Speeding Penalties

Hale2pay

Registered
I’m asking this question because a friend I ride with was stopped doing 117mph in a 65 mph zone and was given a ticket. His court date was this past Monday 6/11/2007. When his name was called he when before the judge and plead guilty He was expecting a hefty fine ($700 – $900), but instead was given 30 days in jail. He was quite shocked and had his family contact an attorney who was able to get him out after two days, but only with these conditions: 40 hours community service, can’t ride his bike for a year, can only drive to work or church for 6 months, and if he is stopped for any violation with in the next year he will go back and do the 30 day plus anytime the judge sees fit to add to his sentence.

I was thinking this was a very harsh sentence for a speeding ticket, and he must not be telling me the whole story. My wife works for another judge in the same courthouse and ask the secretary of the judge who handled the case and she stated that not only was this normal but that it was a mandatory sentence in our parish (county for those not in Louisiana) for a speeding ticket at that speed.

Does this seem excessive to any of you in other parts of the country? I know it certainly caused me to slow down.

hell if I know....
all_coholic.gif

I just went to court last week for a ticket I got in my truck. While there, there was a kid that got popped for 117 in a 55 on a GSXR 750. He got 2 tickets. He had no defense and the judge levied the maximum fine per ticket plus court cost plus points. No school option. Judge gave him 6 months to pay or he would lose his license. (Like $2300). Stupid stupid stupid kid.

Guys if you speed, be prepared to realize that you can't go to court with no defense to your actions. The judges can get very pissy about it.

Claimed 45 in a 30 on the ticket. I successfully fought mine and it was dimissed because I proved the cop had no clue if the radar was valid or not. And he couldn't prove he tracked my speed by any other means. He issued 27 tickets that day. Every vehicle was travelling 45 according to his documented radar results (He was nice enough to actually write the radar measured speed on each ticket). Stupid stupid stupid cop. He has to explain to a judge how every car is speeding at exactly the same speed and nobody is passing anyone. I came to court fully prepared to fight on various fronts, including his personell record that shows he is in anger management courses due to civillian complaints lodged against him. I had every citation he issued that day, and the documented requirement issued by his own department and state statute that says a radar unit must be field calibrated at each enforcement location prior to measuring speed for the purposes of enforcement. The cop was nice enough to document that he had done a calibration at 0800 before even coming to my location at 10:30. If he would have done his job, he would have done the required test in the field and seen that the unit was picking up a high power transformer interference less than 100 yards from where he was positioned. None of us were doing 45. Of the 27 tickets he wrote, only me and 3 others came to court that day. So they get revenues from 23 tickets all over $150 each. My 3 witnesses got a dismissal by virtue of my arguing my ticket and thiers being written in exactly the same manner.

Don't be afraid to fight, but you better have a good reason for the judge to listen to your argument.

Also, on reasonable speeding tickets (ie less than 30mph over limit),most of the time you can talk to the officer and plea bargain to a lower speed and reduce the points you get. This ofcourse won't work if your doing tripple digits on a sportbike. I wonder why that is?
eek2.gif

(Hale2pay @ Jun. 14 2007,12:30) I’m asking this question because a friend I ride with was stopped doing 117mph in a 65 mph zone and was given a ticket.  His court date was this past Monday 6/11/2007.  When his name was called he when before the judge and plead guilty He was expecting a hefty fine ($700 – $900), but instead was given 30 days in jail.  He was quite shocked and had his family contact an attorney who was able to get him out after two days, but only with these conditions:  40 hours community service, can’t ride his bike for a year, can only drive to work or church for 6 months, and if he is stopped for any violation with in the next year he will go back and do the 30 day plus anytime the judge sees fit to add to his sentence.

I was thinking this was a very harsh sentence for a speeding ticket, and he must not be telling me the whole story.  My wife works for another judge in the same courthouse and ask the secretary of the judge who handled the case and she stated that not only was this normal but that it was a mandatory sentence in our parish (county for those not in Louisiana) for a speeding ticket at that speed.

Does this seem excessive to any of you in other parts of the country?  I know it certainly caused me to slow down.
If he did the 30 days would he still have lost his liscense, and his bike for a year ?

If it was me 30 days ain't JACK !!!!!!!!!!!!
But for someone who never been locked up before I could see them not wanting to. Not to mention if it would cost him his job !! I know nobody wants to sit in the loser house, but I could not deal with not riding for a year !!!!
 Knock on wood, but every time I got hit, the cop always knocked it down some. But I also haven't got nailed on my bike .................. YET !

