DWI Laws are Draconian

No sympathy whatsoever. Anyone who drinks and get on the road deserves all that is directed at them. Most of the time the penalties are not severe enough.
mad.gif

Hopefully Chris,you didn't post this seeking an' ally.

You friend got some harsh comments thrown at him,and so did you.

Not sure wether or not you were expecting that.

Rubbah likes to have a drink. Rubbah got a friendly warning from a nice guy cop about 10 years ago. I wasn't drunk,but I was guilty of driving under the influence,I had had a drink. Guilty. The cop gave me a 24 hour suspension. That was 10 years ago. I have not had one single drop of booze and driven anything since. 10+ years.

When given a chance or a break,you need to accept the wake up call.

Yer buddy might have a drinking problem,but to me thats just a cry babies cover up. He will now do the time.

I'm all for second chances in life. Nobody is perfect.But sooner or later you have to man up. He CHOSE not to.

Here's a couple of photo's of my last run in with a drunk driver.

He was on a 24 suspension (for DWI) when he did this to me.

He was given a chance to wise up.To man up. He declined.

Picture_1.jpg

I have no problem with the punishment your friend is receiving. I'd add on that he doesn't get his driver's license back until at least 10yrs sober. Your friend has a serious problem, you should really try and keep him sober.

My only complaint about this topic is that rich and famous do not receive this type of punishment!
mad.gif
All those repeat drunk stars and rich f#$%s need to be in jail with your friend.

Your friend deserves this sentence just for stupidity alone.

Why do people have such a problem taking responsibility for their actions, particularly when the consequences are so clearly laid out.

The inference that strict sentences should be reserved for real criminals shows a lack of objective thinking on your part. True, drunk drivers don't kill someone every time they commit the offense, but we all watch the news and know that it happens with great regularity. I'm a gambler myself, but when you gamble with an innocent person's life, it's a whole different story.

Lastly, I'm sick and tired of drunks and drug users hiding behind the "disease" card. They got that way because of their own actions, and will not change until they decide themselves that that's what they want to do. Being mandated or pushed into treatment is a losing battle because there is no commitment or buy in from the abuser.

co worker had the same type of problems... only difference was his third offense came at the expense of killing a pregnate woman..

they started to put him in jail at the second offense.. DUI/no license They suspended the sentence because he was a good guy other than the alcohol... 4 months later... dead mother, dead baby.

you'll find no sympathy from me.

If anything I would be pushing for jail time after the first offense.

Why didnt you just let him sleep on the couch? Problem solved.........this time.

Just my opinion here, but yes, he is a criminal that should be in prison. He endangers the lives of others every single time he rolls out after drinkin'. If he hit and killed one of my family members while drunk the death penalty wouldn't be enough to cover my loss. Drinking and driving is just plain fuggin' STUPID and should carry insane penalties. I don't think the penalties are stiff enough. Maybe his jail stay will give him enough sober time to think about where he's headed.

And I'm not baggin' on your buddy personally, I'm just layin' out how I feel about drunk drivers. It doesn't matter who they might be...

And wow... I replied before I ever read any of the replies and then read them expecting a more mixed response. Appears more people share my views on this than I thought.
biggrin.gif

bomb.gif
Your friend is lucky he is not dead or maimed and the same for the people on the street around him. His whole life could be much worse off if he did hurt someone. I've had a best friend killed by a drunk driver and the laws in my opinion  should be much tougher. The yahoo was still driving and drinking the week after the judge took away his license. They should of locked him up immediately.

if you want my advise your friend needs to plead his case to a judge properly. he needs to go into court and show that he is sorry for what he has done. maybe start aaa classed prior to going to court. sometimes when you do things like that it aids in a better outcome.
however i will say this. i have been a paramedic for 6 years and a firefighter for 8. and i don't get agrivated by idiots easily, however i have a strong disliking for waking up at 3 in the morning for an accident involving a dui. now your friend might not have hurt anyone but maybe that was because of good police work. unfortunatly citizens don't always veiw it like that. i don't know where you are from but maybe one of my family members would have gotted hurt if the police hadn't stopped him.
please don't take this the wrong way. i am just playing the devils advocate

And wow... I replied before I ever read any of the replies and then read them expecting a more mixed response. Appears more people share my views on this than I thought.
biggrin.gif
My guess is that we all know someone that's been hit or killed by a drunk driver (rubbersidedown is still paying the price for the drunk driver that took him out) or that many of us may even know offenders in our own circle of friends and family and just cringe knowing they continue to do it...

