Speeding Penalties

before i deployed i got pulled over in my car and i was doing 75 in a 40 and got popped with $300 ticket but i dont go to court when i know i did something wrong. i get those tickets that say how much i owe and i send a check lol

Up to 30 over and its a speeding ticket. 30 and over is a court date. Stupid they just changed it. It use to be didn't matter how fast you were going to just got a huge ticket the faster you went. Now its a court date with possible jail time. For Speeding. Not wreckless driving or endagerment or killing someone. Speeding. I speed all the time. Mainly keep pace with traffic. On the highway I get passed by minivans. I am usually rollin 80 - 90 mph on the highway. And usually 10 over the speed limit.

(JuiceSC @ Jun. 14 2007,15:21)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ Jun. 14 2007,11:59)
(LadyHawk @ Jun. 14 2007,12:26) That's a little harsh I think..

A little over a year ago I got popped for 95 in a 40. $350 fine and 3 points off my license.
55 over and only 3 points.... You must be very special Brenda..
biggrin.gif
I was thinking the same thing!  
laugh.gif
She must have flashed some skin, shed some tears or something. Women always seem to get breaks, especially the hotties. The big Q: what was put on the ticket for speed? 55 over is an automatic suspension in PA. 31 or more over actually.
Hmmm, and to think I was pi$$ed at the time.
laugh.gif
Guess I got off lucky.

Didn't flash any skin, didn't cry... just took it like a good girl should. Although in court the cop DID say when I took off my helmet he was shocked that I was a woman.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Ladyhawk, that makes more sense now that you were riding the bike. It has been my experience that I get more brakes on the bike vs car as far as how fast I was going. I always stop and take it like a man, and usually I just get an a$$ chewing&warning from the LEO, or a 'no-points fine only' ticket.<< Those have been popular around here lately. I guess if you don't lose the license and pay the fine, you can keep driving and paying more fines.
laugh.gif

eek2.gif

Last time i was pulled over and issued a ticket was in Dec 2005, just days before my unit was scheduled to deploy to the middle east. I was clocked @ 123 in a 60 and thought for sure i was going to jail so i pulled right over when i saw the cops flip his lights on. I stopped and looked back and saw he wasn't even trying to catch up to me. A minute later he pulled up behind me on the shoulder and flipped his lights back on. He walked up and we talked for a couple minutes then he wrote me a ticket for 84 in a 60 so that i could take defensive driving and have the ticket dismissed. He told me he "hooked up" the ticket because he couldn't believe that i stopped and waited for him to catch up and he originally had no intention on chasing me because he didn't think he would catch me. Using that same thought process i would think he would just let me go but i was going way too fast and should have been going to jail so i didn't argue. The next morning i went to the courthouse to pay the ticket since i was leaving in two days and would not have time to mess with it later. The clerk said to come back in a week so they would have time to process the paperwork and have the ticket in the computer system. This was obviously not an option for me so I asked to see the judge if he was not too busy to discuss my options. It was a small town courthouse and it was early in the morning so it was not a problem to talk to him. I explained my situation and showed him my military ID and a copy of my orders transfering me overseas and he dismissed the ticket on the spot. I've been an MP for years and we have what we call "proffesional courtesy", basically we will not issue a ticket to another cop. I guess the judge extended a military courtesy to me, anyway you look at it the cop hooked me up then the judge took care of me.

On a military installation it is up to the post commander but when i worked patrol the general rule was 20mph over or more you were getting detained until your 1SGT could come get you; you wouldn't believe how many grown men i have seen cry when the found out that the only person that could come get them out was the 1SGT. That was far worse than any fine we could impose.

i live in the UK and here u mainly get cught by speed cameras rather than cops.
The good thing is:
1. It doesnt matter how much you were over teh speed limit if its more than 5mph you get a standard £100 ($200) fine but if youre 50 mph over same fine.
2. if you are going at more than 50 mph over the speed limit the camera misses you altogether.

137 in a 55, cop wrote me for 97 because I pulled over. Also so he didn't have to take me straight to jail. Ticket was a mandatory appearence.....90 days in jail, 85 suspended, 5 days community service, $497 in fines, 60 day restricted license. You can find my beloved, pristine 03' on ebay right now.....any infraction in the next 60 days, I loose my lic for a year and do 85 days in jail. Still sore from my first day of comm ser, moved rocks with the other convicts for 6 hours.....I'm out, you all have fun......