I've been riding the twisty's lately, because every time I'm on the highway I want to just fly.

and on the BUSA........... how many times have you looked down at the speedometer, and caught yourself going 110 --- 120, and did the OH SHEEET !!! Then look around for Johnny law ?

I kind of understand the cop's way of looking at it too, when they catch you going that fast, and get upset with us.  Just think how many times they have had to go notify someones parents that thier baby is gone because they wrecked speeding on thier bike !!! My father was a Delaware State cop, and he said that is by far the worst part of the job .

He was over 100, in many places thats criminal speeding and can get your bike impounded and you go to jail on the spot. If you get a ticket at that speed and dont go to jail right away higher a lawyer, he may not get you off, but going to court without him woud be like going to the doctor without insurance.

That's a little harsh I think..

A little over a year ago I got popped for 95 in a 40. $350 fine and 3 points off my license.

(Hale2pay @ Jun. 14 2007,09:30) I’m asking this question because a friend I ride with was stopped doing 117mph in a 65 mph zone and was given a ticket.  His court date was this past Monday 6/11/2007.  When his name was called he when before the judge and plead guilty He was expecting a hefty fine ($700 – $900), but instead was given 30 days in jail.  He was quite shocked and had his family contact an attorney who was able to get him out after two days, but only with these conditions:  40 hours community service, can’t ride his bike for a year, can only drive to work or church for 6 months, and if he is stopped for any violation with in the next year he will go back and do the 30 day plus anytime the judge sees fit to add to his sentence.

I was thinking this was a very harsh sentence for a speeding ticket, and he must not be telling me the whole story.  My wife works for another judge in the same courthouse and ask the secretary of the judge who handled the case and she stated that not only was this normal but that it was a mandatory sentence in our parish (county for those not in Louisiana) for a speeding ticket at that speed.

Does this seem excessive to any of you in other parts of the country?  I know it certainly caused me to slow down.
Was this guy's name London "HILTON"
laugh.gif

(LadyHawk @ Jun. 14 2007,12:26) That's a little harsh I think..

A little over a year ago I got popped for 95 in a 40. $350 fine and 3 points off my license.
55 over and only 3 points.... You must be very special Brenda..
biggrin.gif

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Jun. 14 2007,11:59)
(LadyHawk @ Jun. 14 2007,12:26) That's a little harsh I think..

55 over and only 3 points.... You must be very special Brenda..
biggrin.gif
I was thinking the same thing!
laugh.gif
She must have flashed some skin, shed some tears or something. Women always seem to get breaks, especially the hotties. The big Q: what was put on the ticket for speed? 55 over is an automatic suspension in PA. 31 or more over actually.

A new law went into effect here in Oregon last year:

Over 100 MPH = $1100 fine, and 90 day suspension, and vehicle impounded, and possible jail time... not to mention anything else they try to stick you with.

30 over the limit = reckless driving which is $500 + etc, and possible license suspension.

So if you are doing 85 in a 55, its an automatic reckless... which is REALLY easy to do when spirited riding in the twisties.

So, lets be real... I don't condone running from the LEO... But if a rider is already doing over 100 MPH, how many do you think are going to stop? And then the local media wonders why so many sportbikes are now making high speed getaways. Who wants to just pull over and "take their medicine" when they know the consequences are so outrageous?

He regrets going to court without a lawyer, but he never dreamed they would lock him up. I feel bad for him but that hasn’t stopped me from calling him Paris and singing 30 days in the hole by Humble Pie every time I talk to him.

117 in a 65. option 1 in SC 6 points $440 bucks, the money might vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, option 2 reckless driving = jail . Anything over 25 considered reckless.

(TallTom @ Jun. 14 2007,10:22) I just went to court last week for a ticket I got in my truck. While there, there was a kid that got popped for 117 in a 55 on a GSXR 750. He got 2 tickets. He had no defense and the judge levied the maximum fine per ticket plus court cost plus points. No school option. Judge gave him 6 months to pay or he would lose his license. (Like $2300). Stupid stupid stupid kid.

Guys if you speed, be prepared to realize that you can't go to court with no defense to your actions. The judges can get very pissy about it.

Claimed 45 in a 30 on the ticket. I successfully fought mine and it was dimissed because I proved the cop had no clue if the radar was valid or not. And he couldn't prove he tracked my speed by any other means. He issued 27 tickets that day. Every vehicle was travelling 45 according to his documented radar results (He was nice enough to actually write the radar measured speed on each ticket). Stupid stupid stupid cop. He has to explain to a judge how every car is speeding at exactly the same speed and nobody is passing anyone. I came to court fully prepared to fight on various fronts, including his personell record that shows he is in anger management courses due to civillian complaints lodged against him. I had every citation he issued that day, and the documented requirement issued by his own department and state statute that says a radar unit must be field calibrated at each enforcement location prior to measuring speed for the purposes of enforcement. The cop was nice enough to document that he had done a calibration at 0800 before even coming to my location at 10:30. If he would have done his job, he would have done the required test in the field and seen that the unit was picking up a high power transformer interference less than 100 yards from where he was positioned. None of us were doing 45. Of the 27 tickets he wrote, only me and 3 others came to court that day. So they get revenues from 23 tickets all over $150 each. My 3 witnesses got a dismissal by virtue of my arguing my ticket and thiers being written in exactly the same manner.