I lost a loved one because HE was the one drinking and riding his CBR...as much as I miss him, I am pissed that he wasn't smarter...
mad.gif
sad.gif

biggrin.gif
My guess is that we all know someone that's been hit or killed by a drunk driver (rubbersidedown is still paying the price for the drunk driver that took him out) or that many of us may even know offenders in our own circle of friends and family and just cringe knowing they continue to do it...

I lost a loved one because HE was the one drinking and riding his CBR...as much as I miss him, I am pissed that he wasn't smarter...
mad.gif
sad.gif
That's probably it. The more mature crowd that this forum is made up of has been around long enough to see the consequences.
wink.gif

Ah, feel the love...

But seriously, your friend does have a real alcohol problem. He is obviously intoxicated enough to get a LEOs attention, and that many times is serious business.

Whenever I have a lot to drink, that is when I'd really like to get on my bike. It's hard, but, I find something else to do. The thing is a cop magnet, and .1 is as good as 1.1 in court. Bikes don't usually do that much damage to cars, but I don't want to end up mangled, and have a sentence to face when I get out of the hospital. Besides that, I feel I owe it to my wife to not put her through all the misery that could come from a weak moment. I could hit a pedestrian too, or cause a multi-car pile up.

I have a brother-in-law who is facing that one more charge and he goes situation. He tells his ex that they won't catch him this time (like they did the other four times -- he has to pay a $1000 fee just to renew his license).

They have AA in prison.

Never knew anyone arrested or killed from a DUI ... only one story here.

A friend had a 4 co-workers comming back from a christmas party (car pool) and a drunk driver crossed over the lane ... everyone died in the crash. (this was from several years ago ... in Texas)

There one day and gone the next ... because someone wanted to have a "good time" or "forget the past" they forgot about the future.

Better to put him in a jail cell than a pine box.  It's not like he didn't know the consequences of getting caught.  And it is not 80,000 a year to house him.

Would you rather your wife or GF see him in his casket or passed out on your couch.  

You said you don't condone drinking an driving, yet you were with hime 2 of the 3 times and his transportation was his bike.  Yeah right, so when do you actually try to stop him?  After he's drunk or before he starts drinkin while riding his bike?  Quite the friend you are.:O
So sorry for the late response.

Thanks for everyone’s comments (flames) included. I agree with the majority of comments regarding the moral responsibility of driving sober. I also wanted to reiterate that I was not defending his actions, only questioning the “rehabilitative effect†of prison on an alcoholic.

I also wanted to clear up some confusion.

I DO NOT DRIVE WHILE INTOXICATED!

I don’t even drink with regularity. However at the time my friend had came over my mother had recently passed away, so I was under a little duress. There are many on the board that know me personally. My normal “drinking†consists of under 3 beverages at a sitting and at 6’4†and 250#. My BAC I doubt exceeded .04 at any point.

As far as not being a “friendâ€, well, I don’t see it, but maybe I’m an ass. I am not a “bar†and do not sell alcohol. I do not have a business license (for refreshments anyway). I am not “open†to the public. I will not assault someone (punch in face) to get their keys from them nor will I kidnap them either (hold against their will).

I am responsible for MYSELF only. I care deeply for people and have devoted my life to helping others. But I will not live someone else’s life for them. I offer recommendations only, if a person chooses not to follow them that is their problem, friend or not.

I encourage “squids†all the time not to do “squid-ish†things on public roads in traffic. I, however, won’t take their keys from them, saying “Now I told you about wheeling in traffic. You could have hurt someone.†Someone could get shot that way.

Same basic principle as the drinking thing. IMHO.

I am hesitant about even replying but I wanted to clear the air. I don’t want people forming an opinion of me based upon some of the replies in this thread.

Oh and the $80,000 a year statement. He said he was going to get his teeth fixed “on-state†as they say. I figured that had to cost the taxpayers some additional money.
smile.gif

Have a dandy day,
Chris

Just a little insight as to Tennessee law. His case would probably be considered as a "Habitual Motor Vehicle Offender" which is a felony in the state of Tennessee. Once they are classified as this, it doesn't matter if they're drunk or not. Just being behind the wheel gets a felony charge. My father got caught in this. He was an alcoholic that never learned his lesson. The state trooper that arrestedhim said if he'd known where he was, he may have let him go. He didn't, so the trooper put him on the machine. He blew a .36. Doctor's say they can operate without an anesthetic at .38. He spent a year in the penal system. When his "Friend" picked him up, he met him with a fifth of whiskey. Guess where he wound up after that? Just a few years later, dead of cirrhosis. Yes treatment would help. The problem is, speak to AA. If your friend doesn't want help, nothing works. No matter how bad he gets, until he WANTS help, it's a waste of time and money. While he's in jail, at least he's not hurting someone. No flames, just tough love. I wish him luck.

Dan

Back