cop demands free starbucks coffee

craigntx

Registered
Fla. Cop Fired for Demanding Free Coffee From Starbucks  

Starbucks Menu (MyFoxOrlando)  From MyFoxOrlando Reports

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.  --  A demand for special coffee cost a police officer his job (video: MyFoxOrlando) on Wednesday.

Lt. Major Garvin, a long-time officer with the Daytona Beach Police Department, was fired, accused by police of intimidating Starbucks' employees.

In an internal investigation report, employees at the Starbucks alleged Lt. Garvin was a frequent visitor, sometimes going in six times a shift. He would order white mocha's or passion iced teas and refuse to pay, allegedly saying officers get coffees for free.

Employees said officers do get coffee for free, but regular ones, not specialties.

After several arguments, employees said the lieutenant told them, "If something happens we could respond really fast or really slow.  I'm the difference between you getting a two minute response time or a 15 minute response time."

"I think it's sad," Daytona Beach Police Chief Michael Chitwood said. "First it makes us, in the policing profession look like a bunch of clowns for a free cup of coffee?  He makes $80,000-$90,000 a year. Why?"

The chief said after Lt. Garvin was confronted with the allegations, he demanded a polygraph test and failed.

A disappointed chief added he had no other choice but to fire the veteran officer.

"I'm personally hurt by this," the chief said. "I trusted him, and I personally put him in charge.  I skipped over other officers for his promotion."

It's not known if Garvin will appeal his firing.  
spank.gif

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox....&sflg=1

Yeah, I saw this on the news last night and I just had to laugh. What are some leo's thinking?
rock.gif
?

80k a year and he can't pay for a coffee... Sorry to all the good LEO's out there for tools like this... They make your job that much harder.

LEO's need to start reigning in their fricken clowns.

I have allways had respect for LEO's, I know alot of them personally, but I am seeing more and more a$$wipes in uniform and hearing more about these idiots abusing their power.

I know pretty well one of the motorcycle officers in our town, he was I think pretty much one of the first motorcycle officers on the force.

They just promoted two more guys to the motorcycle force.

These two guys are young and full of themselves. AND they are doing some stupid stuff on their motorcycles to the extent that people are calling in and reporting them.

I personally saw one of the guys tail gating a car and when the car hit its breaks because they were freaked out he was so close, he almost went down. I told my friend about it and we had a long discussion about the two and he told me the problems the department was having with them, especially the younger one (about 23 I think) apparently really cocky, doesnt listen too well to superiors, etc)

I dont know what is going on with police departments lately but it does seem like stuff like this is happening more and more.

That issue that was brought up the other day about two ladies being arrested at different times by the same police officers for apparently no good reason, officers are supposed to be here to protect and serve, not intimidate and harass.

So all you LEO's out there that are good and on the up and up, please reign in the a$$wipes working in your department, it really is starting to piss people off and the less respect the average person has for law enforcement the more difficult the job is going to become.

LEO's need to start reigning in their fricken clowns.

I have allways had respect for LEO's, I know alot of them personally, but I am seeing more and more a$$wipes in uniform and hearing more about these idiots abusing their power.

I know pretty well one of the motorcycle officers in our town, he was I think pretty much one of the first motorcycle officers on the force.

They just promoted two more guys to the motorcycle force.

These two guys are young and full of themselves. AND they are doing some stupid stuff on their motorcycles to the extent that people are calling in and reporting them.

I personally saw one of the guys tail gating a car and when the car hit its breaks because they were freaked out he was so close, he almost went down. I told my friend about it and we had a long discussion about the two and he told me the problems the department was having with them, especially the younger one (about 23 I think) apparently really cocky, doesnt listen too well to superiors, etc)

I dont know what is going on with police departments lately but it does seem like stuff like this is happening more and more.

That issue that was brought up the other day about two ladies being arrested at different times by the same police officers for apparently no good reason, officers are supposed to be here to protect and serve, not intimidate and harass.

So all you LEO's out there that are good and on the up and up, please reign in the a$$wipes working in your department, it really is starting to piss people off and the less respect the average person has for law enforcement the more difficult the job is going to become.
+1

Back in the day I always had my wallet out and money in hand when I got a coke or a cup of coffee. If the clerk told me it was free or on them then I would always ask if they were sure and with the response a very grateful Thank you.

I new of guys that would go in on days off and put their badge on their belt just so they could walk in a get a cup for free. I even watched an argument one time with an officers wife when she demanded that he get his food for the family at 50% off... On duty officers often get food for half price.

It crazy how a gift from business owners can quickly turn into a demand.

I will never get people.

cap

Just ruins it for all the good one's out there, what a shame

Sad.  Especially when so many cities are having budget problems and could use more officers...there are these yahoos out there giving people the wrong opinion of most officers.

And 6 visits per shift? He was either in Starbucks or the restroom. How could he get any police work done?

Back