ebonics 101 handbook gets cop fired

craigntx

Registered
wonder if a black cop would suffer the same fate
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5728407
TEXT SIZE: A A A A Search
abc13.com Web Superpages.com

Officer behind 'Ebonics 101' handbook fired by HISD By Jessica Willey
(10/26/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - An HISD police officer has been fired because he was behind a controversial handbook called "Ghetto Handbook: Ebonics 101." It's just one outcome of HISD's investigation, and only we obtained the report Friday afternoon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on ABC13.com:

Send news tips | RSS | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on air | Search abc13.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a booklet so controversial, that it has generated its own investigation report. After a two-month long probe, HISD's Office of Inspector General released its findings into the so-called 'Ghetto Handbook' and it clearly points the finger at one officer.

"It shows a tremendous lack of judgment ," said Terry Abbott with HISD. "The report shows that the document is tremendously offensive. It's not the kind of thing we can have going on in our police department."

The report says Officer Roby Morris, a 9-year veteran of HISD's police department passed out 12 copies of the handbook, which he made up at home, during morning roll call back in May. In it are supposed instructions for Ebonics 101, three pages of words like 'bling', 'peeps' and 'hoodrat.' The report concludes Morris worked alone.

For weeks, he's been on suspension. Thursday he got a notice that he's been fired.

"It's way blown out of proportion," said attorney David Donahue, who is part of Morris' legal team. "There was no malice, no intent, no racial motivation."

NAACP President Carol Mims Galloway, who was outraged from the first time we showed her the booklet, supports HISD's decision.

"It should send a message to any public entity employee," she said. "Everyone is sensitive when it comes to culture."

And it may be over. The report also gives a timeline that raises other questions. The handbook was distributed in May. Morris was reprimanded in writing in June. But it wasn't until the end of August that administrators learned of the incident.,

Spokesman Terry Abbott says it's possible others could be disciplined for not telling district officials about something so offensive.

"They do great work, but this is a case where clearly they failed," he said. Officer Morris plans to appeal the termination. His legal team wouldn't elaborate on his defense. The report says that his explanation that he's married to an African-American woman and has biracial children is not a good defense for creating the booklet.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)

lack of professionalism JMO
because he has a black wife doesn't mean a thing.

Dude should have known better.
It is not the intent that matters in this PC world.
What matters is the perception.

+1

And yes, I believe an officer of any color or race would have suffered the same fate. When your in a public position tied to politiacally held offices you must be very, very careful... just my .02.
what is color is the sky in your world?
rock.gif

I think he's right. the difference is who's head Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would have been calling for.

...Why is race even brought into this.  There are as many, if not more, white trash wannabes talking incorrectly than any one else.  
ohsnap1.gif

deadhorse.gif

+1

And yes, I believe an officer of any color or race would have suffered the same fate. When your in a public position tied to politiacally held offices you must be very, very careful... just my .02.
what is color is the sky in your world?
rock.gif
Never ask a color blind person what color something is...
wowold.gif

BTW does this emoticon count as ebonics?
werd.gif

What you see as blue may be what I see as purple but I know you define it as blue. My red may be your green but I understand it as red and think it is beautiful particularly when it is the color of a lady's hair. You may find that the same lady has what's effectively green hair but since it is called red to you it won't matter. You are taught to think it is beautiful.
lurk.gif

pulling race out of this, what was wrong with the pamphlet? Maybe I'm too out of touch, but isn't Ebonics a legitimately recognised language? if you didn't know what "Bling" meant and it could be life or death on your job, it might be important information. Please correct MY political incorrectiness, but Ebonics was petitioned to become a fully recognized language a few years ago by the people using it the most. I don't think the term Ghetto points to any particualr race either does it? I've seen white trash ghettos, as well as many other races... oops, does the term white trash offend anyone?

Again, I could be totally wrong here and please tell me strait out - or PM if ya prefer, I can take it. Like I said, I don't keep up on this stuff

pulling race out of this, what was wrong with the pamphlet?  Maybe I'm too out of touch, but isn't Ebonics a legitimately recognised language?  if you didn't know what "Bling" meant and it could be life or death on your job, it might be important information.  Please correct MY political incorrectiness, but Ebonics was petitioned to become a fully recognized language a few years ago by the people using it the most.  I don't think the term Ghetto  points to any particualr race either does it?  I've seen white trash ghettos, as well as many other races...   oops, does the term white trash offend anyone?

Again, I could be totally wrong here and please tell me strait out - or PM if ya prefer, I can take it.  Like I said, I don't keep up on this stuff
"Bling" is considered slang because not only blacks use this term. Ebonics (Ebony Linguistics) refers to the way African-Americans speak. That's why it was never brought into the school system. It basically meant "this is the way black people speak".

I won't get much more into this but had that pamphlet simply been called "Slang 101" he may have still had his job. Calling it "Ghetto Handbook: Ebonics 101", singles out a particular race.

Had he named it "Ghetto Handbook 101" he still may have suffered consequences. Like you said, there are ghettos of every culture. BUT, I'd assume ... key word there ... ASSUME most are found in black communities. I say that because one seldomly (if ever) hears a memeber of another culture say they were born, raised, or are living in a ghetto. Personally I've never heard a country/ western or rock-n-roll song in which the artist (prodominantly white)mentions a ghetto nor have I ever heard a merengue, salsa, or bachata artist (prodominantly latin) mention it. But I hear it plenty in rap music in which the artists are prodominantly black.

Just a stupid move. No matter what, in this day and age he should have known he was gonna get slammed.

I dont think he should have gotten fired from what I read here but their might be more to the story. I would like to see the book.

ah shh*t, dees mudderfuttas trippin!

promoting free speech is one thing...making kids unmarketable in their future by an educational authority figure is stupidy. why not teach pig latin?

Ok I get it now. Thanks for explaining. Perhaps that officer named it for the racially generic term of ghetto, but then by specifying Ebonics, made the whole thing point to a particular race - maybe not on purpose, or maybe he is a racist pig. who knows. yeah, SLANG 101 might have been better.

Incidentally, I just looked up "ghetto" to broaden my eeducation and it says a place where Jews were required to live. Man, racism just miff's me off! it's so stupid sometimes... ok, all the time

Back