Shid! Time to take up golf and sell the bike. Maybe I'll quite dating all the hot looking chicks and go for the fat ones!

Here in my province (Alberta, Canada) if your caught doing 50 kph (30 mph) over the posted speed limit or double the posted speed limit (70 kph in a 30 kph zone, I'll use a play ground zone as an example) You get an automatic court appearance, Automatic 30 day license suspension and your mode of transportation that day gets impounded for 30 days. Oh and I almost forgot, the fines start after that. Now all of this is up to the officer that pulled you over, it would be in your best interest to start begging for forgiveness the moment he starts talking to you.

To compound things more the maximum amount of time a vehicle can be impounded here is 30 days. Once your car is impounded, if there for more than 30 days it will go up for auction at the next impound auction. There is no way you can get your car out before that 30 days is up. So the day your car comes off of being impounded you best be down there with all the proper papers ready to pick your baby up. If not you either say goodbye or your in a bidding war with some guy who wants your vehicle as bad as you do.

But like with anything else you have to pay to play. If you get caught driving at those speeds be prepared for the full extent of the law.

Happy Speeding
smile.gif

CB

(TallTom @ Jun. 14 2007,12:22) I just went to court last week for a ticket I got in my truck.   While there, there was a kid that got popped for 117 in a 55 on a GSXR 750.  He got 2 tickets.  He had no defense and the judge levied the maximum fine per ticket plus court cost plus points.  No school option.  Judge gave him 6 months to pay or he would lose his license. (Like $2300).  Stupid stupid stupid kid.

Guys if you speed, be prepared to realize that you can't go to court with no defense to your actions.  The judges can get very pissy about it.

Claimed 45 in a 30 on the ticket.  I successfully fought mine and it was dimissed because I proved the cop had no clue if the radar was valid or not.  And he couldn't prove he tracked my speed by any other means.  He issued 27 tickets that day.  Every vehicle was travelling 45 according to his documented radar results (He was nice enough to actually write the radar measured speed on each ticket).  Stupid stupid stupid cop.  He has to explain to a judge how every car is speeding at exactly the same speed and nobody is passing anyone.  I came to court fully prepared to fight on various fronts, including his personell record that shows he is in anger management courses due to civillian complaints lodged against him.  I had every citation he issued that day, and the documented requirement issued by his own department and state statute that says a radar unit must be field calibrated at each enforcement location prior to measuring speed for the purposes of enforcement.  The cop was nice enough to document that he had done a calibration at 0800 before even coming to my location at 10:30.  If he would have done his job, he would have done the required test in the field and seen that the unit was picking up a high power transformer interference less than 100 yards from where he was positioned.  None of us were doing 45.  Of the 27 tickets he wrote, only me and 3 others came to court that day.  So they get revenues from 23 tickets all over $150 each.  My 3 witnesses got a dismissal by virtue of my arguing my ticket and thiers being written in exactly the same manner.

Don't be afraid to fight, but you better have a good reason for the judge to listen to your argument.
If you own a busa and went to court for a ticket you got in your TRUCK..... shame on you!!!!!! LOL!

newbie.gif

Get a Valentine one radar detector. Download the app YAV1 from app store. This setup is superior to any other radar detector I ever tried. The reason it works so good is there is NO DELAY as when the V1 goes off as to when you hear it on bluetooth in your helmet. Yep, no doubt the v1, blue tooth for it, bluetooth for your helmet will cost about $500, but man c'mon, it has to be worth it. Since I been using this setup, I never got a ticket in over 8 years. V1 is extremely sensitive and that's ok. No friggin ticket though!! If the YAV1 app gets buggy, restart your phone. Also, download the V1 app too and turn it on first, then VAV1 in that order. Have a try out spot, say a door radar so you can make sure it's coming through in your helmet. Forget those lights, loud speakers. The cops got you before you react to those, but you WILL react to the chime in your helmet split second. You still have to do your part though. California highway patrol will hide behind overpass supports. But most of the time I'll get a bounce off wave when they clock another car. So even if you hear one chime, shut down, because there is a radar somewhere close.

Back