Dreaded Clutch knock...

Maybe....I'm kind of OCD about such things...but if I get no love on a new gasket, I will be chancing it...

The big takeaway is I'm sure glad I found the issue....
Oh man I must have opened my clutch cover like 10 times easy and not changed the gasket. Just keep an eye on it after the first rides and tighten up the bolts a bit if you have to. Ride today cuz tommorow may never come.

Oh man I must have opened my clutch cover like 10 times easy and not changed the gasket. Just keep an eye on it after the first rides and tighten up the bolts a bit if you have to. Ride today cuz tommorow may never come.
SAME! I think I got a new gasket for the stator cover only because I got a whole new cover. Otherwise I reuse if it looks good! No leaks here

OK, you and @sixpack577 have convinced me to try and reuse that gasket...

Did you use any sort of sealer?

I would only use sealer without the gasket, as the inner edge of the gasket has absorbed oil into the gasket, and the sealant will not adhere well to the oil in the pours of the gasket material.
For what you're doing as a short term/get you by fix, it's not worth the clean up when you do replace it, even though it would just peel off.
Wipe off the old gasket and tourque it, done....go riding until it snows...fix properly over winter for piece of mind.

(...) .as soon as I put a socket to the carrier bolts...3 of them were loose (really loose) with one almost at the end of it's threads and was just starting to contact the cover enough to remove a very thin layer of paint.(...)
bee? the heck - damn

what did i write more than 1 times - check the f..king carrier bolts in the clutch - and that at ALL haya delivered till 2012 !
you lucky man - you were 1/1000 inch away from a huge demage as shown here at my page - DAMN!
nkleben%20-%20ALLE%20Hayabusa%20&%20B-King_Seite_1.jpg

nkleben%20-%20ALLE%20Hayabusa%20&%20B-King_Seite_2.jpg

and again and again i strongly demand the research of the carrier bolts if they are "glued / loc-tited" in

and here again the spec. sound of - only - a loose screw (the carrier bolt was yet not loose)
it scratched the cover´s inside

hint:
the paper-cover-seal you can substitute by a "fluid / creamy" temperature-resistant sealant (from a tube)
will fit fine and no stress with distances cover / clutch hub / screws
there is enough space between

the std. paper-seal under the clutch-cover is not really necessary ;)

Last edited:
OK, you and @sixpack577 have convinced me to try and reuse that gasket...

Did you use any sort of sealer?
hi bee

yes for 101 % security you can smere a lill layer of sealer at both sides of the old cover seal

but if bike is on the side stand (with blocked front brake) you can 1st try without and if it really leaks, after a short test motorrun, open again and add the sealant.
easy job :)
only a drop or two of oil will come out - put a cloth underneath and you won't even dirty the floor

and if not on the side stand but in upright pos. ,
get a pot of bit more than 1.5 liter because only .8-.9 liters of oil will flow out the opened clutch.
refill the leak-oil after repair and all will be ok
(I practice this at hayabusas 6-10 times / year)

and if you have a "silver/grey" surfaced seal (a kind of carbon) it should work (seal) without an added sealant.

if it leaks despite adding sealant
DON´t torque the screws over 10 (abs. max 11) Nm or youre in biggest danger of ripping out the inner thread in the aluminim and then :( + lots of trouble ´n stress :(

Last edited:
Started up the Bumblebee in preparation for a short ride and when it started up I heard a slight knock coming from the clutch at idle, I let the clutch out and the knock gets a little louder then when I pull the clutch in the knock gets quieter. I can feel the knock on the clutch cover with my hand.

I didn't wait around to see if it goes away when it's hot.

I didn't hear the knock yesterday.

I ordered a clutch side gasket in preparation to yanking off the clutch cover to have a looksee. I don't want to take it off before I get the new gasket first and I don't want to get frustrated waiting for one after I find out.
What's the mileage on the bike?

bee? the heck - damn

what did i write more than 1 times - check the f..king carrier bolts in the clutch - and that at ALL haya delivered till 2012 !
you lucky man - you were 1/1000 inch away from a huge demage as shown here at my page - DAMN!
View attachment 1642172

View attachment 1642173

and again and again i strongly demand the research of the carrier bolts if they are "glued / loc-tited" in

and here again the spec. sound of - only - a loose screw (the carrier bolt was yet not loose)

hint:
the paper-cover-seal you can substitute by a "fluid / creamy" temperature-resistant sealant (from a tube)

Yikes, I ran 430kms home with mine carrying on mid ride.

bee? the heck - damn

View attachment 1642172

View attachment 1642173

hint:

I figured a bike with this mileage and age that this issue would have been dealt with before hand.....thankfully I caught it in time and fixed it.

I'll put the gasket and cover on today and will go pick up some oil as it was due for a change anyway.

Fingers crossed nothing leaks...

For what it is worth, during my days with Mercedes, if we found any of this in a tech’s toolbox, he was gone, bye bye.

Well...that was Mercedes.
I guess you need to talk to the Big 4 and tell them to stop using sealant instead of gaskets for so many engine components.
Tell Honda that their 2-stroke 250R engine is not one of the greatest engines ever...since there is no center case gasket...only sealant.
I could go on with examples.
Oh, and Mercedes-Benz just happens to be the 2nd fastest depreciating vehicles on the market(next to the other German, #1 is BMW)
Amazing how such fine machines go downhill so fast...

There was a recall for it on early model gen2's, and it was supposedly only a problem for a year or 2, but there have been several later model gen2's that have posted here with the problem.
Fortunately it's an easy fix, and even if you hear the bolt heads dragging the inside of the cover, there is no real damage, aside from needing to get any aluminum shavings out of the oil asap.

Back