ebonics 101 handbook gets cop fired

I did the same thing. Now "ghetto" is used to describe any area where like people gather.

I did the same thing.  Now "ghetto" is used to describe any area where like people gather.
So was Elvis racially profiling when he sang the song "In The Ghetto"?  Or was he being anti-semetic?  We speak English...

Hey Rod, want to go ridin sometime soon, jive turkey?!?
Fo sho dawg. Gots to be gettin me mines. Peace
peace.gif

Man the world is hypersensitive these days and for that reason what he did was stupid. if you serve the public in anyway you cant single out any part of it, it seems, in ANY way, good or bad. When Imus said "nappy headed hos" that sh*t was funny,and would be funny about any group of women. its just a funny sentence lol. but its a fact too when they play they have nappy ass heads from the sweat. they may not be ho's though. If Russ Parr had said the same thing it wouldve been funny and not as controversial.
If the words the cop put in that manual were in fact "ebonics" which does include a specific dialect and the author was in fact accurate in his work, he shouldve been fine except for the fact that he serves the public. he needs to write one for every racial and ethnic group to not be biased for or against one group.

double standard....kinda like i fly by at 100 and change and the soccer mom in the suv is shaking here fist at me goin 80. youre speeding too...get off the phone and get over it.

F dis crap yo!

Where can I be get me a copy of dis!!!

me haz been working in Brooklyn and need it!
cool.gif

Guy over at homeland security is suspended because he dressed as a black (colored?) guy with dreads in a prison costume.
I think if you work for the government, you must be especially careful. If the work involves interacting with the public, even more so.

From what I read, there was a lot of offensive stuff. Of course what is offensive to one, is usually funny to another.

look at what "Ina" said about this:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5751190
TEXT SIZE:  A A A A Search
abc13.com Web Superpages.com      

'Race' signs hung over high school water fountains By Kevin Quinn
(11/08/07 - KTRK/MISSOURI CITY, TX) - It's a high school shocker -- water fountains found labeled for "whites" and "colored." Was it an innocent prank? It's a sign of previous times that is stirring up emotion in Fort Bend County.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on ABC13.com:

Send news tips | RSS | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on air | Search abc13.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The handmade signs were only posted on the wall at Hightower High School for a matter of minutes, but many here feel that being posted for only a matter of seconds is far too long.

Fort Bend ISD police took a photo of the water fountains Wednesday afternoon inside Hightower High School. It's something you might expect to see in the 1960s, not 2007.

Two water fountains each had a handwritten sign above. One read "whites" and the other read "colored."

"Anybody would find that offensive," said Alice Gibson, aunt of a Hightower student. "Wouldn't you?"

"It would be interesting to see what was the kid's motivation," said Robert Ina, father of a Hightower student.

Campus police say they caught a 16-year-old student in the act of hanging the signs. School officials sent a letter home to parents on Thursday describing what had happened. The letter also explained that the teen was cited for allegedly committing a class C misdemeanor for disorderly conduct by an offensive gesture.

Nearly 57% of the students at Hightower High School are African American, and so is the student who stands accused of putting the signs on the wall. Some say that doesn't make this act any less offensive.

"A slur is a slur," said Gibson.

Hightower student Nefertari Edwards said, "Some people might have seen it as a joke, but it really wasn't that funny."

These signs come at a time of heightened racial sensitivity, especially because of nooses recently found at Pearland High School and in Jena, Louisiana. Still, some say what happened here does not equate to hate.

Ina said, "I don't think that it was anything to be racially motivated. I think it was just that there's so much of this going on across the country that some kid thought he could get a laugh out of it, probably."

Most everyone here agrees, though, that these signs and what they represent is no laughing matter.

"We all know," Gibson explained. "We all know that we really must be politically correct. No matter what you think, keep it to yourself."

