work or my girls, or if it's saturday night and I'm out looking for some fun/trouble. If you can buy straight fuel in your area in the octane rating you are looking for, I highly reccommend it, as you will notice better mileage over some time.

You are correct about gasoline getting better mileage than alcohol.

My manual on page 2-2 states Gasoline / Ethanol Blends " may be used in your motorcycle if the ethanol content is not greater than 10%."

This is for Gen II bikes

GenI. There isn't a noticable difference I've found. 10% ethanol will help if you get a little water in the tank since alcohol will bond with the water and it will burn off without problems.

The Gen I manual stated not to use alcohol. Probably a good reason. I never question the manuals.

:banghead:I believe Shell 93 is still 100%. BP may be also on their high test, but I dont remember exactly what my customer that runs their test lab told me. I believe it's fedral law that they have to display what % of alcohol is in a fuel, but I could be wrong and that may only be at a state level. Typically the higher octane rating fuels have little to 0 alcohol, but there is, according to my test lab friend, always a *POSSIBILITY* of a certain amount of alcohol in ANY fuel. Also, start expecting to see E12 and E15 at pumps in the next few years. Hope you all have +96my cars that will adapt and not hurt your mileage too much.:banghead:

It is federal law that the % ethanol be clearly displayed at pump. You can smell it as well.

You have found out what a scam ethanol is. In every vehicle I own I have found the very same kind of numbers a 2 to 4 MPG decrease when using ethanol. It is only used to decrease tail pipe emissions. It is billed here in the great corn state of Iowa as a way to get us off foreign oil with those kind of numbers I dont see it working out very well. As far as harming your fuel system or engine it will not as long as it is not over 10%. You can also run up 5% methanol with out harm but I have never seen methanol used any where I have been. You guys really need to read your owners manual its in there on page 8 for my 2002. It will collect water right out of the air this is not good if you leave your bike sit for long periods like over winter also why it doesnt work out well in boats.:popcorn:

I worked extensively in the oil business. There is no federal law requiring notice of ethanol content. Moreover, most states have laws specifically providing that NO NOTICE is to be posted. You may be getting ethanol in your gasoline; you may not. Only the bulk plant where it is blended into the gasoline is it known for sure. Ethanol is the biggest scam ever forced on the public.

nobody around here sells reg. gas I'd run out of fuel trying to find it. I hope nothing damages my 04 by using this.:please:

I worked extensively in the oil business. There is no federal law requiring notice of ethanol content. Moreover, most states have laws specifically providing that NO NOTICE is to be posted. You may be getting ethanol in your gasoline; you may not. Only the bulk plant where it is blended into the gasoline is it known for sure. Ethanol is the biggest scam ever forced on the public.

To be clear, the two stations that I mentioned have huge signs that say,"100% Gasoline NO ETHANOL!"

I know I went from 34-36 mpg in my civic to 31-33 mpg with ethanol. I noticed the drop on the first tank of gas with 10% ethanol. I don't see where it is a savings when it takes more to do the same amout of work.

Back