Dreaded Clutch knock...

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Started up the Bumblebee in preparation for a short ride and when it started up I heard a slight knock coming from the clutch at idle, I let the clutch out and the knock gets a little louder then when I pull the clutch in the knock gets quieter. I can feel the knock on the clutch cover with my hand.

I didn't wait around to see if it goes away when it's hot.

I didn't hear the knock yesterday.

I ordered a clutch side gasket in preparation to yanking off the clutch cover to have a looksee. I don't want to take it off before I get the new gasket first and I don't want to get frustrated waiting for one after I find out.

You can pull the cover on the kickstand and not lose any oil.
If it's just backed out bolts, I'de loc-tite them, clean it off and put the cover and old gasket back.
It might weep a little oil, but not enough to matter.
It would keep you riding, especially if you're running out of good days before the new gasket arrives.

So as I was sitting here mulling over this conundrum....I said to myself, since the bike is down until I get the gasket, I might as well tear into it and see if something else needs to be ordered..

It took only minutes to get the fairing off and I decided it's a good time to do an oil change as well so I dumped the oil and took off the clutch cover...

I always like getting that satisfaction of finding the problem right off...as soon as I put a socket to the carrier bolts...3 of them were loose (really loose) with one almost at the end of it's threads and was just starting to contact the cover enough to remove a very thin layer of paint...in other words, I caught it just in time and it's a good thing I didn't run it any longer. I took all the carrier bolts out (inner and outer) and applied Loc-tite followed by the proper torque specs...now to patiently await the gasket because I will not re-use one as that's just a leak waiting to happen.

Just called the seller and it could be up to end Oct before gasket is here, so I called the dealership and they said maybe Nov the way parts are coming in these days.

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

So as I was sitting here mulling over this conundrum....I said to myself, since the bike is down until I get the gasket, I might as well tear into it and see if something else needs to be ordered..

It took only minutes to get the fairing off and I decided it's a good time to do an oil change as well so I dumped the oil and took off the clutch cover...

I always like getting that satisfaction of finding the problem right off...as soon as I put a socket to the carrier bolts...3 of them were loose (really loose) with one almost at the end of it's threads and was just starting to contact the cover enough to remove a very thin layer of paint...in other words, I caught it just in time and it's a good thing I didn't run it any longer. I took all the carrier bolts out (inner and outer) and applied Loc-tite followed by the proper torque specs...now to patiently await the gasket because I will not re-use one as that's just a leak waiting to happen.

Just called the seller and it could be up to end Oct before gasket is here, so I called the dealership and they said maybe Nov the way parts are coming in these days.
Nice catch

I ordered a clutch side gasket in preparation to yanking off the clutch cover to have a looksee. I don't want to take it off before I get the new gasket first and I don't want to get frustrated waiting for one after I find out.
I imagine it's one of those foil gaskets. I ordered one and decided to use a fiber one I had instead. It's probably pretty hard to keep that foil gasket in place when you put the cover back on. I ordered a used clucthc cover for my other bike and it had a used gasket on it. I put it on as it was and no leaks. If the gaskets not damaged, it's probably worthwhile to reuse it.

I imagine it's one of those foil gaskets. I ordered one and decided to use a fiber one I had instead. It's probably pretty hard to keep that foil gasket in place when you put the cover back on. I ordered a used clucthc cover for my other bike and it had a used gasket on it. I put it on as it was and no leaks. If the gaskets not damaged, it's probably worthwhile to reuse it.
I noted a little gasket maker on this one so it might have been reused before....the one I ordered is OEM spec

I'd rather lose my season than be impatient and have to replace the gasket due to a leak but if I find out I can't get a gasket before my riding season is over, I'll chance it.

I noted a little gasket maker on this one so it might have been reused before....the one I ordered is OEM spec

I'd rather lose my season than be impatient and have to replace the gasket due to a leak but if I find out I can't get a gasket before my riding season is over, I'll chance it.

Chance it man
When today is done...it's gone forever.
Don't miss good riding.
Any leaks should be minor, and you'll have all winter to fix it right.
And, to the good, a big leak will show itself by blowing on the pipe, and you'll see smoke and smell burnt oil.
Not something I'de normally do(I really don't half-ass things), but to salvage your riding season, it's worth it.

Chance it man
When today is done...it's gone forever.
Don't miss good riding.
Any leaks should be minor, and you'll have all winter to fix it right.
And, to the good, a big leak will show itself by blowing on the pipe, and you'll see smoke and smell burnt oil.
Not something I'de normally do(I really don't half-ass things), but to salvage your riding season, it's worth it.
Maybe....I'm kind of OCD about such things...but if I get no love on a new gasket, I will be chancing it...

The big takeaway is I'm sure glad I found the issue....

Maybe....I'm kind of OCD about such things...but if I get no love on a new gasket, I will be chancing it...

The big takeaway is I'm sure glad I found the issue....

Yeah, I'm glad you found it, and for no more than the cost of a new gasket.
I agree, kinda hard to put the old one back, but kinda hard to not ride with a minor leak too, but I get it.
Maybe you'll be fortumate and get it quickly.

Yeah, I'm glad you found it, and for no more than the cost of a new gasket.
I agree, kinda hard to put the old one back, but kinda hard to not ride with a minor leak too, but I get it.
Maybe you'll be fortumate and get it quickly.
I messaged the seller and asked if they can expedite the shipment even if I have to pay more...they haven't got back to me yet.

When I called the dealership they said to put a fine film of Permatex on the surfaces and reuse it but I really don't like gasket maker and avoid it as much as possible...

Started up the Bumblebee in preparation for a short ride and when it started up I heard a slight knock coming from the clutch at idle, I let the clutch out and the knock gets a little louder then when I pull the clutch in the knock gets quieter. I can feel the knock on the clutch cover with my hand.

I didn't wait around to see if it goes away when it's hot.

I didn't hear the knock yesterday.

That was a Suzuki recall. I did not use the dealer, did mine myself. Those bolts need locktite.

If I recall it is the blue, you need to clean the bolts with a solvent, locktite and use the correct torque.

That was a Suzuki recall. I did not use the dealer, did mine myself. Those bolts need locktite.

If I recall it is the blue, you need to clean the bolts with a solvent, locktite and use the correct torque.
Yep, all done now....

As the bike is an '09 with 50,000kms on it, I would have thought this was already taken care of....I didn't find any Loctite on the bolts I took out though...

I messaged the seller and asked if they can expedite the shipment even if I have to pay more...they haven't got back to me yet.

When I called the dealership they said to put a fine film of Permatex on the surfaces and reuse it but I really don't like gasket maker and avoid it as much as possible...

Yamabond and Hondabond are leaps and bounds above rtv silicone, and there are alot of components where that's the only thing used, no other gasket.
I would definately do that, and put money on it not leaking.
I use either or both on every engine I do.
I have a Kawasaki 220 Bayou engine on the bench...and it'll get Honda and or Yamaha sealant, lol
(I gotta hurry up and finish this thing!)

20210930_220444.jpg

Nice catch. Glad you got it before it got worse.
With our season fast approaching, you’ve made me want to check mine at the pre season oil change.
I got lucky...not so lucky trying to find a gasket though....and I hesitate to reuse the original.

Back