Fort Bend ISD officials say the student wouldn't tell them what his motivation was. He has been suspended from school for three days. If convicted in court, he could be forced to pay a fine of up to $500.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)

lack of professionalism JMO
because he has a black wife doesn't mean a thing.
+1

And yes, I believe an officer of any color or race would have suffered the same fate. When your in a public position tied to politiacally held offices you must be very, very careful... just my .02.
what is color is the sky in your world?
rock.gif
what does that mean?
that there's different standards for different races, (and anybody that dosen't know that lives in a different world in their mind, or just ignores the news) and the proof came all too quickly.
just look at the story i just posted and ask yourself why wasn't he charged with a hate crime?

I won't get much more into this but had that pamphlet simply been called "Slang 101" he may have still had his job. Calling it "Ghetto Handbook: Ebonics 101", singles out a particular race.
That's exactly what I was thinking as I read the article...it was likely intended to just be a handbook so other officers could understand what slang is being used right now, but he failed horribly when he chose to name it what he did...
rolleyes_extreme.gif

I remember when we used to do stupid stuff that was against the law, because it was funny? It never used to become a national tragedy.

THANKS MEDIA, for blowing EVERYTHING out of proportion!!
tounge.gif
smile.gif

Good grief, who really cares. Ebonics is a lazy, unprofessional and undesireable version of the english language. so what if somebody decides to make a handbook to translate the crap. As political as policing has become he should have expected some backlash though.

Man the world is hypersensitive these days and for that reason what he did was stupid. if you serve the public in anyway you cant single out any part of it, it seems, in ANY way, good or bad. When Imus said "nappy headed hos" that sh*t was funny,and would be funny about any group of women. its just a funny sentence lol. but its a fact too when they play they have nappy ass heads from the sweat.  they may not be ho's though. If Russ Parr had said the same thing it wouldve been funny and not as controversial.
If the words the cop put in that manual were in fact "ebonics" which does include a specific dialect and the author was in fact accurate in his work, he shouldve been fine except for the fact that he serves the public. he needs to write one for every racial and ethnic group to not be biased for or against one group.

double standard....kinda like i fly by at 100 and change and the soccer mom in the suv is shaking here fist at me goin 80.  youre speeding too...get off the phone and get over it.
What?
rock.gif
?

The comment and adjectives Imus used were totally unappropoiate when he made that statement towards a group of young positive students. I also, believe and hope that public "leaders" would have jump on his ass if he made similar comment towards any other race of students attending a school function. Imus was totally out of character, either wanting to be Mr. Hip hop (cool)or trying to push the envelope walking a fine line racially using slang he heard from a cheesy ass rap song I guess.

And please don't respond making a prejudge statement saying it's ok for blacks to say it but not whites. You very seldom ever here the media reporting about black leaders,citizen and students that challenge and boycott the record labels and entertaners that promote negativity against their race and gender.
Bottom line, theres a time and a place for everything and his dumb azz choosed the wrong place to say the wrong thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, you said, they may not be HO's though.:cookoo: Why am I even waisting my time responding.

I won't get much more into this but had that pamphlet simply been called "Slang 101" he may have still had his job. Calling it "Ghetto Handbook: Ebonics 101", singles out a particular race.
That's exactly what I was thinking as I read the article...it was likely intended to just be a handbook so other officers could understand what slang is being used right now, but he failed horribly when he chose to name it what he did...  
rolleyes_extreme.gif
Same here!

everyone should be accountable for thier own actions. grown-ups especially. from the age that one learns right from wrong, people kinda know what to expect the outcome for thier actions will be. I agree with the department that just because he's married to a black woman doesn't make him free and clear. I'm married to a hispanic,( greatest family that I've ever met), but I have enough sense on knowing my limits on what to say and what not to in mixed company. the excuse that "my wife is hispanic... so it's ok" would probably still get my a$$ beat if I get outta line too far. good intent coupled with bad judgement got the best of him.it's all in the wording that he chose to use. now a days it seems all it takes is one person to take offense and everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. I believe that knowing street slang and gang signs are vital to officers safety, departments should come up with a non-offensive version of the handbook. just my .02

Back