Don't be afraid to fight, but you better have a good reason for the judge to listen to your argument.
bowdown.gif

117 in 65 is... let me subtract... 52 over. One has to have no clue to just go to court with 52 over and expect something positive.

I recently received a 121 in 50 ticket, and "following too close" ticket. Went straight to the lawyer. So far he postponed the hearing until October, and then you know, if the cop does not show up..., or postpone again, etc. There are a number of things an attorney can do.

Remember, a judge is doing it all day long and for many years. They've heard all the stories and have no sympathy for speeders.

(SpeedGeek @ Jun. 14 2007,12:27) A new law went into effect here in Oregon last year:

Over 100 MPH = $1100 fine, and 90 day suspension, and vehicle impounded, and possible jail time... not to mention anything else they try to stick you with.

30 over the limit = reckless driving which is $500 + etc, and possible license suspension.

So if you are doing 85 in a 55, its an automatic reckless... which is REALLY easy to do when spirited riding in the twisties.

So, lets be real...  I don't condone running from the LEO... But if a rider is already doing over 100 MPH, how many do you think are going to stop?  And then the local media wonders why so many sportbikes are now making high speed getaways.  Who wants to just pull over and "take their medicine" when they know the consequences are so outrageous?
VIII. Excessive bail, fines, punishement etc. prohibited,

LEARN OUR CONSTITUTION PEOPLE!

" http://freedompage.home.mindspring.com/rulebook.html "

If the courts dont obey, then a Revolution II is coming!

PREAMBLE:

Limiting the federal government: An expressed desire to prevent abuse of federal powers!
ARTICLES - COMMON LAW
I. Religious freedom, both to an establishment as well as the free exercise thereof; freedom of speech, press; right of petition.
II. Right to bear arms.
III. Quartering of soldiers.
IV. The right to privacy and security against unreasonable searches and seizures: search warrants.
V. Grand Jury, double jeopardy, no one must witness against himself, no loss of life, liberty or private property without due process.
VI. Speedy and public trials, impartial jury; nature and cause, right to confront; compulsory witnesses, assistance of Counsel - (note: does not say attorney.)
VII. Right to trial by jury according to the rules of common law - (note: Ten Commandements are the foundation of Common Law.)
IX. Rights beyond Bill of Rights belong to the people.
X. Undelegated powers belong to the people unless given by the people to the states.
Articles I-X were proposed September 25th, 1789, and ratified December 15th, 1791.

(FalconofFreedom @ Jun. 14 2007,15:37)
(SpeedGeek @ Jun. 14 2007,12:27) A new law went into effect here in Oregon last year:

So, lets be real...  I don't condone running from the LEO... But if a rider is already doing over 100 MPH, how many do you think are going to stop?  And then the local media wonders why so many sportbikes are now making high speed getaways.  Who wants to just pull over and "take their medicine" when they know the consequences are so outrageous?

LEARN OUR CONSTITUTION PEOPLE!

" http://freedompage.home.mindspring.com/rulebook.html "

If the courts dont obey, then a Revolution II is coming!

PREAMBLE:

Limiting the federal government: An expressed desire to prevent abuse of federal powers!
ARTICLES - COMMON LAW
I. Religious freedom, both to an establishment as well as the free exercise thereof; freedom of speech, press; right of petition.
II. Right to bear arms.
III. Quartering of soldiers.
IV. The right to privacy and security against unreasonable searches and seizures: search warrants.
V. Grand Jury, double jeopardy, no one must witness against himself, no loss of life, liberty or private property without due process.
VI. Speedy and public trials, impartial jury; nature and cause, right to confront; compulsory witnesses, assistance of Counsel - (note: does not say attorney.)
VII. Right to trial by jury according to the rules of common law - (note: Ten Commandements are the foundation of Common Law.)
IX. Rights beyond Bill of Rights belong to the people.
X. Undelegated powers belong to the people unless given by the people to the states.
Articles I-X were proposed September 25th, 1789, and ratified December 15th, 1791.
The problem is that what is considered excessive is relative!

Back